Vista MCE & VOB files

vbimport

more fun with vista :slight_smile:

Ok so my DVD backups are now accessible in MCE & so are my .AVI video files ( DVD rips) , but I also have some standalone .VOB files ( where I’ve taken say 1 song from a music concert).

I can’t figure how to get at the .vob files via the MCE interface. I’ve tried them both in the videos folder & in the DVD folder but they don’t show up either way.

is there a solution or do I have to use other formats instead ?

I’d like to keep the .vob files if at all possible. In a couple of cases they have nbeen ripped with fab then carefully trimmed with shrink becuse the song does not start until over 1 minute into the chapter

update: I think I have to redo the .vob files with only 1 audio stream + remane them as .mpeg, then MCE will add them to it’s video library.
I’ve tested that & it works.
I renamed a .vob containing 2 audio streams as .mpeg and MCE still showed it, but told me that it was unknown length, which somewhat spoilt my neat menus.

OR, if I want to preserve multiple audio streams than I have to make them into mini dvds with all the ,ifo and video_ts baggage and let MCE classify them as DVDs.

hey ho

If the .vob you want is on a DVD disc copy & paste it to a folder on your HD .Rename it .mpg instead of .vob. R click the .mpg file & open with MCE.
If it already on your HD then just do the rename.
If i misunderstood then let me know.
I don’t know how to get MCE to play it as a single file with the .vob extension. & no rename.
Look like we posted about the same time .I will check the audio streams on the .vobs I renamed.& post again.

[QUOTE=cholla;2028411]If the .vob you want is on a DVD disc copy & paste it to a folder on your HD .Rename it .mpg instead of .vob. R click the .mpg file & open with MCE.
If it already on your HD then just do the rename.
If i misunderstood then let me know.
I don’t know how to get MCE to play it as a single file with the .vob extension. & no rename.
Look like we posted about the same time .I will check the audio streams on the .vobs I renamed.& post again.[/QUOTE]

yep - I was previously advised to use.mpeg, rather than .mpg but maybe makes no difference.

the files I want are single music tracks make with dvdfab vob passthrough and/or edited with dvdshrink.

I can live with one audio stream as I don’t have surround sound anyway - I was leaving the 5.1 stream in just for future compatibility.

the MCE interface & MS remote seems prety good once you accept its limitations - le.g. keep file names short as it truncates them when labelling the video or dvd file icons. It’s not obvious what goes on “under the bonnet” i.e. what codecs are being used, but videos get automatically scaled to full screen I think , & it’s fine with my dixv based .avi files.
I’ll porbably fine tune my menu structures to work well in MCE i.e. don’t have too many files in one folder but also don’t unnecessarily add subdirectories.

MCE could not see where I was keeping dvdfab folders - in my [username] my documents/dvdfab, as that was too deep a nesting from the C: root ?, so I moved everything to C:dvdfab & now it’s happy.

I do think that fab rips slower in vista home premium though - I have 2 very similar dell core duo PCs, both wih SATA drives and I reckon then XPMCE edition pc (wich has 2 raid 1 hard drives) rips 40-50% faster than the vista home premium one which is ripping to a single hard drive. ( tested with same DVD in both - I can get 12-13Mbs in xp , only around 7Mbs in vista )

So I’ll probably keep fab on the XP machine & copy over the rips that I want to see in MCE - I’t good to have backups of backups anyway :=)

I’m using Vista Home Premium for this so results should be simular.
I ripped a DVD so I could make sure all audio streams were left in.
GSpot shows 4 audio streams I renamed it .mpg & mpeg it didn’t seem to make any difference.MCE played it no problem.I just right clicked it & opened with MCE.
The other .vob I changed was originally a .flv from youtube.I ran it through Super I think .I have a couple of converters & did it a while back.Anyway I changed it to 2 channel stereo from mono.It probably just duplicated to mono but it plays as 2 channel .Mce played it Ok too.