Virtual CD over a network

Hi guys, i have a PC that i use as a Router and i wanted to to install Win2k Pro.

It presently has 98SE on it but because it doesnt have a CD-Drive in there i was wondering if there was a way to turn the mapped CD-ROM on my other networked machine into a Virtual CD on the router PC so that it would allow me to upgrade to Win2k Pro.

I really wanted to use Linux to do the routing but i tried Freesco and it only supports PPPoE protocol and my net connection is ADSL PPPoATM and ive been unable to find a Linux prog that supports this.

Its a shame as Freesco runs off a single floppy.

So is there any prog that will let you use a Mapped CD-Rom drive be seen as a virtual CD Drive?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

I take it this is not possible then oh well if you dont ask . . . Lol.

you should be able to install win2k over the network. however, to do so in the way you have described, i am not sure of. here is a link that describes how to prepare to install win2k over a network - but its rather techie. good luck :smiley:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6268-1054824.html

Thanks for the info ckin2001 i will try and follow the guide.

I did try and Copy my Win2k CD over the network onto one of the partitions on the PC that i wanted to install Win2K on but it knew it wasnt installing from a CD and threw up an error. :frowning:

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Ch5Micky
[B]Thanks for the info ckin2001 i will try and follow the guide.

I did try and Copy my Win2k CD over the network onto one of the partitions on the PC that i wanted to install Win2K on but it knew it wasnt installing from a CD and threw up an error. :frowning:

Thanks again. [/B]

You should be able to install Win 2k off a local hard drive easily. Copy the cd contents into a directory of your choice. Change to that directory and type Winnt. That’s all there is to it.

Edit: I’m sorry, you have to change to the i386 directory before running Winnt.exe.