Vista (MSI MegaBook EX630-Q6043VHP)

[qanda]This thread is about the MSI MegaBook EX630-Q6043VHP. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey everyone hope the 4th is great for all. I just purchased 2 MSI EX630’s with VHP. After I let it load windows and the other programs I looked at the C: partition on both of them. How in the world could there be 30GB of OS & programs. OS has 15GB? has anyone ran into this.:confused: Dumbo…

Thread moved from Blank Media subforum.

Vista caches a lot of the important files that it and the programs on the computer in folders like WinSXS [in the Windows directory]. In that case, it’s used to prevent programs from clashing with each other [by keeping .dlls and such from one program from being overwritten by another program], among other things. There’s not really an easy way to clean much of this up, and the WinSXS folder especially is recommended to just be left alone.

If you’ve had to do a lot of updates, Windows also caches files from before the given update in the event you want to roll back.

There’s a good chance that System Restore/Shadow Copy has been employed during a few of the program installations, and this will eat up a bit of space, too.

You can always use Disk Cleanup along with a utility like CCleaner to see if there are any temp files or what have you that can be cleaned up. It won’t remove any of those extra files that Vista has deemed necessary to back up for stability sake [like the files in the WinSXS folder], but it can get a lot of clutter.

Try these suggestions at your own risk.Google them first for more information.
1.Disable System restore:
R click My Computer/Properties
Select Advanced system settings/System Protection Uncheck all Avaiaable discs.
Then reboot & check the size.Reverse to reenable System Restore.If you want it enabled.
If that gained you the disc space back that is where your extra GB’s are.
2. From an administrator Command Prompt:
cd\ to C:>
then type: vssadmin List ShadowStorage
Take note of the Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space:
You will need that if you want to restore to the original size.
To reduce to minimum size type:
vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=300MB
If you want it back to the original setting just put that where the 300MB is in the command line.
Reboot.
Now check the size of C:\System Volume Information folder.
Note It may be hidden & you may not have permission to access it.
If hidden once you unhide it it should give you the size.

[QUOTE=Albert;2302635]Vista caches a lot of the important files that it and the programs on the computer in folders like WinSXS [in the Windows directory]. In that case, it’s used to prevent programs from clashing with each other [by keeping .dlls and such from one program from being overwritten by another program], among other things. There’s not really an easy way to clean much of this up, and the WinSXS folder especially is recommended to just be left alone.

If you’ve had to do a lot of updates, Windows also caches files from before the given update in the event you want to roll back.

There’s a good chance that System Restore/Shadow Copy has been employed during a few of the program installations, and this will eat up a bit of space, too.

You can always use Disk Cleanup along with a utility like CCleaner to see if there are any temp files or what have you that can be cleaned up. It won’t remove any of those extra files that Vista has deemed necessary to back up for stability sake [like the files in the WinSXS folder], but it can get a lot of clutter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Albert, I looked at the temp files when I cleaned and ran defrag. If it wasn’t for the microsft corp. leaning to vista and now 7 I’d just put xp pro on it but I guess I’ll have to get used to it since I work on computers. I wondered about shadows, when I looked at the windows folders [propertys] and when it came up to 14.GB I started wondering what is going on. I know I’m not the brightest bulb in the bag but come on, this is just too much. I’m wondering about the other 15.4GB of programs. Some friend of the famly has windows 7 ultimate loaded on a new laptop [he’s in I T] but still waiting to see if he can get the program for me. I did notice that the warranty sticker on the bottom is cut so it leeds me to think maybe this was a referb. I guess I’m used to the day when you got the OS on disc along with the manu. software. Since I have two of the same models I thought of doing a clean install, if it worked I’d do the same to the other one. Last I’ll say this about these laptops, you have to purchase winRAR and winZIP after 40 day’s along with some other programs that are trials. With so many programs that need winRAR to open I’m a bit ticked that you have to purchase it. There are some nice options with this model but also with hidden costs.:sad: I had to edit because while navigating the curser, it passed over post reply and it automaticly clicked the button???

Try the freeware 7-Zip to open the winRAR files.

