For anyone considering using a VPN to mask their activities on the net, Torrentfreak has come out with their 2014 guide for reliable VPN services.
Torrentfreak doesn't try to choose which is the best. They simply asked the same set of questions to 26 different VPN companies and published their replies.
Here are the questions they asked:
1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold and for how long?
2. Under what jurisdictions does your company operate and under what exact circumstances will you share the information you hold with a 3rd party?
3. What tools are used to monitor and mitigate abuse of your service?
4. In the event you receive a DMCA takedown notice or European equivalent, how are these handled?
5. What steps are taken when a valid court order requires your company to identify an active user of your service?
6. Is BitTorrent and other file-sharing traffic allowed on all servers? If not, why?
7. Which payment systems do you use and how are these linked to individual user accounts?
8. What is the most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm you would recommend to your users?