VOB file size question

vbimport

A commercial DVD has a VOB size of 1,048,574 KB, or less if it is the last VOB.

DVD-Rs made on my stand alone DVD recorder produce VOB sizes of 1,048,xxx. Where xxx is just slightly less than 574. I’m presuming it’s cutting as close to 1 GB as possible without going over.

Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD authors VOBs with 1,048,574 KB.

VideoReDo TVSuite authors VOBs with 1,024,xxx KB.

Examples from the same video:

VOB 1 from my original DVD-R: 1,048,050 KB.
Viewing File Properties: 0.99 GB (1,073,203,200 bytes)

VOB 1 after Womble: 1,048,574 KB.
Properties: 0.99 GB (1,073,739,776 bytes)

VOB 1 after VideoReDo: 1,024,460 KB.
Properties: 0.97 GB (1,049,047,040 bytes)

At first I thought VideoReDo was figuring on 1,024 MB. But obviously file manager and properties say otherwise. What is VideoReDo doing that creates less than the 1 GB VOB size?

I like VideoReDo, but so far I have had to use their QuickStream fix on every video. Otherwise it will not properly play my programs. This supposedly corrects some errors and makes the file more compliant. But then it authors with less than the 1 GB size VOB standard, which to me would be less compliant.

It’s coming time to make a buying decision and I am concerned about VideoReDo’s quirks. Is the 1GB size really a standard, or just a maximum?

As far as I am aware, the 1gb vob size is a maximum limit in dvd video. VideoReDo seems to be conservative in estimating the size of the vobs, and doesn’t cut as close to the limit. This is almost certainly a deliberate strategy made by the authors. It should have no effect on playback in dvd players.

I believe the bytes have to be divisible by 2048 and VideoRedo is sticking to this.

There is a short tutorial on dvd file structure here at cdfreaks: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/tutorial-dvd-video-file-structure-77646/

[quote=Kerry56;2089296]As far as I am aware, the 1gb vob size is a maximum limit in dvd video. VideoReDo seems to be conservative in estimating the size of the vobs, and doesn’t cut as close to the limit. This is almost certainly a deliberate strategy made by the authors. It should have no effect on playback in dvd players.

I believe the bytes have to be divisible by 2048 and VideoRedo is sticking to this.

There is a short tutorial on dvd file structure here at cdfreaks: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/tutorial-dvd-video-file-structure-77646/[/quote]

Thank you for the link. It now brings up another question. It states “No VOB file is to exceed 1GB in size, with a maximum total of five VOB files in sequence on a single layer disc (DVD 5) and no more than nine on a dual layer disc (DVD 9).”

If VideoReDo has smaller VOB files, what happens if it needs 6 files instead of 5? Will it require a dual layer disc or does does it start another sequence?

4 vob files at .97gb gives you 3.88gb for the first 4 vobs. Since you can only put about 4.32gb on a single layer dvd, the fifth and final vob can be no larger than .44gb, and so you don’t have to worry about needing a 6th vob file.

Thanks again. I never did the math to see how much data that 5 VOB files could hold. Obviously there is no problem.