.vob output files from DVD Flick will not fit on DVD!

I’ve used DVD Flick many times to convert an .avi file to files I can burn in Nero. Today I encountered something new: the original .avi file (666 MB) was converted by DVD Flick to a DVD folder of 4.5 GB. When I loaded the folder into Nero, I got a message saying there is not enough space on my empty DVD. (files to be written: 4,616 MB; available space: 4,482 MB)

Is there a way to shrink it without too much loss of quality? or, perhaps, a different setting on DVD Flick to make sure the output folder will fit?

Did you set Target to DVD-5(4.3GB)?..If you did and it’s still too big, set a custom MB target size to 4400MB size…
You don’t want to compress/transcode again , since you’ll lose more quality in the process…And if you do decide to do it, at least use something like DVD Rebuilder to re-encode…

You should be able to adjust output in DVDFlick in the settings. For this particular dvd, you can just run it through DVDShrink and make it slightly smaller. Shouldn’t cause much degradation of the video.

If you don’t have Shrink, just click on it in the previous paragraph and that will take you to the download here at cdfreaks.

How do you set a custom size in DVD Flick? I only see pre-set sizes? (and yes, I had the output on 4.3GB)

Re: DVD Shrink
Thanks. Where is the best place to get a tutorial for DVD Shrink? I have it but never used it. Or do you know the steps I need to use to shrink the files I already have?

Also, do I input the entire DVD folder from the DVD Flick output into DVD Shrink? or use the original .avi file?

In DVDflick–> Project settings–> Target size–>General–> choose 'Custom size from the drop down menu and set to size…If using shrink import the VIDEO_TS folder from DVDflick, not the avi…

You could try here.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Never mind that link sorry, the Forum changed it. Google Dvd Shrink Guides & make sure it’s Dvd Shrink.org.

There are guides to Shrink at www.mrbass.org also.

I re-converted the .avi file on DVD Flick with a custom output of 4400 MB as suggested above. When I went to burn the files in Nero, it said my to-be-written file size was 4,616 MB. Why would it be bigger than the 4400 MB which I set the program at?

Also, I looked at some other .avi files on my hard drive. I know I’ve burned files at the 700 MB size with no problem on DVD Flick with the “normal” output setting of 4.3 GB. Would there be any other reason I’m having difficulty with my current project of only 666 MB (discounting the fact that 666 is the devil’s number? : )

I re-converted with a 4300 MB custom output in DVD Flick and I was able to burn the file. So what I learned from all this is the that DVD Flick has a custom output feature. Thanks

[QUOTE=jonnyD;2269478]I re-converted the .avi file on DVD Flick with a custom output of 4400 MB as suggested above. When I went to burn the files in Nero, it said my to-be-written file size was 4,616 MB. Why would it be bigger than the 4400 MB which I set the program at?

Also, I looked at some other .avi files on my hard drive. [B]I know I’ve burned files at the 700 MB size with no problem [/B]on DVD Flick with the “normal” output setting of 4.3 GB. Would there be any other reason I’m having difficulty with my current project of only 666 MB (discounting the fact that 666 is the devil’s number? : )[/QUOTE]
Just a note. Source file size is not relevant when converting to DVD, only running time matters.

There’s no direct correlation between source file size and run time? I thought that since the target size in DVD Flick I used was 4.3 gigs, the size of the output file would be more important.

What is the limit of the run time I need to be concerned with in the future?

A 700mb or 666mb source file is irrelevant when converting to DVD…
The [I]running time[/I] of the source file(s) will determine the [B]bitrate [/B]needed to fit a SL (4.37G) disc…The longer the running time, the encoder will use a lower bitrate to fit a 4.37GB disc…The [I]lower[/I] the bitrate used, the quality degrades…Of course beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, uh I mean beholder…:wink:
For me, 1.5 hrs max on SL disc with a bitrate of ~6,500kbps is plenty good for my eyes…

bitrate = filesize/running time
filesize = bitrate x running time

thanks

[QUOTE=jonnyD;2273079]thanks[/QUOTE]

I know this is an ancient thread but I’ve found that if you check your audio and subtitles, you can jam up your space with a bunch of unwanted junk from your download. I keep the desired language, junk the others and junk the subtitles which allows me to record files larger that 1G compressed download. Just a thought in case you are still keeping track of this thread.

Mark

Henry the 8th I am I am…