Vista UAC Causing Cerberus FTP Server Initialization Error

Hello all,

I recently installed Cerberus FTP Server 2.49 (3.6 MB) on a Vista SP1 PC. I have previously used the program on a Windows XP machine.

I installed Cerberus running the exe file as an Administrator (due to Vista’s UAC security).

But what I have found is, when I have Vista UAC turned OFF, Cerberus works fine.

But when I activate UAC i.e. run msconfig.exe -> Tools tab -> Enable UAC, and reboot the PC, Vista UAC prevents me from loading user information and displays this error, “Stats File Initialization Error : Unable to open stats file.” Basically the FTP program cannot load any information about user accounts.

So I can use Cerberus FTP Server on my Vista PC, so long as UAC is turned off. I would prefer to have it turned.

Any help in getting the program working with UAC will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dazz
Brisbane, Australia

UAC in vista is a steaming pile of poo! Turning it off is the best thing you can do, Like you have found out it causes programs not to work and lots of them.

Yeah, turning off UAC is one of the first things I do after installing Vista :iagree:…it’s a complete pain in the behind :wink:

It’s the very first thing I do after a clean install. The benefits are far outweighed by problems.

Hi fellas,

I’d just like UAC on for the extra security as other people use the computer.

I do installs with UAC off and then activate it at the end. However, it is causing serious problems with this ftp program.

Have you tried making seperate user accounts for the other users?

Hi fellas,

I found a solution to my problem.

I right clicked on the cerberus exe file, clicked ‘Properties’ -> ‘Compatibility’ tab -> and in the ‘Privilege level’ area, ticked ‘Run this program as an administrator’.

Now each time I run Cerberus, Vista pops up a dialog box asking if you want this program to run. I click okay, and the program works perfectly.

Cheers

Dazz