VOB Enhancement Software

Can anyone recommend software that can provide simple enhancement to VOB files, eg Brightness/Contrast etc.

I need to lighten a very dark DVD movie.

Thankyou

Dennis

You can use Avisynth for instance along with a MPEG-2 plugin.
//Danne

Thanks DiiZzY
I am currently trying to achieve this by converting to AVI with DivX, then enhancing using Ulead Media Studio 7, then converting back to Mpeg format for DVD.
Had a quick look at the ‘Avisynth’ webpage, is it as laborious as it appears or better/simpler than the method I am currently using.
I was hoping (wishful thinking) that there may be an application that would allow you to import the VOB file, enhance and render in a simple sequence.

Dennis

AviSynth isn’t as difficult as it looks, and it should definitely give you much better results than the method you describe. The filter to use for this operation is Levels(). There are some settings you need to specify for it, but fortunately you can easily figure out what they should be by using the same filter in VirtualDub, tweaking the settings with its nice GUI, and then using the numbers it gives you for the AviSynth filter.

To use VirtualDub to determine your settings, load the script without the Levels filter in VirtualDub, and select Filters from the Video Menu. Click the Add button and highlight Levels. Click the OK button and the controls for setting levels will appear. Click the Show Preview button to get a preview window. You can move the navigation slider in the preview window if you want to check the results with a different frame.

There will be 2 lines, one labeled Input levels and another labelled Output levels. Drag the triangles under the 2 lines until you get exactly what you want. Make sure to check more than one frame in the Preview window. Once you’re done making adjustments, look at the numbers above the 2 lines. Make a note of them because they’re the same numbers you’ll use in AviSynth. There are 3 numbers for the top line and 2 for the bottom. They need to be added to the AviSynth filter in the same order (left to right, top to bottom). For example, if the numbers for the top line were 0, 1, and 235 and the bottom numbers were 60 and 255, the line in your script would be:

Levels(0,1,235,60,255)

If you don’t want to learn any more AviSynth than that, and you have (or are willing to spend $58 on) CCE, you can use DVD-RB to create the AVS files, edit them yourself to add the Levels() filter, and then let DVD-RB encode the video with CCE and put the DVD back together. DVD-RB can also use Quenc, which is a free, to encode with.

Thankyou Vurbal,

I will give it a try.

Dennis

You’re welcome.

Actually it’s a lot better if you frameserve it directly (from avisynth) to CCE or TMPGEnc instead of converting it to a lossy format and then back.
//Danne

i dont think you can directly edit vob files, think you hav e to convert them to avi or other video format then convert them back

Huh?
//Danne

to edit a vob file you have to convert it into a video file like a .avi, edit it whilst in .avi, and then use some software to convert it back to .vob files, sorry if i madfe it unclear in the first post :slight_smile:

Eh no?
Depends on what you mean by “editing”.
//Danne

Using AviSynth is converting to another format. AviSynth modifies the frames “on th fly” as it’s sending them to an encoder like CCE or TMPGEnc. This explanation may make it easier to understand.

Avisynth is a very useful utility created by Ben Rudiak-Gould. It provides many options for joining and filtering videos. What makes Avisynth unique is the fact that it is not a stand-alone program that produces output files. Instead, Avisynth acts as the “middle man” between your videos and video applications.

Basically, Avisynth works like this: First, you create a simple text document with special commands, called a script. These commands make references to one or more videos and the filters you wish to run on them. Then, you run a video application, such as VirtualDub, and open the script file. This is when Avisynth takes action. It opens the videos you referenced in the script, runs the specified filters, and feeds the output to video application. The application, however, is not aware that Avisynth is working in the background. Instead, the application thinks that it is directly opening a filtered AVI file that resides on your hard drive.

If you want to “edit” your VOBs you can use an AviSynth script as the source file in an MPEG encoder and avoid the time and hard drive space required to save as an AVI file first. The method you’ve been using involves compressing multiple times, and therefore a lot of quality loss.

yes, i understand that, but to get a full range of options including resizing of the .vob between widescrren/4:3 you need to convert to .avi or other video format

Using AviSynth is converting to another format. It just happens on the fly instead of saving it. Whereas VirtualDub saves creates the output and sends it to a file, which an encoder can then read, AviSynth creates an AVI, but sends it directly to the encoder (or player or whatever). By using the correct filters you can do just about any kind of editing you want in an AviSynth script, including but not limited to, changing resolution, removing clips, joining clips, converting between colorspaces, IVTCing, deinterlacing, smoothing, sharpening, changing framerate, denoising, adding audio, and removing audio.

ok, thanks vurbal, ill give avisynth a better chance, but to edit in pro software like premiere you need a .avi, plus they are faster to work with if the editing goes wrong :slight_smile:

Actually I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily true either. Most changes don’t take more than a minute to make because there’s no time required to render a file. For example, when I started using AviSynth I made a lot of mistakes. Since I didn’t have to wait for the output file to render before trying to encode it with CCE I probably saved hundreds of hours. Actually, though, the main reason I started using it was because I didn’t have room on my hard drive to save uncompressed or losslessly compressed AVIs made from the MPEGs I was editing.

yeh, but a 2000mb full res divx file is just as good as a 400mb mpeg-2 vob file, i cnt tell the differnce

It may look the same, but every time you compress a file you lose information. If you’re doing it as an intermediary step before compressing a second time you won’t get the same quality as only compressing once. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference and sometimes it’s not, but there always is one.

yes, but divx compressor is better quality and then you half the 4000mb filesize and to 200mb and thats good enough for me, also editing and resavig the .vob will lose quality also as it will be secompressed. but you dont really need to worry if its a 2000mb divx file as a 700mb divx file is about vhs quality

@ bcn_246
Stop guessing and talking bullshit, DivX is not better (infact it’s quite sucky compared to other MPEG-4 “formats”/codecs such as XviD but that’s not the point here) and certainly wont be any better if you already have a lossy source. Editing itself will NOT cause any quality degradation although recompressing will unless you’re using a lossless format.
//Danne