Wait! Don't Buy Microsoft Windows Vista

vbimport

Here’s a well-considered list of reasons to wait on buying Windows Vista.

Story: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128669-page,1/article.html

:cool: :cool:

Wow what a crap article.

Not having a pop at platinum but that is just basically Anti-Vista.

I’ll never buy Vista! Microsoft gave it to me! :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean that anyone planned on buying it anyway? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s good to have an open opinion.

I most likely consider running both XP and Vista. Vista only for DX10. But right now I am going to wait. Another 7 years of XP support from M$ and another service pack to come. Not that I’ll wait 7 years for Vista just not now.

The same rubbish all over again whenever MS releases (spits out) a new operating system. They said too the same shit about Windows XP, that people should stick to Windows 98 :slight_smile:

As an official beta tester and user of Vista Ultimate (thanks Microsoft), I must say that it is not that bad - I mean ok the ultimate version requires 8GB, but hey, no big deal - Terrabyte capacity drives will be the norm soon so why worry :smiley: If you have the latest or a fast graphic card, lots of ram and a good processor why not. Also VISTA is not just about DX10 i see some improvement over XP in many aspects. For one, disk access / transfer, memory access, CPU - And DX9 games will run faster too and better. Excellent stability for me, fast loading games and applications - the only thing that I don’t like too much is bloody internet explorer 7 and the fact you cannot go back to the classic interface in IE, otherwise it’s not that bad - Bloody expensive for an OS but hey MS gave it to me ! BUT I do advise people to wait and not upgrade right away - Like anything new, there should be VISTA SP1 released later in 2007, yes you heard it, SP1 so wait a while still - Of course most of you will download it anyways…but be informed that there are a lot of undocumented anti piracy tricks in VISTA, so don’t think you can get away with using an illegal copy :smiley:

Also VISTA is not just about DX10

Didn’t say it was, XP meets my needs at this point. I was just basicly stating that in order to be able to play DX10 games then I’ll have to upgrade.

BUT I do advise people to wait and not upgrade right away - Like anything new, there should be VISTA SP1 released later in 2007, yes you heard it, SP1 so wait a while still

That’s basicly what the article is telling you if you read all 4 pages. As for you being an official beta tester, great we will leave up to you to find the bugs.

Of course most of you will download it anyways…but be informed that there are a lot of undocumented anti piracy tricks in VISTA, so don’t think you can get away with using an illegal copy

Your making a strong accusation here. I think that you should change your choice of words.

I am now having second thoughts of installing my new copy of Vista Home Premium I got at newegg now. hmmm… :frowning:

I just don’t see a compelling reason to go to Vista. At least no time soon. The comparisons I’ve seen show Vista running very slightly slower on many standard tests. I don’t think any of the software I normally use will perform better and there is no guarantee those programs will run at all, though I think that is unlikely to be a problem.

Some of my hardware might not be compatible, especially my scsi film scanner, so that doesn’t push me towards getting Vista. That problem can be solved by double booting Vista/XP, or learning how to use virtualization software, but that potential headache isn’t something in the plus column for Vista.

Security may indeed be tighter, but I don’t have problems now with XP. A little common sense goes a long way towards a secure system.

As far as I can tell now, the [B]only[/B] thing that might force me to get a copy would be DX10. And it will be a while before anyone comes out with a game I am interested in that makes DX10 an absolute requirement. Could be years.

Yay! Another pretty, slow OS from M$ !

Oops … no comma intended …

Vista could corrupt your iPod

As a gamer the only real reason to upgrade is Directx 10 but the cost is just not easy to swallow and the bad points with DRM/copy-protection will have me waiting a long time. For me the time to switch to open source has come, and windows will be for games only. I can have the nice Linux 3D desktop, free office/programming tools, good protection from virus/malware, free updates(I don’t have to buy business edition if I need two processor support etc) and low cost. Not to mention no DRM or other anti-customer crap.

OY!You say my 3.11 is in need of upgrade???

All that said, Dells laptop are no longer shipping with Xp, and my work just paid for a new laptop for me … so I guess I’ll get to legally play with Vista (Business/premium) in a few days.

I am packing up my brand new Dell Dimension 9200 and sending it back to Dell because Vista was SO UNSTABLE! It locked up 3-4 times per day. Dell’s diagnosis? I was installing incompatible programs - like ITunes, McAfee and Palm Treo software - all the programs I use daily. Their “fix” was to reinstall the original image and not use any of the 3rd party programs until their “Vista Compatible” versions were ready So they’ll take it back and I’ll wait… (Like you should!)

Is that Vistas fault or the 3rd party programs fault for not interfacing with Vista correctly though???

Microsoft designed Vista to work on your PC.
3rd party programs therefore surly need to be made to work on Vista.

Just a different opinion.

Vista on my lappy is stable as a rock … admittedly, the first thing I did was uninstall all the crap that dell bundles with it.

I bet you left that god awful Roxio Easy CD suite on there, didn’t ya :stuck_out_tongue:
With the packet writing sofware … about as stable as a one legged nunriding a unicycle on a tightrope carrying a 50KG bag of bricks in one hand, and a cement trowel in the other.!

First thing to be uninstalled on mine :wink:

But DAMN! Vista is slow … try copying some things across a network on gigabit … or even between two [sata] HD’s (on a desktop PC) and you’ll see what I mean.

Vista spends 10minutes thinking about how long it will take to copy … it then takes 8 minutes to copy it, reporting progress relatively reliably.

WinXP spend 8 minutes copying it, and randomly tells you it’s gonna finish in 15min, 20min, 3min, 10min, 17min, 6min, 4min, 8min, 40sec, 3min, 20sec’s, 10 sec’s, 30sec’s, 5secs. Done!

I’d rather XP’s way of doing things :stuck_out_tongue:

I defraged the hard drive on my new HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. That’s when I realized how slow Vista is! I’ve had a couple of C++ Runtime errors with IE7. :confused:

Hahahahahahaha! :bigsmile: :wink: You crack me up, Debro, my dear fellow Aussie! :iagree: :bigsmile: :wink: