I resolved my issue last night! I swapped an NEC with a cd-burner and it too wasn't initialized. This told me it had nothing to do with which optical drive(s) I had... glad I didn't just order another drive. I then googled the exact error message from the Device Manager (Code 37) and found a registry edit to fix this. The edit was to remove the "UpperLimit" and "LowerLimit" for something (can't remember now). Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, just go into the device manager, copy the exact error message and paste it into google. Then look for the website that has this listed as a "Question" with the "Answer" being a registry edit that asks you to (1) export your current registry, (2) clear those limit values and (3) reboot. Thanks to those who replied for your help! This was my first post on this site and I've had a nice experience. Maybe this thread will help someone else some day. PS -- I also suspect that restoring to a previous restore point would have resolved this issue. Since I'm new, I don't know how to close this thread... I'll see if I can find how, but if someone else can, that would be a good idea since this issue is now resolved.