VPN users on Chrome and Firefox no longer anonymous due WebRTC

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: VPN users on Chrome and Firefox no longer anonymous due WebRTC[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/02/myce-webrtc-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Firefox and Google Chrome have implemented a technology that makes it possible to obtain IP addresses of VPN users.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/vpn-users-on-chrome-and-firefox-no-longer-anonymous-due-webrtc-74727/](http://www.myce.com/news/vpn-users-on-chrome-and-firefox-no-longer-anonymous-due-webrtc-74727/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thanks for this post. Things like this are not by mistake, IMO. Google wants in your business no matter what your feeling are on the matter. Makes me start to think that they might need broken up like AT&T etc. Too much power in the hands of too few people that use their power for advancement of their personal political agenda and to gain favor with government. Way too much crony capitalism going on between Google and the government for my comfort and things like this prove it.

Can I just say in the last 24 hours I have seen this warning  - a godsend for anonyminity. And also the warning about ABP not blocking ads no more with an ofshoot extension that will.

This is the sort of stuff a computer tech RSS news feed should have IMHO. So massive credit goes to myce for posting these as you are my only RSS computing feed provider who has (and I have 10+ of them).

Pale Moon (an offshoot of Firefox) is not affected by this.

Does anyone know if Opera beta aka Opera Next is affected by this ?
I’m not using VPN I would just like to know.
Since Opera beta is basically Chrome based.

From my testing using HMA VPN:

Opera 27.0 is also affected - It showed my ISP assigned IP address as well as the IP address the VPN assigned.

Internet Explorer 11 is not affected, probably because it does not support WebRTC.

The choice of VPN protocol also seems to matter. If I connect using OpenVPN, which is the default protocol most privacy VPN services use, this test reveals both my real and HMA assigned IP addresses.

However, if I connect using the PPTP protocol (as natively supported by Windows “Connect to a workplace”), this test only reveals the HMA assigned IP address on the three affected browsers.

Users of Google Chrome can enter “chrome://flags/” in their address bar and then enable “Disable WebRTC device enumeration”.
According to my Google Chrome browser on Windows, this is an experimental feature which can only be changed on Android.

[QUOTE=cholla;2746945]Does anyone know if Opera beta aka Opera Next is affected by this ?[/QUOTE]

I’ve just installed Opera Next for curiosity and sure enough it is also affected:

IP notes:

[ul]
[li]10.200.1.103 - Local IP address assigned by HMA.
[/li][li]192.168.56.1 - Local IP address for VirtualBox’s virtual network adapter.
[/li][li]192.168.0.50 - Local IP address on my home network.
[/li][li]109.79.x.x - Public IP address assigned by my ISP.
[/li][li]5.62.25.23 - Public IP address of the HMA server I’m connected through.
[/li][/ul]

@ Seán , Thanks I took care of it.

I have “Download Chrome Extension” in Opera Extensions.
There is a link on the full article page WebRTC Block .
I installed it.
Here’s the results:
Before:

After:

I just tested the Tor Browser and PirateBrowser and they don’t appear to be affected.

As they are Firefox based, I checked about:config in each. In the Tor Browser, the “media.peerconnection.enabled” is already ‘false’.

The PirateBrowser has this setting as ‘true’, however, it could be that the old Firefox version it’s using (23.0) is not affected and there does not appear to be any newer version of it.

Try Slimjet browser (based on Chromium) from http://www.slimjet.com . It provides a simple built-in option to disable webrtc.