Thanks cholla, your reply didn’t show up until I went back to my mail, thanks for that information, while I was creating recovery disc’s [2] I did notice some unusual things happening, ya know like seeing the shadowing of the os. Yeah like I said, 2 dvd disc’s - 1 full and the secound one has about 2.5GB’s on it. That looks more like other back up copies I’ve done, about 5-6 GB’s should have covered the entire system. Have a good one and thanks again for the advise. Dan

Albert & cholla, I just got home. I’m going to try what you guy’s said. Since I just started working with vista I’m sort of learning as I go. Not a biggie but because some of the names are changed a bit I spend time checking how everything is set up. I made the mistake by doing a windows update from SP1, so I added alot to the system before I made my recovery disc’s. I’m going to copy everything down in my repair book I’ve made up so I can remember everything. My son asked me if I want to take a class this fall for some kind of a certifacation. Since I’m on SSD it may help with my computer repair that I do. So since I made the backup disc’s I guess I’d have to redo that because it will have a copy of my system the way it is now. I just wish that these companies didn’t follow the new way of packaging up the software together and not suppling the os & drivers disc seperate. I plan on talking to microsoft for what good it does about this mix and match system they helped create. I lost money with some emachines because of the way the os & drivers are mixed together. You’ll see my post once I try and do it the way it should have been. Thanks again, Dan AKA Dumbo…

[QUOTE=valdan1;2303061]Albert & cholla, I just got home. I’m going to try what you guy’s said. Since I just started working with vista I’m sort of learning as I go. Not a biggie but because some of the names are changed a bit I spend time checking how everything is set up. I made the mistake by doing a windows update from SP1, so I added alot to the system before I made my recovery disc’s. I’m going to copy everything down in my repair book I’ve made up so I can remember everything. My son asked me if I want to take a class this fall for some kind of a certifacation. Since I’m on SSD it may help with my computer repair that I do. So since I made the backup disc’s I guess I’d have to redo that because it will have a copy of my system the way it is now. I just wish that these companies didn’t follow the new way of packaging up the software together and not suppling the os & drivers disc seperate. I plan on talking to microsoft for what good it does about this mix and match system they helped create. I lost money with some emachines because of the way the os & drivers are mixed together. You’ll see my post once I try and do it the way it should have been. Thanks again, Dan AKA Dumbo…[/QUOTE]
Today’s update: I put 7-Professional on my EX-630. My Wife’s still has Vista Home Premium on it. I would say she has about 100 hours on it. I sent it back because the keyboard failed so it does look 100% New. I bought a couple of Gateway Netbooks to sell & while I was setting up the recovery disc’s, she asked if she could have one of those & retire her EX-630. Now granted she does not know a lot about notebooks but mam oh mam, I got these on sale for $600. [$200 off], I upgraded both with 4GB of memory & Turion II Ultra Processor’s 2.2GHz/2MB L2/800MHz/1800MHz HT FSB. Now what in the world would someone want to make that kind of a change??? Apart from my Wife.

[QUOTE=valdan1;2571350]Now what in the world would someone want to make that kind of a change??? Apart from my Wife.[/QUOTE] A three year warranty on the hardware with normal use?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2571372]A three year warranty on the hardware with normal use?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, MSI warrantied all their notebooks for 3 years up to about 8-10 months ago. Now they offer 1 year & 3 on select high end notebooks. They must have figured once they picked up their share of the market they didn’t have to do that sort of thing. That was one of the deciding factor’s when I bought my two. You have to fill out a form with all your upgrades when you do an rma but there was no problem when I shipped one in for a heatsink fan & a keyboard. I had a faster processor, larger hard drive & max’d the memory. I got it back fixed no problems. Now I would imagine if the cause of the problem was from an upgrade, they’d ship it back or email you explaining why it’s going to be returned or a charge but if you know what your doing they don’t care. I also explained everything I did & what I tested & with what, so I didn’t just sound like I was clueless. Looking at the tread, mine is an EX-630-34US. I think that is the lower end on that model. One thing I noticed on mine was that the warranty seal was broken. A common complaint on newegg.com. With 2 empty card slots, I often wondered if they removed a card or changed something at the factory before shipping them to the retailer. Could have been a memory change I guess or maybe the Draft N card. One thing I remember was if I would have waited 15 more minutes when I ordered, I could have got a free Windows7 upgrade.