Virus Attack!

Hi,
Got a problem which looks like a virus infection.
Sometime back I found that the registry could not be opened. The reason was a brontok virus, which I think I removed with a Bitdefender brontok removal application. But then I found this other problem: the ‘back’ button in any application would not work. The button just won’t be highlighted. So I cannot click on that. I can only close the window and start again. Any way out of this?
Any kind of help is much appreciated.

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2215813]Hi,
Got a problem which looks like a virus infection.
Sometime back I found that the registry could not be opened. The reason was a brontok virus, which I think I removed with a Bitdefender brontok removal application. But then I found this other problem: the ‘back’ button in any application would not work. The button just won’t be highlighted. So I cannot click on that. I can only close the window and start again. Any way out of this?
Any kind of help is much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Ok, well you did the right thing. But what we need to know is what kinda system you have? Then we will know what to recommend to do. The last resort if you can’t fix the registry or recover it is to do a complete system Restore from the recover cds or complete wipe and reinstall of your O/S back onto your system. That is the last resort but sometimes is the only way to fix the problem. But what I don’t get is what “back” button are you referring to?? A virus attack is hard to fix the General opinion is to reformat and restore your system cause a compromised system is still compromised even after the virus removal.

It is Windows XP sp2.
We open My Computer, and click on one drive. When it opens, we will be able to go back to ‘My Computer’ by clicking the back button. It will be enabled. But it is not so in my case.

Is your computer a home built or factory built??? I still think the virus did some damage to the registry and a complete restore from factory cds will repair that problem. But til I find out if it is a home built or factory built. Is that “back” button just missing from my computer or from IE as well and explorer menu???

It is home built. No, the back button is not miissing. It’s there, only it is not enabled.

I agree with cc.
Many experts agree that once a system has been compromised, it’s best to nuke it and start over.

Having said that, you can try the following:

1). Do a system restore and return your system to a date that peceeds any problems.

2). Try to force the back button in your internet browser and windows explorer. Open your browser and advance to another site. There is a little black downward arrow just past both the back and forward arrows. If this is not grayed out, click on them and use the dropdowns to force forward and backward activity.
I suspect this won’t work, but it only takes a few seconds and no harm done.

3). Utilize a registry tweak such as:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/tweaklibrary/tweaks/11398/

There probably is one on the MS site, but I don’t have the next 30 days to hunt for it…:rolleyes:

4.) Use a decent registry cleaner like regseeker…ther’s a link in my sig.
It’s safe (as cleaners go), free and effective.

Best of luck.