Walgreen's private-label brand is no longer Computer Essentials, but is now Corner Office

vbimport

Sadly, Computer Essentials has been replaced by the new Corner Office brand. What’s worse, with the name change, the MIT Ritek media is also gone from Walgreen’s private-label brand, having been replaced by MIC discs from Umedisc (possibly with faked media codes).

:o :a :sad:

Meaning I won’t be buying any now!

[QUOTE=RCM;2120236]Meaning I won’t be buying any now![/QUOTE]

And Walgreen’s isn’t the only retail company to do this. Since Best Buy bought the Dynex brand, their discs also went from Ritek-made stock to Umedisc-made crap (though you might still find NOS packages at Best Buy which have Ritek-made discs).

In addition, it’s becoming harder and harder to find Ritek-made discs on American retail store shelves. Maxell has recently switched its primary supplier from Ritek to (you guessed it) CMC Magnetics. The two big brands which use CMC as their primary supplier (Maxell and the Imation group), however, will continue to use Ritek occasionally.

I hope Maxell isn’t replacing the Ritek CD’s with CMC :eek:

[QUOTE=RJL65;2120488]And Walgreen’s isn’t the only retail company to do this. Since Best Buy bought the Dynex brand, their discs also went from Ritek-made stock to Umedisc-made crap (though you might still find NOS packages at Best Buy which have Ritek-made discs).

In addition, it’s becoming harder and harder to find Ritek-made discs on American retail store shelves. Maxell has recently switched its primary supplier from Ritek to (you guessed it) CMC Magnetics. The two big brands which use CMC as their primary supplier (Maxell and the Imation group), however, will continue to use Ritek occasionally.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=RJL65;2120488]And Walgreen’s isn’t the only retail company to do this. Since Best Buy bought the Dynex brand, their discs also went from Ritek-made stock to Umedisc-made crap (though you might still find NOS packages at Best Buy which have Ritek-made discs).

In addition, it’s becoming harder and harder to find Ritek-made discs on American retail store shelves. Maxell has recently switched its primary supplier from Ritek to (you guessed it) CMC Magnetics. The two big brands which use CMC as their primary supplier (Maxell and the Imation group), however, will continue to use Ritek occasionally.[/QUOTE]

OK, since no one else said it yet, I will: The race to the bottom continues! :bigsmile:

You can still find Ritek in the Dynex 100-pack. The problem is, those only go on sale once a year, during Black Friday.

You can also still find Ritek CDs and DVDs under the Office Depot house brand.

And doesn’t it seem a bit weird to folks that we’re pining away for Ritek, one of the most hated manufacturers on the planet? If anything, a switch to CMC would seem to be an improvement.

And doesn’t it seem a bit weird to folks that we’re pining away for Ritek, one of the most hated manufacturers on the planet? If anything, a switch to CMC would seem to be an improvement.

My experiences with CMC Magnetic CDs is quite dismal. They’re the only CDs I’ve ever lost data on (and how!), and they take damage from the passage of time at much higher rates than any other manufacturer I can think of.
Taiyo Yuden makes the best CDs I agree, but behind them I’ve found MBI to be close, Prodisc and Ritek not far behind.
CMC Magnetics, terrible, I wouldn’t knowingly give them to my worst enemy.

Though, if you’re looking for something special, Prodisc does some discs that, as well as being reliable, also have excellent aesthetic value. Personally I have always liked CDs that have coloured/black substrates, Prodisc does a lot of them for Memorex Cool Colours (alongside CMC MAG) as well as for it’s own brand and SmartBuy.
In fact, I just picked up a 50 pack of printable top black bottom Prodiscs from SVP. Great little puppies.
'spose that makes me a Prodisc man

But I digress.
If you’re just going to the store to get plain old ordinary CD-Rs that just work reasonably well at a good price, you can’t go wrong with manufacturers like Ritek, Prodisc, MBI and perhaps a few others.
So I would concur that switchin to CMC MAG is a downgrade, after all, these discs are probably not aimed at the enthusiast crowd. i.e. 99% of their customers probably don’t really know what they’re buying in any case.
Kinda like me back years ago when I acquired all those damned CMC MAGs :a

[QUOTE=RJL65;2119990]Sadly, Computer Essentials has been replaced by the new Corner Office brand. What’s worse, with the name change, the MIT Ritek media is also gone from Walgreen’s private-label brand, having been replaced by MIC discs from Umedisc (possibly with faked media codes).[/QUOTE]

In the past, I had no problem with the “Computer Essentials” brand. So when the “Corner Office” brand of DVD+R recently showed up at my local Walgreens I couldn’t pass up the sale price of $9 for a pack of 25. Additionally, the kid at the photo counter told me they were actually Verbatim DVDs being sold under the Walgreen’s brand name–(and in fact they are media coded as “MCC 004”.)

