Walgreens TY cd-r Meida

Went into Walgreens today.

Maxell MIJ 32x CD-RMusic 20 pack with cases $6.99.

Since my local two SAMS clubs quit selling the 50 packs with cases for $17-$18…I figured this was very close to the same deal…maybe even a few cents cheaper…where is my calculator lol

They also had Computer Essentials brand…32x CD-R for $11.99 (50 pk I think) but no made in sticker…I was tempted to pick up a spindle…only 32x cd-r I have seen in the last year was TY?? No made sticker meaning it does not say where it was made?? Never seen that before either?

Any one know who makes the Computer Essentials brand for Walgreens?

Ahh the title is Media lol

I don’t know what that media is.

I was out to Sam’s just a few ago and no more Maxell CD-R’s :doh:

[QUOTE=Roadhog32901;1935829]Went into Walgreens today.

Maxell MIJ 32x CD-RMusic 20 pack with cases $6.99.

Since my local two SAMS clubs quit selling the 50 packs with cases for $17-$18…I figured this was very close to the same deal…maybe even a few cents cheaper…where is my calculator lol

They also had Computer Essentials brand…32x CD-R for $11.99 (50 pk I think) but no made in sticker…I was tempted to pick up a spindle…only 32x cd-r I have seen in the last year was TY?? No made sticker meaning it does not say where it was made?? Never seen that before either?

Any one know who makes the Computer Essentials brand for Walgreens?

Ahh the title is Media lol[/QUOTE]

The Computer Essentials brand, which is a private label exclusive to Walgreen’s, is entirely made by Ritek in Taiwan. The Computer Essentials-branded CD-Rs always code out to 97m15s17f (Ritek), and their DVD-Rs code out to RITEKF1; their DVD+Rs alternate between RITEK F16 and RICOHJPN R03 MIDs.

RJL65…so are those Computer Essentials brand cd-r any good or not?? MIT I kind of figure so-so??

Rolling…I told you my two SAMS where I leve went out fast on those cd-r TY 50 packs with cases…it is hard to believe they sold them that fast…I kind of wonder is they store them for Holiday item space which they may need???

The Walgreens is a better deal by a few cents if it is not just a local thing…which I doubt.

Sams 50 pack x2 @ almost$18=$36 per 100 (I can’t remember I think it was like $17.96 per 50)??
Walgreens 20 pack x 5 @6.99=$34.95 per 100

BTW one wal-mart here has MIJ cd-r Pro Maxell for music 48x @ 11.99 per 25 pack spindle (Yea…I wanted some bad and bought a spindle) .

The same Wal_Mart has what looks to be the exact same cd-r MIJ 48x but for photos for $10.99. Like a fool I payed the extra $1 to be sure but I am sure it is the music industy fee or something.

[QUOTE=Roadhog32901;1936023]RJL65…so are those Computer Essentials brand cd-r any good or not?? MIT I kind of figure so-so??[/QUOTE]

Those Ritek-made CD-Rs are usually very good. The 32x rating is a giveaway that these CD-Rs are designed to be used in consumer standalone home audio CD recorders, which cannot record on regular non-“music” CD-Rs at all. And you’re paying a bit extra for the “music” designation on a CD-R.

For the record, Sony’s “Music” CD-Rs are not designated with a maximum speed rating at all – but (at least with those batches made by TY) their maximum burning speed turned out to be 32x (as detected by the firmware of modern CD/DVD drives).

I bought those MIJ Maxell Photo CD-r pro at OfficeDepot on sale a month ago or so. With the OfficeMax coupon I ended paying $12 for 2 25-packs. (hey Negritud is a great teacher!)

[QUOTE=camellote;1936097]I bought those MIJ Maxell Photo CD-r pro at OfficeDepot on sale a month ago or so. With the OfficeMax coupon I ended paying $12 for 2 25-packs. (hey Negritud is a great teacher!)[/QUOTE]Those are good TY’s :cool:

office depot will take the 10 off 20 office max coupon hey…nice to know

[QUOTE=camellote;1936097]I bought those MIJ Maxell Photo CD-r pro at OfficeDepot on sale a month ago or so. With the OfficeMax coupon I ended paying $12 for 2 25-packs. (hey Negritud is a great teacher!)[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile:

Yes, every once in awhile, Office Depot will have the 25-pack of Maxell CD-R Pro (or CD-R Photo as they now call them) on sale for $9.99. These are usually Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs with hardcoat anti-scratch protection, so they are about as good as it gets in the consumer market. The $9.99 price is about the same as Walmart’s everyday price. However, the advantage of buying them at Office Depot is that you can often use a coupon to make it a much better deal. Note that, the use of a competitor coupon at Office Depot is YMMV. That means that not every store will accept them, but you have nothing to lose so go in and try it anyway.

For regular Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, the best deal is always at K-Mart, where they periodically put the 50-pack of Fuji brand CD-Rs on sale for only $7. Fuji CD-Rs that are Made in Japan are always Taiyo Yuden, and many K-Marts restock with lots of MIJ media just before they have a big sale. I’m expecting another sale to be coming up pretty soon.

Lastly, the other place to find a good deal on TYs is at FYE (For Your Entertainment). They often have “2 for 1” or “Buy 1 Get 1 Free” sales on the 50-pack of Fuji CD-Rs, and you can sometimes find MIJ spindles there. A spindle is usually $15 at FYE, so with the sale, it comes out to $7.50 per spindle.

If you like Ritek CD-Rs, the best deal on those is always at Office Depot. Office Depot brand CD-Rs are mostly Ritek, and it’s easy to spot Maxell CD-Rs that are Ritek by simply looking at the part number on the spindle. Office Depot has periodic sales on both brands of CD-Rs that often turn out to be ridiculously low, sometimes aided by a coupon. The last time, if I remember correctly, many people got the 100-pack of Maxell CD-Rs for only $6 a spindle (that doesn’t include the price mistake where some people got them for free; I’m only counting the legitimate price). That wasn’t just a one-time thing, but the kind of opportunity that pops up again and again.

The key to buying CD-Rs is to wait for the right sale as I’ve outlined above, and then stock up. It’s the same with dual-layer media. Don’t just buy one spindle and then end up running out and having to pay too much. Unlike single-layer DVDs, the really good sales on CD-Rs and DL DVDs are fewer and far between.