Viewing pc played vids on dvd player

Hi everyone,

Seems there’s something simple I should be doing to get the standalone to view the laptop’s video files, but I plug’d each in and the only thing I’ve yet managed to do is to view the desktop background on the standalone.

My video card’s RADEON IGP 345M and so long as I’ve ticked it’s “Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor”, the desktop’s background is displayed on the standalone.

Untick it and of course the standalone immediately goes black or blank screen.

Found nothing googling and no help in either standalone’s or VAIO’s help feature, manuals or user guides.

My gut tells me this’s something pretty simple or at most maybe a plug-in to get one (or all) of the pc players to stream the video onto the desktop (as I suspect then the standalone would display the videos).

My pc file players are WMPC & WMP10.

Have usual assortment of other app’s like MSWMM, SUPER, DVDDecrypter, ImbBurn, WinDVD5, MovieFactory4, etc.

Enable overlay mode.
Use VLC.

Reply generous, just not enough for me as I know not where needed overlay is and for me, VLA means nothing except its myriad of google hits.

I did manage to find an overlay tab in my card’s properties, its window simply has sliders for brightness, etc. And its “clone mode options” button led to ghosted display modes ‘only availed w/dual-controller mode, not single display or extended desktop’.

Its ghosted regardless if the standalone’s on and wired up or not.

Even had trouble going back and getting anything to appear on standalone as until I unticked the card prop’s troubleshooter’s “Enable write caching*” (requiring a re-start, which’s not yet done), but everytime before unticked that, when I clicked ‘Extend…’, it wouldn’t and unticked itself (until I’d unticked ‘Enable…’).

Am sure this means something re the issue, just don’t know what.

When connected and running Windows screensaver, my “My Pictures” selected screensaver plays the pics except strangely whenever each next pic displays, when some pics display on the laptop, those aren’t seen on the standalone (and visa versa).

And not seeing any differences in those pic’s properties.

VLC seems like a great tool, no
"overlay" option in it that I can find.

Anyone know what the 1st reply tried saying about ‘use overlay’??

I suggest running dxdiag, then check for overlay mode, also check that for in the gfx prefs.

Actually you need to [I]disable [/I]overlay or acceleration. It is because overlay is on that the vid can’t be seen. In VLC: Settings -> Preferences -> Video -> Output modules (tick ‘Advanced options’ ON) -> (drop down) Windows GDI video output -> Save. Other methods are to turn off acceleration(s) from one of the video tabs in dXdiag or set ‘theater’ mode in your graphics card settings.

Assuming replies acknowledge and pertain to set up, ref. RADEON IGP 345M card.

Forgive duh-ness, but while I do ‘get it’ when a bit of navigation is referred to, but I’m still lost when we’re saying to tick overlay and/or don’t (and no navigation was referred to).

Where are we referring to ‘those’ options, the advanced display settings, WMP/WMPC?

As you can see, my instructions were for getting VLC Media Player to show up. Other video players will have similar options, but not exactly the same. The dXdiag instruction will fix it for any player and the location of ‘theater’ mode will vary depending on your OS and video driver.

olyteddy - Thank you for replying.

I tried VLC setting as you suggested for “GDI video output”. No joy.

When you suggest to “disable acceleration”, if you mean after first ticking ‘extend my windows desktop onto this monitor’, then disable acceleration by using my RADEON IGP 345’s display > properties > settings > advanced > troubleshoot tab’s slider for hardware acceleration, I tried all varients of that slider. No joy.

When you suggest to “disable overlay”, where, I see nothng in my display settings to do that, and the only thing I managed to find in VLC was in settings > preferences > video > “overlay video output” (not ‘disable overlay’), but I tried unticking the overlay video output (whch was default ticked) and still no joy.

The standlone DVD player does seem to be trying to display the video as I can see about 50 or so very thin white lines that pulsate brighter when the audio track hits it’s high peaks.

chef - Thank you for replying, but your replies thus far have left me more confused than I started because instead of answering my questions about your uggestions, now your on another track, and there too your suggestions are so abbreviated, its impossible for me to follow them.

But thanks anyway. Maybe you could post back when you have more than a few seconds to reply?

Sorry man, tried to help.

I cannot know anything.

Okay, ran dxdiag.

In the ‘display2’ tab’s window, I see that all 3 acceleration ‘disable’ buttons are ghosted and so is the 3d test button.

But there is hope yet. When running 'display2’s test of directdraw, all 3 tests displayed properly on the standalone.

So if correct, as suggested, running vids on VLC should display on the standalone DVD player, but they’re not, even after I tried most every individual VLC setting there is.

I did notice one thign kind of maybe peculiar while testing display1. The standalone displayed (for the first time) other than just the desktop’s background.

When display1’s tests were running (properly in display 1, the laptop), standalone displayed the contents of my open txt doc and the outline of the directx diagnostic tool’s open window.

Also mentionable, might be that during that test, the standalone displayed the desktop sizing of the laptop and not the standalone (ie; 1200x800 vs 800x600).

Lastly, don’t suppose it amounts to a hill of beans, but I’m set up for true color, 32-bit & 60 Hz (as I’ve unsuccesfully tried using other such settings both for display 1 and 2, even trying out other Hz settings up to 75Hz).

Any suggestions?

Hmmm. It’s finally dawned on me (after inadvertantly noticing parts of that seen on display 1’s screen that were partially displayed on display 2’s screen) that it seems the way “Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor” actually works in displaying things on display 2, is when duh user then drags things off to the right of the display 1’s visible screen (onto display 2’s area.

As such, anything dragged off the pc’s visible area of that screen (dragged onto the display 2’s area of the screen), such as documents and even media players (ah-hem) then are not only visible, but media players (maybe any player) then is not only visible, but also controlled by the user simply cursoring off the pc’s screen and onto the display 2’s area, where the user needs only to click play, then fullscreen and presto, the video plays on that display screen (ie; standalone DVD players or any other device capable of processing and displaying such data).

How long would it have been before someone might have eventually asked me if I was able to see anything “dragged” onto the display2’s area???

Seems like all I need to do now is to see about improving the slight fuzziness that anything dragged onto display 2’s area exhibits.

Thanks for all the help though.:bow:

We are not there. How long would it have took you to tell us?