Virtual Memory Low

vbimport

** Thread closed, as the OP was just posting to display spam in his signature. Thanks to everyone that replied. :flower: Hopefully others will still benefit from the replies anyway. :wink: **

It has been a while since I have been really into the hardware (or even software aspect) of computer technology, and unfortunately I am having what seem to be some hardware related issues. As of about a week ago, my computer has been running extremely slow at times, especially in the morning when I get on and it has been left on all night. It has also been giving me a windows error that says my “virtual memory is running low” and that “windows is adjusting it now,” etc. Well whatever windows did doesn’t seem to be working because I am getting the message increasingly more often. After the message pops up, I get a few “Progrom not responding” prompts from various programs and the computer locks up and I must reset using button. What little info I knew regarding memory types and computer hardware in general is now lost, and I call on you guys for help. Thanks a lot, and here are my specs:

• ASUS K8 Triton Series, nForce3
  • AMD Athlon 64 3500+
  • Seagate 80gb HD @7200rpm (about 89% full)
  • Kingston ValueRam: PC2700, 512gb x 2
  • ATI Radeon 9800Pro

Things I plan to try tonight:

• Complete defrag
  • Full system scan (anti-virus, spyware)
  • System clean-up

This sort of thing is never simple. But, chances are that there’s some program that’s leaking memory (consuming more and more of the RAM over time). It’s usually a matter of opening Task Manager and looking to see that processes are claiming the most memory. The culprit will be way out of proportion to the other processes.

The simple solution to memory leaks is simply to reboot, but the program that’s doing it really should be got rid of.

there’s plenty of other things that can contribute or cause your issue, but this is the best place to start.

Another possibility would be too small amount of RAM, or a hard drive that’s too full, or the combination of the two.

If you are running xp, 1 gig should be plenty for most setups unless the memory is failing. you can use memtest86 (free download) to test your memory.
http://www.memtest86.com/
Also follow the suggestions that have already been made. Open task manager (hit ctrl, alt, del at the same time in windows xp). On the processes tab, see what is using all your memory. Just google the name of the process to see what it is or what program it belongs too. Also as mentioned, if your hard drive is too full it can cause problems. Windows uses hard drive space as extra memory as a buffer. If you drive is too full, it may not be able to increase virtual memory when it trys to, so it keeps trying. Remember that the recycling bin is probably competing for space and if I am not mistaken, the default for the recycling bin is 10% of the drive (about the amount of space you have left). Try freeing up some space on the hard drive to see if that helps, but if you have a gig and need that much virtual memory, definitely check task manager to see what is using so much memory.

you could try Free Ram XP pro

http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=10516960&merid=85179&mfgid=85179&ltype=dl_dlnow&lop=link&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3040-2086_4-10516960&ontId=2086_4&destUrl=http://www.download.com%2F3001-2086_4-10516960.html

The problem is that your drive is 89% full. Your system will always use about 1.5x your rams size for page filing. You can either turn off page filing or reduce the amount of data stored on your hard drive. It can also be a program that is leaking memory like CDan said. I know that Firefox still leaks memory sometimes on my single core PC and will take up 200MB of ram and ramp up my CPU usage to 100%. It could be a program that is leaking but seeing your system specs right now it looks like a hard drive storage problem. Windows needs at least 15GB of free space for defragging and at 89% capacity it is most likely that you need to delete or burn stuff off your hard drive. Virtual memory is just what it says it is, Windows makes a part of your hard drive virtual ram for your PC to use.

This is really not a good idea. WinXP manages memory very well, and tools like this tend to create more problems than they solve. The solution is to find and fix the source of the memory problem.

I missed that about the drive being 89% full. Clearly that is the reason it gets so slow when the RAM runs out. But I still suspect that the origin of the problem is elsewhere.