Wal-Mart and BestBuy take on music industry for 10 dollar CDs

I just posted the article Wal-Mart and BestBuy take on music industry for 10 dollar CDs.

heystoopid used our news submit to tell us "Now, we know why the  artist and musician royalty payments are in rapid and continuing decline, the  article in the magazine "Rollingstone" on 12th...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9273-Wal-Mart-and-BestBuy-take-on-music-industry-for-10-dollar-CDs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9273-Wal-Mart-and-BestBuy-take-on-music-industry-for-10-dollar-CDs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“Wal-Mart has no long-term care for an individual artist or marketing plan” Like the RIAA does either. RIAA’s bottom line has always been to protect their revenue, rather than care about their products, artists or customers. I sure hope the RIAA takes a stand & keeps the prices high, excludes Wallmart & goes bankrupt when their expenses exceed their sales. Maybe music will get back on track & some of those “Indi” labels with some value & integrity that foster creativity, rather than the usual fodder, will become much larger & improve the music industry because if it.

A battle of giants. Ultimately, it is up to the music labels to set the price they want for the music. If Wal-Mart doesn’t like it they can quit buying them. The labels can then try to find a new place to sell product. and wal-Mart can see DVDs with a higher margin. If the labels can’t afford to lose 20% of sales then they better find a retailer who will pay what they ask. I can make little wooden trinkets at home and charge $500 for them. I cannot, however, make anyone buy them for that amount. I have to determine what people will pay and decide if I can make enough from that amount to continue. If not I need a new product or a cheaper way to make them so I can be profitable. If I can’t then I will soon be out of business.
[edited by Shayde on 19.10.2004 18:11]

Hmmmm, maybe Britney Spears doesn’t NEED to be paid so much that she can spend $10,000 to have a cup of her favorite coffee flown to where ever she is on a tour… ?

How the hell does Wal-Mart manage to sell that many CDs when all of their stock are the edited versions? God people are stupid…