Wal-Mart offers no-contract phone plans

vbimport

I just posted the article Wal-Mart offers no-contract phone plans.

Wal-Mart and TracFone team up to offer two wireless plans that don’t require subscriptions.

Read the full article here: [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21048-wal-mart-offers-no-contract-phone-plans.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21048-wal-mart-offers-no-contract-phone-plans.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wonder who is providing the towers and such. If the coverage is good enough this might be the way to go.

If it takes off it will force the main carriers to drop their prices to compete.

Not bad, but if it is anything like Tracfone, the web browsing capabilities will be extremely limited. Also, will there be email capabilities? Good for the casual cell talker and texter, but not for the more technically inclined.

However, maybe it will force the big 4 to lower their prices…?

Hummm, I just signed up with At&T… was with trac fone… I was told AT&T leased their cell towers to trac fone. here in virginia… It caused a real mess when porting my # over from trac fone … to AT&T

i just checked their website and the 45 dollar plan does not include unlimited data, it includes 30mb only, very misleading and not worth it to me.

[QUOTE=kf7nn;2451254]i just checked their website and the 45 dollar plan does not include unlimited data, it includes 30mb only, very misleading and not worth it to me.[/QUOTE]

I also checked the website and the $45 plan does include unlimited data…the $30 plan is limited to 30 MBs though

this one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11604093

says 30mb

According to Straight Talk’s website, they are running on Verizon Wireless network.

I wonder if my son can transfer over his TracFone? That’s costing me $80 for 900 minutes with a text burn of 1/3 minute per text. Although, unless he goes over 300 minutes a month, it’s hardly worth it.

The problem with this is the limited selection of phones at quite high prices (for a prepaid service). Also Sprint pcs has an unlimited voice plan for $35/month (voice only-- no features, which isn’t heavily advertised for obvious reasons). Many people say Sprint has limited coverage and that which they do have (both pcs & boost mobile) sucks! Just keep in mind there ARE other companies offering similar deals with different phones so you are best served by comparison shopping these prepaid offers. Also, read reviews of the carriers as all are not created equal. Word on the street-Sprint is the worst carrier struggling with capacity/quality issues. The next shoe to drop obviously is prepaid buckets of minute prices to drop and/or get more competitive.

Some choices (vary in coverage so do your research):

Tracfone/StraightStalk
Sprint PCS, Sprint Boost Mobile
Virgin Mobile NEW UNLIMIED PLAN
Tmobile Unlimited plan NEW/revised
Cricket prepaid unlimited
PagePlus

etc…

My question if anybody can answer it after seeing interview with head of Sprint (who have lost market and trying to get it back with new marketing and 4G) is that your average Blackberry or Iphone is not a $99,$199 or $299 prduct but bsically costs about $600 to produce and buy by the companies linked to various smart phone types.So will this only apply to cheper text and voice or be full featured smart phones?That $78 over a 2 year contract subsidizes the cost of the leading edge phones.If Wal-Mart can sell one of the powerful phones it will cause a price competition and perhaps explosion of top end phones and thus scale of production and lowering of price.But will they have enough fee for network and powerful phones?In this world they have bypassed wired phones and Billionaires have been created by supplying all these phones but my guess is the sophistication/cost of top of devices might not fit into halving of cost which many people cannot afford here let alone in developing world.Thoughts?
Chazz

I have Straight Talk. It’s amazing. It is run on the Verizon network. It’s so cheap and easy. I was previously with AT&T and hated it.

Straight Talk is running on Verizon’s network and Towers which has been voted the best network in the USA, and I must say that I’ve got far better reception on Straight Talk now than I had on my old Sprint contract. It’s nationwide too so I don’t need roaming nor do I have to pay any extra for long distance. With offers like these I think contract will soon become a thing of the past.

I’m very happy with Straight Talk. I have the Samsung QWERTY phone and it is awesome.The price is really good too.

The best thing about Straight Talk is its simplicity. I am so tired of wading through funky phone bills with mysterious charges and fees.

I really appreciate the savings, of course, but not having those awful and undecipherable bills has been a great stress-reducer.

I just heard about this smart talk from my brother, who loves it. My only concern is that they have very limited phones to offer. If I pick a phone know and they soon add new phones to offer, then I’m screwed. Are these all that will work with smart talk or dose anyone know of others? Please help if you can. My contract with A.T.& T is up in 30 days, and they give me nothing but problems. Thanks

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=lostnfound;2491263 My only concern is that they have very limited phones to offer. If I pick a phone know and they soon add new phones to offer, then I’m screwed.[/quote]what about buying a phone you like and have the contract separately? Or is such an option not available?
For me this was the preferred option.
Getting a phone of my choice without branding (including some nasty things like buttons you easily press and get rewarded by a pricey connection :Z ) or other crippling.
So I am free in choosing the provider and contract.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2491267]Hi and Welcome!what about buying a phone you like and have the contract separately? Or is such an option not available?
For me this was the preferred option.
Getting a phone of my choice without branding (including some nasty things like buttons you easily press and get rewarded by a pricey connection :Z ) or other crippling.
So I am free in choosing the provider and contract.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I’m not 100% sure, but I think you can get any phone in what they call “Unlocked”. I believe this means that you can use it with any carrier, but that still may not be the case with a prepaid carrier. Would be something to check into if you “have” to have a specific phone to fit your likes or needs.

Hi,[QUOTE=427invader;2491356]I’m not 100% sure, but I think you can get any phone in what they call “Unlocked”.[/quote]I prefer the words “retail product” versus “bundled” :slight_smile:

I believe this means that you can use it with any carrier,
Exactly :iagree:
but that still may not be the case with a prepaid carrier.
Never heard of such - at least not here in Germany. With a prepaid contract, I have two options:[list=1.]
[li]Use any unlocked phone that is able to use the network of the provider of choice (99% of current phones are) and buy the SIM card.
[/li][li]Get a bundle of phone and SIM. The phone is somewhat sponsored, thus locked to the SIM or provider. After 24 months, you can request an unlock code from the provider for free, if you don’t want to wait that long, you have to pay 100 Euro (140 USD) for the unlock code.
[/li]Additionally, most phones that are bundled with prepaid contracts are basic models, so such a bundle isn’t a very attractive option, IMO.
[/list]

Michael

I’m not 100% sure, but I think you can get any phone in what they call “Unlocked”. I believe this means that you can use it with any carrier, but that still may not be the case with a prepaid carrier. Would be something to check into if you “have” to have a specific phone to fit your likes or needs.

Around here there are tons of shady shops that will happily unlock any perpaid simlocked phone for a couple of euro’s. Best thing of all is that you don’t breach any contract whatsover, since you didn’t sign any contract in the first place. Completely legal. My last prepaid phone had its simlock removed within 30 minutes of purchase.

Use any unlocked phone that is able to use the network of the provider of choice (99% of current phones are) and buy the SIM card.
Get a bundle of phone and SIM. The phone is somewhat sponsored, thus locked to the SIM or provider. After 24 months, you can request an unlock code from the provider for free, if you don’t want to wait that long, you have to pay 100 Euro (140 USD) for the unlock code.
Additionally, most phones that are bundled with prepaid contracts are basic models, so such a bundle isn’t a very attractive option, IMO.

Same around here, but it can still be legal to have your simlocked subscription phone unlocked in said shady shops. Depends on the contract.

In addition to that, it can also be very very beneficial if you can change the IMEI number if you never want ot be traced. Because your a mob member or just very paranoid on privacy. If you can connect to a network with a completely random IMEI number, that would be very awesome!

[QUOTE=lostnfound;2491263]I just heard about this smart talk from my brother, who loves it. My only concern is that they have very limited phones to offer. If I pick a phone know and they soon add new phones to offer, then I’m screwed. Are these all that will work with smart talk or dose anyone know of others? Please help if you can. My contract with A.T.& T is up in 30 days, and they give me nothing but problems. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Straight talk is a relatively new service so they just introduced the 3 models of phones. It’s not likely they will update the lineup anytime soon. You can just be aware that down the line, with the popularity of “touch screen” phones that it’s likely that straight talk will have one of these “smart” phones one day… but your investment is safe. If the phone lasts you 1 year (based on the $29.99 - $99.99 price) you’ve had your money’s worth. 1-year warranty on all hansets is an industry standard.