VOB to MP3 and MP3 to CDA conversion software

Hi,
I have a Perrsonal Video Recorder (Inverto) that I record radio shows on. I can download these progs. in VOB format onto my DVD recorder.
What I want to do is to convert these files to MP3 so that I can listen to them on my player, but also to convert the VOB or MP3 files to CDA (so I can listen to them on my cd player in my car.
Does anyone know of any software that can do both these conversions.
If possible I do not want to spend a fortune on professional software!
I have looked at several progs, such a Isofter, but they only seem to be able to convert one or the other.
Thanks
Terry

Go here: http://www.allformp3.com/vob-to-mp3.htm
This prog will do it in one step. I have a home made PVR. Since VOB is a DVD file, I always do it the hard way by demuxing it to get the audio stream and then convert using Gold Wave or I’mTOO audio encoder. But I am always using the video stream too so that is why I demux.

Thanks a lot. WIll this prog convert MP3 to CDA
cheers
terry

slytrans69,
Is there any software that will allow me to edit VOB files. I have a one minute lead in and out on my PVR, which is all announcer rubbish, and I would like to edit ti out.
terry

CDA isn’t listed in support formats at slytrans69’s link, and I doubt it will do it. I also have a portable recorder used to record class lectures and seek conversion to CDA, but I’m beginning to think there’s no program to do it. GXTranscoder from http://www.germanixsoft.de/joomla/index.php converts to 20 different file types, and CDA is listed in the program but not enabled.

Hi,

if you managed to get your audio stuff in(to) mp3 format, then there is no problem to create a standard audio CD (“CDA”) from that material. Nearly any CD writing software that supports audio CD should to that job.

Michael

The problem with selecting “Make audio CD” in Nero for example is files are too large to fit on a CD while WMA, MP3, AAC, etc. fit with room to spare but won’t play on CD players. I believe the CDA files would fit if there was a way to convert to CDA because that’s file type used when copies of music CDs are made. Is there something like DVDShrink for CDs that would compress files to fit?

I use Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD to do the VOB editing. It is fast and easy to remove parts, join parts rearrange parts etc.

Actually CDA is the same as WAV. On store bought music CD’s they are sometimes recognized as CDA like in Roxio, or as WAV like in XP. Long ago shen I first saw that, I was momentarily confused.

Hi,

the tracks on an audio CD are not organized in files. Showing them as Track.CDA in a file manager like Windows Explorer is only a workaround of the operating system in order to be able to show any contents.

Then you have to select not so much for burning to audio CD.:wink: Or are there really single audio tracks that exceed 80 mins playback time?

I believe the CDA files would fit if there was a way to convert to CDA because that’s file type used when copies of music CDs are made.
There is no such thing as a CDA file. Have you ever checked the properties of audio track from a music CD? Have you ever tried to copy a “CDA file” from an audio CD to HDD using just a file manager? This won’t work at all, so a CD ripper software is needed that “converts” the audio track from the CD to a WAV file on the HDD. (WAV is uncompressed audio here)

Is there something like DVDShrink for CDs that would compress files to fit?
No. Unless there is no need for playback in home CD players. But then you could stick with WMA, MP3 and similar lossy file formats.

Michael

One file I have is 137 minutes which means there’s no way to burn it to a CD that will play on CD player if there’s no file compression program for CD files because WMA, MP3, etc. don’t play on my CD players. Guess I’m out of luck then.

Hi,

In that case, you need an audio editor to split the track in order to put that onto 2 CDs. You can use Nero Wave Editor (if you have a full retail version of Nero) or the free Audacity to do so.

Michael

My Nero is OEM version which likely doesn’t include Wave Editor. I’ll give Audacity a try. Thanks to mciahel for this info.

Hi,

You’re welcome :slight_smile: Also, have a look at the tutorials on the Audacity project website as this is really a powerful tool. It can also handle MP3, so you don’t need to convert them to WAV before editing.

Michael

Files were originally WMA files that were converted to WAV files. Audacity was used to split a 137 minute WAV file into 2 WAV files and burned using Nero “Make Audio CD,” but CD still won’t play on CD player. Did I miss something or do something wrong?

Hi,

as far as I remember, Audacity offers different “export” formats for WAV files. CD audio compatible material must have 44,1 kHz and 16 bit. You can change the settings in Audacity by klicking on the arrow on top of the track and selecting the menu option that applies.

See also http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=files&i=burn-cd and http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Splitting_recordings_into_separate_tracks <-- this adresses your problem in toto :slight_smile:

Each time Audacity is opened it shows 44.1 KHZ and 32 bit which must be default settings. I changed it to 16 bit, and it showed 16 bit when export was selected. However, CD still doesn’t play on CD player, and Audacity shows 32 bit when I open the exported files. I don’t know whether Audacity is failing to change to 16 bit, but for what ever reason CDs don’t play in CD player. Do you know if there’s a way to change Audacity default setting to 16 bit in case that might fix the problem?

Hi,

Edit -> Preferences (Quality and File Formats tabs).
But it seems as if I have to do some additional tests :wink:

EDIT:
Tested this:[ol]
[li]Loaded a MP3 file from my Harddisk, Audacity shows “Stereo 44100 Hz / 32 bit float”
[/li][li]File -> Export as WAV, saved the resulting WAV file on the HDD
[/li][li]Loaded WAV file created previously, Audacity shows “stereo 44100 Hz /16 bit”[/ol]That’s fine for audio CDs. I’ll attach screenshots of my default settings below
[/li]

Michael

My settings changed to same you show, and I did same things you did except my step 1 was loading a WAV file from my harddisk which was created by converting original WMA file using GXTranscoder. I tried using the original WMA file which Audacity indicated complete after only a second or less time, and I think it did nothing due to such short apparent completion time; also WMA isn’t listed under file types to export which makes me think Audacity doesn’t handle WMA file type. I tried again using MP3 file also converted from original WMA file using GXTranscoder. All attempts result in CD that doesn’t play on CD players. Any ideas why or what the solution may be?