Virgin to monitor their customers!

vbimport

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7444390.stm

I am using this as my very first post so hello to everyone.

Now I am the last person in the world who is computer literate and I am always asking the IT guys at work stupid questions however I joined Virgin a couple of months ago.

Though I am not illegally downloading things over the net I am completely suprised by the their new stance on this. Yes most of their customers probably have nothing to worry about however surely this is going to push away even those who have nothing to hide simply because of the thought of Big Brother watching them!!!

What does everyone think about this?

Welcome to CDF! Fellow Virgin customer here :slight_smile:

A similar article was posted a little while ago: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f83/uk-isp-bows-record-industry-send-p2p-warning-letters-246311/

You can read my thoughts in said thread :wink:

I certainly won’t be changing what I’m doing with my connection (currently), since I’m not a prolific downloader anyway.

Hello!

I must admit that although I haven’t done any downloads it was certainly something that I was interested in and was why I went to Virgin in order to have a good connection at a cheapish unlimited price! This now has me a little bit worried!

In the past, even with their AUP (Acceptable usage policy) and Terms & conditions, they’ve always been very vague, with a passing mention of not downloading copyrighted stuff.

Even their traffic management stuff on their site, the speeds they limit you too aren’t too bad.

That said, they have adopted (apparently) a “three strikes and you’re out” approach, which still means you get warned first before anything happens (in theory anyway…dunno if they’ll move the goalposts on that one).

Could be worse. If it had been BT, they’d disconnect you as soon as look at you, LOL (I know this from my dialup days!). :wink:

Will be interesting to see what they do. If they are really tough then I see it hitting them in the pocket long term!

Thanks for the valuable advice :wink:

[QUOTE=jwgmorley;2074888]Will be interesting to see what they do. If they are really tough then I see it hitting them in the pocket long term!

Thanks for the valuable advice ;)[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome :)…and I completely agree about it hitting them in the pocket :iagree: