Volume raised WAVE file smaller than original lower volume?

Hey guys.

I don’t have much knowledge in this area but I wanted to raise the volume of a 3hour live show I have.

I merged all the flac files and made a WAVE file which is 1836171 KB.

I then raised the volume of that file in “Audacity” by 9.8db so the highest peak of the recording was at -1db (no clipping).

Then exported the raised volume file as a new WAVE file (raised volume) and it is 1836168 KB.

I’m not very technical with audio so here’s where I am confused.
Shouldn’t the file with the “raised volume” be a bigger file than the file with “lower volume” ?, as nothing has been changed except the volume has been raised, so why is the file with raised volume 3KB smaller than the original WAVE file with lower volume ?

Is this technically correct ?

I don’t understand it as the research I have done on the function I used in Audacity says that it does not do anything but raise the volume without causing clipping / damage etc.

When you have 2 WAVE files which are supposedly exactly the same except one is louder volume shouldn’t the louder volume file contain more info, therefore be bigger ?, not smaller ?

Any help / explantion appreciated.

Thanks

There’s other things that contribute to the filesize other than just the content; like error-checking bytes and file headers. However it’s a good question and so I’ll move it to the Audio forum here… :wink:

Done.

Thanks, sorry for posting in the wrong section…

OK, I think I might have the answer to my own question, but I’d like to hear from anyone who has more knowledge about audio than I do (probably most of you !).

As I explained I created a single WAVE file by merging 30+ FLAC files with GoldWave (the single WAVE file is 1836171 KB).

I then used “amplify” in Audacity to raise the volume 9.8db and exported it as a new WAVE file (the new “higer volume” WAVE file is 1836168 KB which is 3KB smaller than the lower volume WAVE file).

I think I might have just worked out why the “higer volume” WAVE file is losing 3KB and is actually smaller than the “lower” volume WAVE file.

The original WAVE file was created by merging 30+ FLAC files with GoldWave.
When you open that single WAVE file in GoldWave it shows marks where the iniividual FLAC files have been merged.
Once that file has had it’s volume raised in “Audacity” and is then exported as a new WAVE file and you then again opened it in GoldWave it no longer shows the marks where the original FLAC files are merged.

Can somebody with more knowledge than me confirm this is why the “louder” volume WAVE file is actually 3KB smaller than the original “lower volume” file ?

Thanks

To probably answer my own question even further…

I did some “testing” and did the same thing with “Adobe Audition” as I did with “Audacity” and the “Adobe Audition” process also dropped 3KB, so I am more certain now it is to do with the “cure points” being removed in the final conversion to WAVE.

I ran a simple last test.
Simply opened the large WAVE file with Gold Wave (which consists of 30+ FLAC files merged in GoldWave).
Then deleted the cue points and saved it.
The file size dropped by 3KB.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/422/projects/WaveFormat/

Did you try saving it with the cue points? I imagine the cue points are something that can’t / doesn’t usually exist in an audio stream that goldwave inserts to mark transitions.