VLC not allowed to support Blu-ray disc playback in France

vbimport

VLC not allowed to support Blu-ray disc playback in France.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/04/dGm2zu.png[/newsimage]The opensource video player VLC is not allowed to playback Blu-ray discs in France. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/vlc-not-allowed-to-support-blu-ray-disc-playback-in-france-66761/](http://www.myce.com/news/vlc-not-allowed-to-support-blu-ray-disc-playback-in-france-66761/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well that totally blows chunks …

I guess we’ll all just have to wait for crackers to release a plugin for vlc …

Merde !

Um, blu ray is a consortium why Sony ? They are one of many BR developers / patent holders.

Sony probably holds the patents on the AACS component. They seem to be leading the BS parade these days.

I agree with HADOPI and Sony. Open-source and DRM don’t mesh well together. If you want Blu-Ray playback then you might want to consider replacing VLC with proprietary commercial Blu-ray player software. I ditched VLC in favor of Cyberlink PowerDVD and haven’t looked back.

[QUOTE=IronCronus;2684346]I agree with HADOPI and Sony. Open-source and DRM don’t mesh well together. If you want Blu-Ray playback then you might want to consider replacing VLC with proprietary commercial Blu-ray player software. I ditched VLC in favor of Cyberlink PowerDVD and haven’t looked back.[/QUOTE]some of us don’t use Windows.

I do… but I still prefer open-source software, as it usually seems less bloated, and less concerned about filling the GUI with pretty colors. I find this to be particularly true with reputable software. Nero is a good example of bloat, since I once had to spend two entire hours installing it, ten minuets to realize how crappy it is, and two more hours to remove. Realistically, it probably wouldn’t have taken that long on a more modern computer (as that machine was maybe six years old), but that’s still quite ridiculous.

Open source/free ware software is usually the polar opposite, offering what is needed in a smaller package, with much less bloat in RAM, CPU and disk usage, or at least that’s usually been my experience. Of course I realize this really all depends on the software in question. Cyberlink software might be less bloated… or it might not.

Either way, I think its wrong that companies Nero actually give people this kind of crap and make money off it at the same time. Such total B$.

*/Begin Get off my lawn, you kids! *
Nero used to be a small, clean and attractive package, but still somehwat larger than vanilla burning software :slight_smile:

Now Nero is a mighty ugly beast, with half eaten turkey drumsticks under it’s armpits, remnants of cereals in it’s fat-folds, filthy gravy stained sheets reeking of sour milk, tangled up over the dishevelled bed, with bed bugs and bed sores abounding :stuck_out_tongue:

It was never as small, clean and useful as CDRWin, which is now (sadly) defunct.

*/end Get off my lawn, you kids! *

[QUOTE=debro;2683992]Well that totally blows chunks …

I guess we’ll all just have to wait for crackers to release a plugin for vlc …[/QUOTE]

Or you can always opt for commercial Blu-ray solutions, which in my opinion is a better option.

[QUOTE=debro;2684350]some of us don’t use Windows.[/QUOTE]

I presume some of you use Linux and if that’s the case then this could be a problem given the fact that proprietary commercial Blu-ray software are nonexistent on Linux platform. But then again, it’s more of a Linux problem due to its open-source ideology. I hate to say it, but you only have one option: migrate to Windows or Mac OS X (there exist commercial Blu-ray solutions for this platform). If this option is not palatable to you then you can forget about Blu-ray support on Linux platform.

Actually, the VLC bluray capability has been long available though. The Keys config file and aacs library file has been there for download for the longest time.

I don’t see how France can enforce this, it’s a free plug-in :doh: