VOB splitter? (multiple episodes)

vbimport

I’ve been looking around and it seems like for some DVDs its best to rip the entire thing into one VOB and then split it manually by episode.
Some DVDs are organized nicely and the files are split up by episode, but other DVDs are not.
So are there any good freeware VOB splitters out there?

Unless there’s a clever software out there that can tell the start and end points of episodes despite the fact that the VOB files on the DVD are not split up that way.

MakeMKV is good for ripping episodic DVDs. It says ‘trialware’ but as long as it’s in Beta it’s free. And the DVD part (according to the authors) will remain free. It rips a DVD into individual files (one per episode) but puts the MPEG2 into a MKV container (retaining all audio and subtitle tracks and chapter points).

That sounds like something that might work. I will try it, thank you.

IIRC, you may have to renew the beta key from time to time.

I thought of suggesting MakeMKV as I’ve been playing with it lately. The only problem I see is you will need to convert back to DVD compliant format for playing on a standalone . Or some other format your standalone will play .
You could do it with DVDShrink but you will need do the start & end manually for each episode.

[QUOTE=Arwen17;2591024]I’ve been looking around and it seems like for some DVDs its best to rip the entire thing into one VOB and then split it manually by episode.
Some DVDs are organized nicely and the files are split up by episode, but other DVDs are not.
So are there any good freeware VOB splitters out there?

Unless there’s a clever software out there that can tell the start and end points of episodes despite the fact that the VOB files on the DVD are not split up that way.[/QUOTE]

I know you’re trying to go down the freeware route but if you already have ripping or compression software that supports it you could do a movie only copy for each episode.

If you haven’t already got software that’s capable of doing this then one freeware solution would be to process each episode separately in DVDShrink using reauthor mode.

[B]Wombler[/B]