VLC V0.9.2 Released

vbimport

VLC media player - the cross-platform media player and streaming server

VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, …) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ This is a free program that play almost all formats of video files.

did they ever fix that ‘skipping forward in a .mkv’ file issue yet?

cause say im playing a high def .mkv file with VLC and i try skipping forward in it… it dont work.

NOTE: if you have other video players installed VLC works… but when you have the PC all stock with just VLC installed it dont work… so keep that in mind if you decide to test this.

cause that’s primary reason i prefer apps like ‘The KMPlayer’ over it… cause to me that a fairly major flaw.

either way thanks for the post as im sure some people will appreciate it :wink:

cool . . . thanks.

I only have VLC installed on my pc. I don’t have anything else installed. Not even WMP. I do have ffdshow installed to use with DVDFab.

No problems here and thanks Alan.

@ Bob … thats the thing stuff like ffdsshow might make the skipping forward with the slider bar work in VLC when normally it does not… if you want to test try uninstalling ffdshow and reboot the pc and then try using VLC, then see if skipping forward in a .mkv (720p HD file) with the slider bar works as it should cause i tried many versions of VLC in the past and it’s never worked like it should have.

[B]VLC Media Player v. 0.9.2[/B]
has a minor facelift on the default UI and also in the Preferences Menu.
It appears some additional features have also been added.
All in all, a nice improvement on the previous versions.:smiley:

i use and recommend VLC [B]only[/B]. the update is more responsive on [B]my system[/B]. :slight_smile:

i have installed and used vlc on a fresh install of XP SP2 with only WMP installed and VLC 086b worked perfect for AVI, MP3 and DVD’s. dont know about other formats. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t need any external codec or program to work.

http://www.videolan.org/

I was looking for a MKV file player yesterday and I cane across this but all the mirrors and download sites are in other countries:doh:Where did you guys get it from? (Meaning which mirror/country) I have a 720p MKV file and I can’t play it on anything…I didn’t even mean to code it into MKV it was a mistake, but I’d like to see if it worked and how the quality is.

Will the new one install over the old one or do you need to remove the old one?

[QUOTE=NBR;2126615]@ Bob … thats the thing stuff like ffdsshow might make the skipping forward with the slider bar work in VLC when normally it does not… if you want to test try uninstalling ffdshow and reboot the pc and then try using VLC, then see if skipping forward in a .mkv (720p HD file) with the slider bar works as it should cause i tried many versions of VLC in the past and it’s never worked like it should have.[/QUOTE]I don’t have any .mkv files to try.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2127215]Will the new one install over the old one or do you need to remove the old one?[/QUOTE]You will be asked to keep older version when you install newer versions. You will also be asked to keep settings and a few other things too. I always let the new version uninstall the older one.

Thanks, Bob

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information…

BTW Nice to find the great place with lots of in helpful information and software… etc…

Keep posting…

Take care
:slight_smile:

Thanks alan1476

bean55

Ditto.

I did a clean install four times and it kept crashing after a few files played. Got back to V 0.8.6 and it’s sweet as always been.

:D:D:D

strange, ive played a few mp3 albums with V0.9.2 but nothing else so far. will report back if i have similar experience. :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed some bugs here and there, playlist and hotkey problems. But I do like the new look. 0.9.3 is scheduled for next week.

[QUOTE=troy512;2129238]strange, ive played a few mp3 albums with V0.9.2 but nothing else so far. will report back if i have similar experience. :)[/QUOTE]

The files I trsted it with were DVD and AVI files.

=====

[QUOTE=Bob;2126549]I only have VLC installed on my pc. I don’t have anything else installed. Not even WMP. I do have ffdshow installed to use with DVDFab.

No problems here and thanks Alan.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bob or anyone who can help, I have a question about the VLC player. I have the VLC player and was trying to download and play a .wmv that was emailed to me by a friend.

When I clicked on the .wmv to download it I was taken to the VLC to download…then the following error message popped up after the download. What does my computer want me to do?