VOB Passthrough problem

Hi everyone,

I have been using DVDFAB Platinum (option: mobile) for some time now currently using version 5.2.3.2 with lifetime activation (paid up of course).

I always use the “generic” option followed by vob pass through (which I believe is 100% quality), I don’t split the file I create one single file.

I have a MG450HD media player (2 in fact) which plays the vob files created by DVDFAB really well.

However there are some movies (for example Wall-E, Chicken Little, Monster House to name a few) which exhibit a very odd fault at certain intervals during playback.

This fault is as follows (I’ll try my best to explain) it is similar to a micro fast forward of about 2, 3 or 10 seconds worth of play time. It almost appears like a micro skip both video & audio “micro skip” generally speaking the movie will continue to play without any problem. Wall-E for example suffers it the most whilst Monster House suffers the fault less.

This fault does not appear to occur when there is a chapter change (compared to the original DVD) remember I convert my movies to one single vob file.

I have tried running DVDFAB on an XP system, a 32bit & a 64bit Vista system all using different drives. I’ve also tried different configurations of DVDFAB (ie: path player always on or off etc, changing the cache option etc).

No matter what I do the “skips” always seem to occur & at the same place. I have over 200 titles currently on my NAS & most do not suffer this (for example Transformers & The Incredibles). To say this is frustrating the hell out of me is putting it mildly, I feel incredibly “newbie” & have tried searching this forum & Google for any answers or people suffering the same problem.

I recently learned (I tried this on my Vista Ultimate 64bit PC) if I rename my vob files to name.mpg Vista’s in-built media player plays them no problem. However the “skips” are worse when playing through WMPlayer as the skip tends to fast forward a lot further.

Apologies for the long post but I really have tried to find the answers before posting & really have no idea what could be causing this. BTW I have also tried purchasing another copy of my originals just in case I had a dud, still no change!

Any help on this would be immensely appreciated!

If the skips always happen at the same place and at more than one place, it may be related to the protections on certain discs and the way DVDFab is removing them. You might also try: 1)Rip the disc to a VIDEO_TS folder first, then convert from that 2)Install VLC media player for testing, it’s what the DVDFab authors use and it’s free. It will play the files as VOBs or MPGs (or just about anything else).

I’ve found this in many movies and TV shows. It happens on DVDs without advanced copy protection and/or bad spots in the disc. I’ve been able to replicate the problem using VOB Passthrough and using different programs to rip the VOB stream. On Disney movies it is especially annoying in the opening sequence with the castle and fireworks.

The short answer is that it is likely because of flaws in the DVD authoring process. The flaws doesn’t show up when playing the original or copied DVDs because of the way DVD decoder chips work. However, when the same content stream is played as an individual file then the flaws appear as little jumps because the wrong frames were skipped and/or repeated. The DVD decoder can make certain assumptions to correct the playback that the file decoder cannot (otherwise file playback might break for other files).

The long answer is that I believe this is an telecine encoding problem. Movies are generally shot (or generated in the case of cartoons) in 24fps which becomes 23.976fps when encoded. The DVD specification requires output of 29.97fps so a process called pulldown is used to duplicate frames to make up the required fps. I’m not sure why, but sometimes movies end up with whats called irregular pulldown where the pattern of repeated frames is not consistant. I’ve been looking for a way to fix the problem but haven’t had much luck yet. I’ve tried dropping the fps to the original 24fps but haven’t been able to keep the audio in sync.

[B]However[/B], it looks like your device support direct reading of the DVD structure. I suggest you try using DVDFab in movie-only mode and play the folder created on your device. This may allow your device to make the same assumptions as a DVD player when dealing with the flawed authoring.

Thank you guys for:

1. At least I know I’m not losing my mind!
  2. There are other people who have noticed this issue (I’m not alone).
  3. There may be hope.

I did try ripping the entire DVD (using the DVD to DVD option) but selecting a folder as the destination. I then tried to create the vob pass-through from this folder, unfortuately it didn’t fix the problem.

