W10 won't boot

vbimport

I am working on an older IDE computer that has had a SATA motherboard installed. The computer won’t boot. When I first started working on the computer it would boot to the BIOS screen and when the W10 Icon appeared and the dotted circle started to move it would lock up, go to a black screen with an arrow cursor showing. The cursor would move when the mouse was used.
I finally got the computer to boot and get past the lock up but not it will boot to the W10 Icon and the circular dotted activity symbol works for a while and then I get a light blue screen with the following:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  We're just checking some error info, and then we'll restart your PC.If you would  like to know more you can search online later for this error 
CHRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED 
Then the computer restarts and goes through the same process again, then restarts.  When the computer restart the third time I get a screen with the following: 
Recovery 

See advanced repair  options                              Restart PC 
     Choose an option.[[no matter what option I choose I get a message that the computer has run into a problem and the option cannot be completed] 

When I choose Command Prompt and run CHKDSK it runs but doesn't check many files.  When I run CHKDSK /f I get a message that says the disk cannot run because this volume is write protected. 

Any suggestions.  Thanks.

Has that system worked properly before the error occured, or is it right from the start/installation ?

Have you tried to boot into safe mode ?
If that works, please upload your latest crashdump file from C:\Windows\Minidump.

If you have an intel system, disable Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT-x) in BIOS,
if AMD, then AMD Secure Virtual Machine (AMD SVM).

Regarding chkdsk, try chkdsk /f /x

Hmm, not sure I follow you entirely, but I am going to assume that you have checked that the motherboard is compatible with Windows 10.

For the write protected disk, your go to in this case is Advanced repair options - command prompt like you suggest, but not chkdsk.exe. It is called diskpart.exe.
Before you commence though, issue the command [B]chkdsk c:[/B] alone to do a read only scan to see if there are errors.

After typing diskpart and hitting enter, your prompt will change to DISKPART> and then there are some commands that needs to be executed.
DISKPART>[B]list disk[/B]
This will list the disks installed. If you only have one, this should be listed as ‘Disk 0’.
DISKPART>[B]select disk 0[/B]
Diskpart wil respond that Disk 0 is selected. This will tell diskpart that the next command is issued to this disk.
DISKPART>[B]attributes disk clear readonly[/B]
This will clear any read only flag set for the disk.
DISKPART>[B]exit[/B]
This exits Diskpart. Now if the read only disk scan revealed any errors, run it again with the needed /F /X and if you need to check for bad sectors /R switches.

Now for the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - This will largely depend on if you have been able to fully boot at all at one point. It could be caused by an active antivirus application if you did an update and it could be caused by corrupted registry hives. It could however also be caused by incompatible hardware.

Some information on the error is given by Microsoft here, but it is probably of limited value unless you are really techy…

[QUOTE=Terramex;2781516]Has that system worked properly before the error occured, or is it right from the start/installation ?

Have you tried to boot into safe mode ?
If that works, please upload your latest crashdump file from C:\Windows\Minidump.

If you have an intel system, disable Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT-x) in BIOS,
if AMD, then AMD Secure Virtual Machine (AMD SVM).

Regarding chkdsk, try chkdsk /f /x[/QUOTE]

Yes, the computer was working fine and one day it wouldn’t boot. Won’t boot into safe mode. Will try the rest when I get time. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2781517]Hmm, not sure I follow you entirely, but I am going to assume that you have checked that the motherboard is compatible with Windows 10.

For the write protected disk, your go to in this case is Advanced repair options - command prompt like you suggest, but not chkdsk.exe. It is called diskpart.exe.
Before you commence though, issue the command [B]chkdsk c:[/B] alone to do a read only scan to see if there are errors.

After typing diskpart and hitting enter, your prompt will change to DISKPART> and then there are some commands that needs to be executed.
DISKPART>[B]list disk[/B]
This will list the disks installed. If you only have one, this should be listed as ‘Disk 0’.
DISKPART>[B]select disk 0[/B]
Diskpart wil respond that Disk 0 is selected. This will tell diskpart that the next command is issued to this disk.
DISKPART>[B]attributes disk clear readonly[/B]
This will clear any read only flag set for the disk.
DISKPART>[B]exit[/B]
This exits Diskpart. Now if the read only disk scan revealed any errors, run it again with the needed /F /X and if you need to check for bad sectors /R switches.

