Virus Scan/Spyware Software

Hello all.
I’ve been looking and searching for a new virus scan program for a while now and just wanted the opinion of the fellow CD Freaks. :wink: Right now i run McAfee and it seems to do the job, but I’m sure there may be something else out there that would be better. I hear from friends often that I should run what they run (can’t remember what they use at the moment, though :() and drop McAfee. So if you have a different program that you run and think might be better than McAfee, or just would like to share a helpful opinion, please let me know. :flower: Thanks. :bow::bow::bow:

[quote=ChezPizmo;1955388]Hello all.
I’ve been looking and searching for a new virus scan program for a while now and just wanted the opinion of the fellow CD Freaks. :wink: Right now i run McAfee and it seems to do the job, but I’m sure there may be something else out there that would be better. I hear from friends often that I should run what they run (can’t remember what they use at the moment, though :() and drop McAfee. So if you have a different program that you run and think might be better than McAfee, or just would like to share a helpful opinion, please let me know. :flower: Thanks. :bow::bow::bow:[/quote]
There are only 2 programs that I would ever use

1. Kapersky Internet Security
  2. ESET Nod 32 Smart Security

McAfee and Nortons use way to much system resources. You could do better and save money buy going to FileHippo.com and download AVG anti-virus and AVG anit-spyware, Spybot and SpyBlaster for free and free updates!! Go check out what your missing.

NOD32 is VERY good…one of the highest detection rates and the lowest false positives at the same time…a nearly impossible feat and a sign their team has got their act sorted out…but it´s not free.

AVG and AntiVir come out maybe best in the free group.

Go to av-comparatives.org and read everything carefully

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. I plan on checking all these out; McAfee just doesn’t seem to be cutting it. I’ll be starting with the free ones of course =P
If anyone else has some more suggestions, fire away!

Hi,[QUOTE=ChezPizmo;1955671]If anyone else has some more suggestions, fire away![/QUOTE]Ok. :bigsmile:
Some rules:

[ol][li]Don’t rely on any “security software”
[/li][li]Prevent installing any malware at all":
[/li][list=a][li]Never use an user account with administrative permissions unless you install software or do other computer maintenance tasks
[/li][li]Make sure, you have the latest updates for operating system an internet related applications installed
[/li][li]Don’t use software that is known to be vulnerable
[/li][li]Don’t use software from unreliable sources like P2P
[/li][li]Don’t execute mail attachments
[/li][li]Have “show extensions” option in Explorer enabled[/ol]
[/li][li][B]Note: You can’t clean a compromised system at all.[/B][/list]
[/li]
Michael

Great thread guys. Very useful and informative. I followed all the tips and and tried the programs. Thanks again. I’m hopin’ it helped many others besides just me.