Vista 32bit -> Windows 7 64bit: Clean Install and What Else?

vbimport

Hello,
I am getting ready to install Windows 7 Professional - 64bit on my laptop, which originally came installed with Vista Home Premium - 32bit. I have done much reading on the procedure (it seems much easier than going from XP), but I still want to make sure that the upgrade goes smoothly.
I’ve read that I can use Easy Transfer to back up my PC to an external hard drive before doing a clean install of Windows 7. What is the difference between Easy Transfer, and just moving the contents of my “C” drive over to the external drive? My plan was to move my PC data over to the external, install Windows 7, then move the folders and files back one at a time; I really need to edit out things anyway.
I know that I cannot simply “upgrade” from 32bit to 64bit; I need the full version of 7, but I’ve seen two listed - one at $299.00, and the other at $199.00. What is the difference and which one do I need? Would Ultimate be the way to go, since I’m doing audio/video editing and production?
Are there any tips or tricks to this installation? I’m assuming that 7 can be formatted onto my “E” drive partition, but what becomes of the Vista OS? I was told I could have both Vista and 7 on my PC, but I don’t know why I would. I am one who actually liked Vista though.
Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time in reading this,
Eric

[QUOTE=Eric Holtz;2598372]it seems much easier than going from [B]XP[/B])[/quote] There is no upgrade path from XP to 7.

What is the difference between Easy Transfer, and just moving the contents of my [B]“C” [/B]drive over to the external drive?
Easy Transfer makes the user account as well.

I really need to edit out things anyway
Then you should to that. The clean install is usually a lot better

Would [B]Ultimate[/B] be the way to go, since I’m doing audio/video editing and production?
Probably yes. Ultimate edition has everything.

Are there any tips or tricks to this installation? I’m assuming that 7 can be formatted onto my[B] “E”[/B] drive partition, but what becomes of the Vista OS?
If it’s on the same drive and you are using the upgrade process, it will be upgraded to Windows 7.

Yes you can just move your C Drive over to your external and then copy them back 1 at a time.

The only difference from Pro and Ultimate is Bitlocker and being able to use more than 1 language.

$299.00 and $199.00 sounds like they may be a Home vs Ultimate version or it could be a Full version and OEM version or something like that.
Would need more info on what they are saying.

I’m assuming that 7 can be formatted onto my “E” drive partition, but what becomes of the Vista OS? I was told I could have both Vista and 7 on my PC, but I don’t know why I would. I am one who actually liked Vista though.

You can have both but you might find that Win 7 is good enough, also keeping multiple OS’s on a system can be a lot of extra work keeping them all up to date.

Make sure you have all the Laptops drivers before starting, some Laptops do not have 64 bit drivers for there mobo.