Thanks singals for the VLC suggestion I have been looking for reliable robust compact vob player for some time & VLC is great. VLC does skip worse than the MG450HD media player! I noticed that too with Vista Media Player (by renaming the vob extension to mpg).

I can say though I have never notied the Disney intro animation stutter or micro skip ever yet many of their titles suffer rom this problem. Does Disney use stronger encryption than other filmakers?

I know this may be a big ask but do you think there is a way of raising this with the creator of DVDFab? DVDFab has practically given me a near perfect video library unfortunately these micro skips detract from watching what are often great movies.

I think you missed what I was trying to say. Rip the DVD to a folder and then play the folder using the MG450HD. The specifications on the MG450HD say it can do this. It should show the DVD menu just like a DVD player. You can also use DVDFab Main Movie mode if you don’t want to waste space on the extras.

A Disney DVD intro is just put together differently than the rest of the film. As far as I can tell it has to do with poor authoring techniques rather than copy protection (all DVDs have the same encryption).

The authors read the forums but I’m guessing they are quite busy now that they have taken on the new Blu-Ray option. A fix would require a very specialized kind of processing so I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.

If the DVD folder option doesn’t work for you then you might try using DVDFab to create an AVI file for the movies that exhibit the problem.

The author of the Mobile option reads in this sub-forum almost every day. It would help, particularly with the Disney stuff, to have some exact titles and if possible the play time points where some of the jumps/skips happen.

There is a utility called MPEG Validator that is handy for looking at these files. It is designed for pass/fail testing of older MPEG-2 program streams so files converted off of DVDs almost always get “fail” even when there is nothing wrong, but it still provides a wealth of information about the input files. You may be able to use it to find some differences between the files that work and those that don’t. It is free, but donate if you use it: http://www.geocities.com/gabrielgoc/ scroll down to the “binaries” link.

hi,

About the problem, I have not to test and repeat it, if I have time I will use Wall-E or MonsterHouse to try it.

A question, any problem when use the software player to play the vob fiile ?

A Disney DVD intro is just put together differently than the rest of the film. As far as I can tell it has to do with poor authoring techniques rather than copy protection (all DVDs have the same encryption).

I think maybe the reason is when you play the title in DVD, the player will read the dts and pts information to play it by order, if play this in the file mode, maybe the player not understand the timestamp information, so just play it.

just guess it, I will record this problem.

thanks.

Thanks Ting

[quote=Ting;2230724]hi,

About the problem, I have not to test and repeat it, if I have time I will use Wall-E or MonsterHouse to try it.

A question, any problem when use the software player to play the vob fiile ?
[/quote]
Same problem in VLC and two different hardware players (PS3, PCH) for me.

[quote=Ting;2230724]
I think maybe the reason is when you play the title in DVD, the player will read the dts and pts information to play it by order, if play this in the file mode, maybe the player not understand the timestamp information, so just play it.

just guess it, I will record this problem.

thanks.[/quote]
I guess incorrect timestamps could be the problem. However, I did export with mencoder using “-forceidx” to re-write the timestamps and it did not fix it.

Thanks for the interest in fixing it.

[I]Complication [/I]I did misunderstand you, I will try what you’ve suggested & report back. However the reason I use the vob pass through option to create one single file (albeit) large is to get around the slight pause you get as the MG450HD transitions from one chapter to the next if you rip a DVD in it’s entirety to a folder.

[I]Ting [/I]as for the time stamp I dd notice when playing the file back through Vista Media Player the progress bar is solid ie: doesn’t progress (on Wall-E). However with Monster House the progress bar appears to display normally.

Definitely Wall-E, Chicken Little & Monster House suffer from this problem there are other titles that do it but I will have to check. The micro skips always occur at the same point in time of playback.

Once again thank you all very much for your input.

Complication OK I ripped the whole DVD to a folder using the Full Disc option. I then played the DVD & there were no micro skips!

Unfortunately there are still inter chapter pauses (however slight). SO, it would be great if we could get to the bottom of the problem with single file vobs?:wink:

Ting: Do you have any further ideas given my last post? It appears there is something different when creating a single vob file as opposed to full DVD to hard disk.

Regards, Fernando.