Virtual Drive Vanished

vbimport

I really need help on this, please …
I could install CloneCD and Alcohol 120%, the last one with 2 Virtual Drives so far, but I can only find them on Windows Device Manager …
AXSAKI SCSI Controller is the only thing Alcohol related there and I can see 2 AXV Drives on CD-ROM list too …
BUT I can’t see them on Alcohol drives list or on My Computer.
So, I can’t use them at all !
Could you please gimme a hand on this ?

Windows XP sp1a
All others, updated …

GruvWiz :confused:

maybe it’s just me but i can’t seem to understand your problem a hundred percent.
i don’t understand what you mean when you say you see them in windows device manager, but can’t see them on your pc…
i understand that it is not listed when you start alcohol, but is it listed in windows explorer??
i know i’m not big help, but here’s my advice

simply reinstall alcohol or uninstall clonecd. although it shouldn’t complicate the things, i don’t think it’s neither advisable nor necessary to have both CloneCD and Alcohol installed.

hope you’ll be able to fix the problem

cheers
chrisi

Don’t uninstall clonecd I have blindwrite suite and alcohol 120 and clone-cd all on the same PC when you open alcohol what drive letter is it , and what system are you running then myself and others may be able to help you.
:rolleyes:

You have trouble seeing yours and I want mine gone. I just got done reloading XP did all the updates and installed Blindwrite, shut down restart no problem. I then install alcohol installs no problem, but I do not want the virtual drive I go to virtual drive hit the drop down and change to 0, damn BSOD so I restart and try to change the VD to 0 again it bluescreens, was told to remove the alcohol scsi driver did that and now alcohol won’t start it need the virtual device driver for the cdrom, well it’s not there I was told to remove it from alcohol support forum. and then…

Well it removed the driver but now alcohol won’t start, “cannot load cdrom virtual device driver”
Well this totally screwed my system, now it won’t start period, repair console won’t fix it, safemode to uninstall alcohol won’t fix it (won’t start in safemode BSOD), and I just got done reloading the system Alcohol caused 2.5 hours worth of work to be useless and wasted a good product activation by telephone with microsoft. Last known good configuration doesn’t work either.

Anyone have any idea’s? It looks like I will have to reload XP again and call microsoft again

Well, as far as I could see, no one could understand me just because my “complex” english …(hehehe)

1- K9Cop : My system is on my first message (XP)

2- Chrisi : I am ONLY able too see any Virtual Drive inside my System Properties/Device Manager/CD-ROM/DVD-ROM stuff …
Hit that Windows symbol key on your keyboard + Peuse Break key and you’ll open that … :slight_smile:

3- Kamikazee : You should start a new thread about your plroblem and not start a big mess ! (hehehe)
As far as I can see, you are in deep :Z !!!

…and just to finish this, I can’t see ANY Virtual Drive !!!
CloneCD ones, Alcohol, or even Daemon Tools !!!

I really need a good advice on this …

I just ran into a simular problem where the a virtual drive letter is removed and I’m not be able to get the drive letter back resulting in a Windows installer error on drive E:\ when Alcohol 120% tries to load up.

This was an accident since I removed the AXV CD/ROM and SCSI/RAID Host Controller driver not knowing what it was for. When I put the drivers back in through Add/Remove Hardware in Win XP, they loaded up ok but no drive letter appeared in My Computer/Windows Explorer.

The AXV CD/ROM driver can’t create its own drive letter. When Alcohol was first installed it has to bump a currently used physical CD/ROM drive down one letter and its own virual driver occupy the one above it.

In order to get my AXV CD/ROM drive letter back I had to:

Start Computer Management under Start/Administrative Tools
Open Disk Management folder
Right click and open Change Drive Letter and Path… from the pull down menu of any one of your physical CD/ROM drives
The current drive letter will be highlighted, click the change button and assign the drive letter that caused the error to the physical drive.
Keep hitting OK and leave Computer Management
Execute the application (Alcohol) and it will bump the physical drive down a letter and reassign the drvie letter that was causing the error back to the Virtual Drive.

Let me know if this works for you.

Nesaukee

none of my drives work anymore… i had daemon tools, virtual clone, alcohol and a what not all installed then rebooted and didnt have any cd drives visible in my computer… they’re all detected in BIOS and in device manager and windows sees them and the hardware wizard starts up and then i get an error “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)” its a pain in the ass because i just got the new hitman and i cant play it because i dont have any cd drives… help pls…
-Monkey

Originally posted by MonkeyDude
none of my drives work anymore… i had daemon tools, virtual clone, alcohol and a what not all installed then rebooted and didnt have any cd drives visible in my computer… they’re all detected in BIOS and in device manager and windows sees them and the hardware wizard starts up and then i get an error “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)” its a pain in the ass because i just got the new hitman and i cant play it because i dont have any cd drives… help pls…
-Monkey

usually a problem with corrupted or not properly installed upper and lower filters. first use this proggy to determine which are installed:

http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

then go to the registry, find the proper key and delete the filters one by one, first let’s say the clonecd filter, then alcohol filter, then easycd creator filter, and reboot. when the cddrives reappear you’ll notice which filter caused the problem.

I don’t remember correctly in which key in the registry the filters are stored, google certainly has the answer, search for “upper and lower filters” keywords

If you have nero (or you install the demo), it will repair filter-driver problems automatically.

now i get
Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Wubdiws was unable to save all the data for the file \windows\system32\drivers\set3.tmp. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere

yes i had the same problem on my windows XP .
after reinstalling the virtual clone drive last time the clone drive
was visible only for a second, tham it vanished.
It was a longer investigation to find out the problem.
I seems to me that Bill Gates does remove the not signed device drivers
registry entries !
One of the latest Hotfixes or security guidelines for XP made this elby
virtual clone drive unavailable on XP.
I could see that in the registry monitor. The virtual clone drive setup works
ok, but after the installtion a service from XP removes five entries from the registry:
HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Enum/SCSI/CdRom&Ven_ELBY&Prod_DVD-ROM&Rev_1.0
in this directory are the installed devices that ones you can see in the device manager !
subdirectory something like : 1&2afd7d61&0&000
(Protected in XP ! you must give yourself the access rights even when you are administrator , click right mouse button)
If you have installed it many times there are a lot of these directories.
Find out which one is the right one by changing the DeviceDesc and the
FriendlyName and control it in the device manager.
If you had a working virtual clone drive earlier, than you can see there the
right registration. the ca. 5 entries deleted by Bill Gates you have to enter again. And the the Clone Drive reapeares.
something like
service REG_SZ cdrom and other entires

that it

Martin

Mine also dissapear shortly after installing and when increasing the number of virtual drives.

All i seem to have got from these postings is that it might be Bill Gates doing wat he does best (annoying users) with one of his hotfixes to his finest creation yet.

Can anyone put the solution to this problem in understandable english so i can sort my drives out.

cheers :bigsmile: