Virtual disk drive?

vbimport

hi,

how can i determine if my exe is in virtual cdrom or in my real cdrom? when i mount my iso with virtual cdrom, my exe sees itself in cdrom. i am trying to write a program but no idea about this subject?

The whole point of virtual drives is that they behave exactly as if they were physical devices. If detecting the difference was simple, then they wouldn’t do what they were supposed to.

you have said no difference that a program can determine???

The virtual CD-ROM and the real drive should have different letters assigned by Windows. In this way you should be able to distinguish the drives.

[QUOTE=geno888;2468201]The virtual CD-ROM and the real drive should have different letters assigned by Windows. In this way you should be able to distinguish the drives.[/QUOTE]

but is it a way that my program understand that it is a virtual drive or not? My program uses the drivetype command, but it does not differ virtual drive and physical drive?

how can my program detect virtual drive by looking different drive letters ???

Virtual Clonedrive reports its “Device Instance ID” in Device Manager as:
SCSI\CDROM&VEN_ELBY&PROD_[B]CLONEDRIVE[/B]&REV_1.4\1&2AFD7D61&0&000

If you test this property for all virtual drive software that your program will support, you might be able to detect it this way.

Thank you. It is a good way. But one question: There are many programs that create virtual drives. And i can forget or cannot know some of them and their ids. So is there anything i can look for my physical drive, and differ virtual drive and physical drive? If not, i will try what you’ve suggested.

@sbas
You certainly know tools like YASU which cloak the virtual drives of DAEMON Tools & Alcohol.
Maybe you get some first clue if you use some Registry monitoring tool to check what’s YASU changing when active.