Vista: Won't let me Delete Movie File After I Burned It To DVD via Nero Recode 6

vbimport

First off… GOD I HATE VISTA.

Here’s the situation: I ripped a movie onto my hard drive. Then I burned it onto a DVD via Nero recode 6. After the burn session is over, i get out of Nero (turn off the program) then…I do what I always do when i was using XP. Go to the hard drive, find the already burned file and delete. No hassles no problems.

But with Vista, it first asks for permission, i click continue, but stupid Vista won’t let me delete. I have solved this be restarting the comp. Then Vista allows me to delete.

IS THERE A WAY TO DELETE WITHOUT HAVING TO REBOOT COMP EVERYTIME?

Oh yea and did I mention i HATE Vista?:a

Oh and I forgot, the movie files are in a second hard drive that I added from an old computer…If this makes a difference.

That’s not vista that’s Nero causing that. Nero isn’t letting go of the file when it’s finished and even XP won’t let you delete a file that is in use.

Try Unlocker. It works great on XP and says it is Vista compatible. It is free. I have used it for years. Here’s the link. It will unlock files in use if it can find the handle. It has never failed me.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

right click the file you want to delete and run as administrator. if you have home premium you do not have full admin rights and need to do that for certain things

cbboy777:

I use Nero Ultra 8 and that includes Nero Recode [U]3[/U]. What version of Nero are you using that includes Nero Recode [U]6[/U]?

I’m asking because some versions of Nero are not Vista compatible (e.g. Nero 6).

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2169432]cbboy777:

I use Nero Ultra 8 and that includes Nero Recode [U]3[/U]. What version of Nero are you using that includes Nero Recode [U]6[/U]?

I’m asking because some versions of Nero are not Vista compatible (e.g. Nero 6).[/QUOTE]

Nero Recode 2…Nero v. 6. LOL Damn it. But it works and burns, really well on my NEC 7200S.

[QUOTE=GJ;2169431]right click the file you want to delete and run as administrator. if you have home premium you do not have full admin rights and need to do that for certain things[/QUOTE]

You mean right click on file, properties, security, highlight amdinistrator, click Apply. Right?

[QUOTE=slayerking;2169426]That’s not vista that’s Nero causing that. Nero isn’t letting go of the file when it’s finished and even XP won’t let you delete a file that is in use.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought too. Ran Task Manager…didn’t see Nero ask a current working Task when I tried to delete.

Is there another way to see if Nero isn’t letting go of the file?

[QUOTE=Zathros;2169427]Try Unlocker. It works great on XP and says it is Vista compatible. It is free. I have used it for years. Here’s the link. It will unlock files in use if it can find the handle. It has never failed me.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/[/QUOTE]

Gonna give this a try. Thanks.

[quote=cbboy777;2169557]That’s what I thought too. Ran Task Manager…didn’t see Nero ask a current working Task when I tried to delete.

Is there another way to see if Nero isn’t letting go of the file?[/quote]Probably not, Nero 6 on vista is a bad move, knowing nero it’s crashing at the last second and because it’s crashing you wont see the .exe in the processes tab but it will still have a hold of the file.
I’ve heard that unlocker is ok never tried it myself, but your best bet is to get an updated version of nero or even ImgBurn (way better than nero bloat)

[QUOTE=cbboy777;2169554]Nero Recode 2…Nero v. 6. LOL Damn it. But it works and burns, really well on my NEC 7200S.[/QUOTE]

I hope you get your immediate problem worked out but the bottom line is that your version is going to be a nightmare as long as you continue to use it on Vista. If any of your projects worked, you were lucky.

If you enjoy using Nero, you must upgrade (most Nero users are avoiding Nero 9 but many versions below are stable).