Viewing Software for Slower Computers?

Hi all,

I have been working on an instructional video contract recently. My client intends for the final product, a DVD, to be played on either TV/external DVD-players, or on laptops, using DVD viewing software.

They have been experiencing glitchy audio (ie. brief, but brutal stutters, occasional desynchronization) when playing the DVD on laptops using software like RealAudio, Windows Media Player, and one or two default programs. They are using older laptops. The audio issues do not occur when the DVD is being played on TV/external DVD-players.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend some of the most reliable DVD viewing software, for potentially older computers. Absolutely nothing fancy required: just needs to play DVD reliably, and interface with DVD menu in a simple way, and must be a free download.

I’m currently thinking VLC Media Player? So far so good for me on this one…

Many thanks

Jeff

Yes, VLC gets two thumbs up in my book.

VLC is much lighter on CPU usage than most other players, and will play something where e.g. QuickTime will grind to a halt. :iagree:

I use VLC on my netbook (which only has a fraction of the CPU power compared to my 4 year old laptop) and it works great.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I like VLC also.It is the main video player on my old pentium 3 desktop.
I will mention GOM player but it may have spyware.

Thanks for the replies!

but, ugh-- VLC is great for playing the video without audio glitches, but the DVD menu’s mouseover highlighting, for the first time, is not working properly. Can anyone suggest another low-processing media player, like VLC, that isn’t VLC?

You might find something to work on slower machines here: http://www.oldversion.com/

[QUOTE=jeffwc83;2408492]Thanks for the replies!

but, ugh-- VLC is great for playing the video without audio glitches, but the DVD menu’s mouseover highlighting, for the first time, is not working properly. Can anyone suggest another low-processing media player, like VLC, that isn’t VLC?[/QUOTE]

Highlight with the mouse & hit the enter button.This usually works on menus that the mouse doesn’t work correctly with.
Right click on the screen also allows some navigation.
You could try GOM player.It may bug you to install more codecs.It will work I didn’t get the spyware some say they do .
If I remember correctly you need to carefully install it allowing only what you want to be installed.
I actually copy the folder that’s in Program files after the install to another location.Uninstall the GOM player then put the folder back in Program Files & make a shortcut of the .exe file on the desktop.
This will make it ask to install a newer version every time you start it but it will also work better.I have no explanation as to why.
There is also Mplayer but a bit more difficult to use.If you try it gmplayer.exe is the shortcut you want to use.

In case anyone else does have a chance to comment on this problem, this is what I mean:

Mouseover in VLC:

Mouseover in WMP:

If only I could get the low-CPU usage of VLC, with the working Mouseover in WMP…

Mouse over works here…VLC 0.9.9, WinXP SP2, ATI Graphics. Worked in both Overlay and DirectDraw.

@olyteddy; IMO your example movie is one of the worst movies ever made.
I was going to post an image but everything I had handy the selection works different.
It doesn’t highlight it has the function underlined or an “icon” at the side of the mouseovered selection.

@olyteddy; IMO your example movie is one of the worst movies ever made.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f1/what-have-you-just-bought-cd-dvd-related-otherwise-177736/index157.html#post2409138

The k-lite codec pack contains MediaPlayerClassic Homecinema, which is the lowest cpu user of all the mediaplayers I have tried.

Wow, that appears to work! Thanks a ton