Virus can't get XP safemode to boot

vbimport

I am using XP and have gotten a virus that is shutting down my PC a couple seconds after boot up. I can’t get it into safe mode because it doesn’t load the entire start menu to get to Run. I don’t have a Boot disk to restore off of. I need to get into safe mode and run a system restore. Any help?

Do you mean that it is shutting during the boot-up so quickly that you can not press the F8 key during boot-up to get into safe mode?
I would think if Windows had a virus that it wouldn’t cause it to shut down that quickly before it can even load the F8 key safe mode
options menu during boot-up. It sounds more like a power supply problem to me if it is shutting down that quick within a couple of seconds
of hitting the power button. :iagree:

By any chance did you just install SP3 on XP?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2126450]By any chance did you just install SP3 on XP?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm…never thought to ask the OP about that good catch alan :iagree:

I have this same problem but it restarts before the desktop shows and none of the options in the bios page help any. I have xp pro sp1.

besides the xp cd how can I get my computer back?

If you can boot into BIOS mode & change the BOOT ORDER so that your PC boots to your optical drive 1st, than you can boot from your windows cd, or from your anti-virus cd (or 1 you’ve created on another PC).
That way you can run anti-virus from the cd rom, instead of your infected hard drive.
Once you’ve corrected the problem, don’t 4get to change the BOOT ORDER back to it’s previous setting!

[QUOTE=I could use help;2126381]I am using XP and have gotten a virus that is shutting down my PC a couple seconds after boot up. I can’t get it into safe mode because it doesn’t load the entire start menu to get to Run. I don’t have a Boot disk to restore off of. I need to get into safe mode and run a system restore. Any help?[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you buy one? Windows XP is not very expensive now.