Vob to avi

I have a dvd of a movie that I used dvd shrink to shrink down to another dvd. I am wanting to to make that into avi so if something happen to it I will have the avi as backup. Looking at it the movies is on the vob 2.1 - 2.6 . How do I make a dvd of it.

Your question is very confusing. Lets see if I understand

1. You have a dvd made with DVDShrink from a presumably larger original dvd.

2. You wish to convert to avi for some obscure reason, and the vob files you wish to convert are VTS_02_1.VOB through VTS_02_6.VOB

Then you said “How do I make a dvd of it.” Do you want another dvd, just from these vob files? Or do you want to convert to avi using these vob files? Or both?

It is possible to use DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode and the Set Start/End Frames tool to cut out only the part of the movie that you want to save.

You could also use VobBlanker to select only the .vob files that you want. Go to Digital Digest and look at the simple guide to VobBlanker

Either method will work and will give you a dvd containing only the section you want in dvd format.

Once you have this in hand, you can convert it to avi if you wish to do so. AutoGK is one tool for this conversion. You can also use the Celtic_Druid version of FairUse Wizard for free, but you have to start with an ISO image file of the dvd or burn to a disk and work with it from your drive if you choose FairUse Wizard.

Is there some compelling reason to convert to avi? Most people do it to save space, or because they want to play it on a portable player that won’t play dvds natively. In the latter case, most go to mpg4.

In this instance, VOBBlanker is the best option (one of the options mentioned by Kerry). You can simply only keep VTS 2 and blank everything else. Then you can go str8t to burning it to DVD with whichever burning software you’d like.

But one thing sticks out in my mind, and that’s that this is probably the main movie, in which case you can simply use DVDShrink to do movie only in Re-Author mode.

sorry I was in a hurry when I wrote it. I meant to say that I wanted to convert it to a avi to save space so in the future, if the dvd it on now get damage, I could make it back to a dvd,

[QUOTE=pwjnc;1961659]sorry I was in a hurry when I wrote it. I meant to say that I wanted to convert it to a avi to save space so in the future, if the dvd it on now get damage, I could make it back to a dvd,[/QUOTE]

I see, well you still can use DVDShrink in re-author mode to do that VTS 02 as VOBs.
And if you plan to reduce it’s size down to an AVI file, but in the future re-convert it to DVD format to put back onto a DVD… well then your best bet would be to use Auto GK utilizing the Xvid codec. This will create an AVI that will minimize video degredation of reducing it’s size, and then you may get a reasonable video when re-converting it to DVD.

Xvid just has been the best for me in terms of what you are saying you’d like to do. Any other methods or codecs might look real crappy when re-converting back to a DVD.