I don’t know who the manufacturer really is, but these are the WORST blank DVDs I have ever purchased. The media side of the first one out of the box was so badly scratched I tossed it in the trash. So I decided to run some tests on the next few by re-burning some existing movie backups.

While they burn (and verify) properly using Imgburn at 4X speed, they completely fail the Nero Disk Quality test. The real problem is that they are not even watchable on my Panasonic stand-alone DVD player. The movie will often pause while playing–with the pause lasting as long as a minute in some cases. Additionally, the fast-forward and reverse playback functions don’t work and just generate another pause you have to wait through.

I tested about 10 of the 25 purchased now, and the rest are headed for the trash. I wouldn’t even give these away…

By all means please post the scan results here, also did you get a good look at the packaging? Did it say where the product was made?

Scratched MCC004? Probably faked. Does the codes at the bottom conform to the XXXXXX-DVR-XXXX format and have CMC/Prodisc stamper codes?

[QUOTE=SeanW;2142720]By all means please post the scan results here, also did you get a good look at the packaging? Did it say where the product was made?[/QUOTE]
The paper label around the cake box says only “Made in China”.
Normally I burn all my stuff at 8X as a background process, running as many other programs as I want, without any problems. After the first couple failures with these disks, I switched to 4X with absolutely no other applications or user processes running–it didn’t matter. I’ve never had bad scans like this on a single layer DVD before, only on cheap DL disks as it approaches the layer break.
This is a typical result at the 4X speed:

[QUOTE=evo69;2142825]Scratched MCC004? Probably faked. Does the codes at the bottom conform to the XXXXXX-DVR-XXXX format and have CMC/Prodisc stamper codes?[/QUOTE]
No -DVR- code (or otherwise) on the mirror band of the disk. Only the number “M817” directly opposite “DVD+R”. No numbers near the hole either.

I Googled the “M817” and found someone else reporting these to be fake MCC004 media sold under the “RetailPLus” brand at Walmart.

[QUOTE=LesStrater;2142695]In the past, I had no problem with the “Computer Essentials” brand. So when the “Corner Office” brand of DVD+R recently showed up at my local Walgreens I couldn’t pass up the sale price of $9 for a pack of 25. Additionally, the kid at the photo counter told me they were actually Verbatim DVDs being sold under the Walgreen’s brand name–(and in fact they are media coded as “MCC 004”.)

I don’t know who the manufacturer really is, but these are the WORST blank DVDs I have ever purchased. The media side of the first one out of the box was so badly scratched I tossed it in the trash. So I decided to run some tests on the next few by re-burning some existing movie backups.

While they burn (and verify) properly using Imgburn at 4X speed, they completely fail the Nero Disk Quality test. The real problem is that they are not even watchable on my Panasonic stand-alone DVD player. The movie will often pause while playing–with the pause lasting as long as a minute in some cases. Additionally, the fast-forward and reverse playback functions don’t work and just generate another pause you have to wait through.

I tested about 10 of the 25 purchased now, and the rest are headed for the trash. I wouldn’t even give these away…[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the shameful results on the Corner Office brand discs. As I stated at the top of this thread, these are made by UmeDisc in China/Hong Kong, with fake TY or MCC media codes. The Computer Essentials branded discs which you had no problem with, on the other hand, were genuine RiTEK discs (some with Ricoh MIDs).

[QUOTE=LesStrater;2142695]I wouldn’t even give these away…[/QUOTE]

I end up playing around with these kinda discs just for kicks. :wink: It’s not a complete loss, these might be good discs to experiment with. Heh. :bigsmile:

Next time, I guess you’d be better off with real MCC media, like those that start with the big V, or with other well-known media that have the letters TY. :smiley: 'Twould cost you a bit more than 9 bucks but save you the hassle. :wink:

(Leave the crap media collecting to the hardcore aficionados like pepst :smiley: :bigsmile:)