Now for the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - This will largely depend on if you have been able to fully boot at all at one point. It could be caused by an active antivirus application if you did an update and it could be caused by corrupted registry hives. It could however also be caused by incompatible hardware.

Some information on the error is given by Microsoft here, but it is probably of limited value unless you are really techy…[/QUOTE]

Thanks Xercus for the reply. The computer was working fine with
W10 until the not boot problem. When I ran chkdsk before posting it showed no errors but also showed that it read a very few files. Most said 0 files read. Will follow the diskpart instructions and see what happens. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2781548]Thanks Xercus for the reply. The computer was working fine with
W10 until the not boot problem. When I ran chkdsk before posting it showed no errors but also showed that it read a very few files. Most said 0 files read. Will follow the diskpart instructions and see what happens. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Xercus, ran diskpart and when I ran the “attributes disk clear readonly” command I received the message “DiskPart failed to clear disk attributes.”

I ran the /f /x command to see what would show up and one the left was a column with “active, add, assign, attributes, attach, etc”. Thanks.

• Download Hiren’s Boot CD: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

• Burn the ISO to CD or make a bootable USB flash drive, and boot from one of them

• Select Start Mini Windows XP

• Open HBCD Menu -> Programs -> Startup -> Autoruns

• In Autoruns select File -> Analzye Offline System

• System root: select your Windows folder, User Profile: select your User folder (X:\Users{your profile})

• Now select File -> Save, and save the Autoruns.arn file to the desktop

• Open Programs -> Browsers/File Manager -> 7-Zip File Manager, and zip your arn file so it can be attached here in the forum

• Open Windows Start Menu -> Settings -> Network connections

• Then Windows Start Menu -> Programs -> Internet, and attach the arn to your next post

…and don’t forget to zip and attach the crashdump file.
If the file is tto big to be attached upload it to a file hoster like Zippyshare.com

If the network connection doesn’t work save the arn file and the dmp file to a USB flash drive.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2781554]- Download Hiren’s Boot CD: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

• Burn the ISO to CD or make a bootable USB flash drive, and boot from one of them

• Select Start Mini Windows XP

• Open HBCD Menu -> Programs -> Startup -> Autoruns

• In Autoruns select File -> Analzye Offline System

• System root: select your Windows folder, User Profile: select your User folder (X:\Users{your profile})

• Now select File -> Save, and save the Autoruns.arn file to the desktop

• Open Programs -> Browsers/File Manager -> 7-Zip File Manager, and zip your arn file so it can be attached here in the forum

• Open Windows Start Menu -> Settings -> Network connections

• Then Windows Start Menu -> Programs -> Internet, and attach the arn to your next post

…and don’t forget to zip and attach the crashdump file.
If the file is tto big to be attached upload it to a file hoster like Zippyshare.com

If the network connection doesn’t work save the arn file and the dmp file to a USB flash drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Terramex. Will have to study you post, never did what you suggest before and it if a bit confusing. Will get back as soon as possible.

I made it a little bit short.
Please ask if anything is unclear :slight_smile:

My approach is to find out what’s running on your system, and if required, which startup processes should be avoided.

EDIT: just found this tool in case you want to use an USB flash drive to boot from

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-password/how-to-set-your-computer-to-boot-from-usb-drive.html

It has to be emphasized by now that me and Terramex work on opposite ends of this (at least sort of) and so it is no harm following one ‘and’ the other (let us know what you did is all it takes and I am ready for a constructive argument as part of this).

Now, for what I suggest (since you have been able to boot prior to the problem occurring) implies using the Hiren’s Boot CD.

1. Make sure you have additional storage available to Hiren’s MiniWinXP as Terramex suggest you boot to (USB or otherwise)
  2. Go to {WindowsDrive}:\Windows\System32\Config
  3. at that path, make a backup of DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE and SYSTEM to persistent media (don’t take this lightly as it is your lifeline to continue if it does not work)
  4. After a simple copy backup, delete the above files at their original location.
  5. Open {WindowsDrive}:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack
  6. Copy DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE and SYSTEM from this location and paste it to {WindowsDrive}:\Windows\System32\Config
  7. Reboot to your Windows (hopefully).

… 8. Let me know how it goes