Vista progamming

Ok simple this one… kinda.

I would like to know why my vista is running stupidly slowly and taking 25+ mins (had to leave this morning) to tell me how long it will take it to transfer 700mb from a strage device to hdd. thus my question is simple:

How can i configure vista to do things at the speed that my pc should be doing things?

Specs:

2gb duel core
1mb RAM
60 GB primary hdd
250 GB secondary
Vista oem ultimate (32 bit)

Welcome to the life of Vista…have you installed SP1 for Vista yet?

[QUOTE=voradore;2057829]Ok simple this one… kinda.

I would like to know why my vista is running stupidly slowly and taking 25+ mins (had to leave this morning) to tell me how long it will take it to transfer 700mb from a strage device to hdd. thus my question is simple:

How can i configure vista to do things at the speed that my pc should be doing things?

Specs:

2gb duel core
1mb RAM
60 GB primary hdd
250 GB secondary
Vista oem ultimate (32 bit)[/QUOTE]

as far as i was aware ultimate didnt need one… it had all the programming that home had done up to it…

Meaning from what i was told …“vista ultimate wont need any sp’s as it is the best of all 3 and is programmed to the equvilant of xp’s sp 2 without the sp’ added” meaning no sp’s needed… ever ocroding to him atleast.

But it was online not 1 mnth ago and had all the major updates sooo…

There’s a known problem with file copy speed in Vista; whatever the edition. SP1 fixes it for many, including me.

kk will see what i can do for the ultimate ver of it as i like playing poker on the ultimate ver…

Cheers

[QUOTE=voradore;2057829]Ok simple this one… kinda.

Specs:

2gb duel core
1mb RAM
60 GB primary hdd
250 GB secondary
Vista oem ultimate (32 bit)[/QUOTE]

Here is a simple solution to your slow file tranfer problem. Click on the Windows start button, open up control panel, go to programs and features section, select “Turn on or off Windows features” from the left pane. In that little window scroll down to and uncheck the “Remote Differential Compression” then click ok and you all done. You’ll be as fast as your old XP! Take care and enjoy your Vista!

hmmm sounds simple… any other tricks to speed vista up?

Vista has a setting where you can control the percentage of time given to resources in the foreground and in the background. Can’t remember exactly where it is, but you might want to check that. There is a chance that your background tasks are set to no use much cpu.

I have Vista Ultimate 64Bit and 32Bit and have SP01 on both. Also I always turn off User Account Controls upon first installing. This will eliminate those annoying windows constantly asking if you do or don’t every time you open a window or want to initiate a task.

ok just found out guys that my machine does have sp1 for vista and its still slow…:eek:

The 700MB you are transfering, is it one file or thousands of files?

singular, its a avi file,

would that really make that much diff though?

You haven’t told us anything about this mysterious storage device. What is it and how is it connected?

a normal mp3 player, synced to windows auto, 1 gb, dont ask the name i dont have it with me. but your average run of the mill device, connected (through extension) to my usb ports in the back

Well writing to flash memory is always way slower than to hard drive. Do you know (a) if these USB ports at the back of your PC are USB 2.0, and (b) that the mp3 device also supports USB 2.0?

i know i have both types (usb and usb2) and if memory serves then the Device is both also (though obviously slower on usb)

guess you guys cant help then…

Probably some of us were expecting you to do a little more reading around and investigation for yourself, based on the outlines above.

What is the file transfer speed reported by Vista during the copy process? On the progress window there’s some chevrons you can click, and a drop-down box displays the information.

Umm that is part of it…i dont know…by the time it says anyhting other than “Time calculating” its saying in effect done. But saying that i tried from disk and it decided to read and copy it fine, though it did say several thousand days at one point (though this was due to my playing on a diff comp and not paying atention (though this was only about 350mb)…and it does that).

Would more ram just be better? or is it something programming wise?

Well you need to do some timings with your watch. Then compare the time taken under Vista with the same file copied using DOS.

Start -> Run -> type “cmd”, and then use the XCOPY command: eg “xcopy C:/[I]directory/filename[/I] F:/[I]destination_directory/filename[/I]”