VideoStudio 11 inflating file size

there are other free authoring options such as DVDStyler http://www.dvdstyler.de/.
You shouldn’t need an encoder for this project since your capture device creates MPEG2 mpg’s.
I personally would avoid Nero. It is known for doing the same thing Studio is doing now.

Thanks. I need to add chapter points at specific places in the content. I see DVDStyler will do this, but it requires using a separate editor first to get their exact starting points. This is the sort of thing a jog wheel is handy for, which I assume free programs lack. Plus I like to be able to choose a representative thumbnail for each chapter. I also looked at DVD Flick, but it will only insert chapter points every x minutes. No manual placement.

I’ll keep looking!

[QUOTE=reynald;2161638]I’ve captured a 2 hr. 24 min. videotape that I want to burn to DVD with Ulead VideoStudio 11. The source file is barely over 4 GB. I added a chapter menu, but when I try to burn the DVD, VideoStudio tells me I need 8.33 GB on my destination DVD. That’s too much even for a dual layer blank DVD, for which the program tells me the disc has only 7.96 GB available (on an 8.5 GB DL disc).
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? For some reason the program seems to be doubling the amount of space needed. Video quality shouldn’t be an issue; the capture has already been done. I’m using default project settings (except for trying a DL destination DVD).[/QUOTE]

I have exactly the same problem using VideoStudio 12. I have captured a 3.96 Gb MPEG file from a VHS tape. However, VideoStudio says that I need about 6 Gb to write to a DVD-5, and therefore it recompresses it. I do not want to recompress my MPEG file, which is perfectly valid for DVD. Is there any way to avoid VideoStudio size checking when making .ISO DVD images? That would be the way to avoid fitting our good-sized videos into smaller sizes. Is there any way to alter the bitrate data in the MPEG file so VideoStudio thinks it will fit? Do you know the structure of the MPEG header?

Best regards.

If you got the file for vhs, it is mpeg1, not mpeg2. You need to set your output options in videostudio to mpeg1 and you should have an option in there to allow it to not re-encode the video.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2272779]If you got the file for vhs, it is mpeg1, not mpeg2. You need to set your output options in videostudio to mpeg1 and you should have an option in there to allow it to not re-encode the video.[/QUOTE]

I just tried this – indicated in the project settings that a file I captured from VHS is MPEG-1. VideoStudio still sees the file as twice its actual size and says it won’t fit on even a DL disc.

Six months have passed since the last activity in this thread, but unfortunately, I have made no further progress on solving this problem. As I mentioned, when I contacted VideoStudio support about the doubling of the file size, they said it’s because you need to have at least twice the available file size on your hard disc in order for it to do the burn, but that’s obviously not the problem since I have enough HD space. VideoStudio is doubling the file size for some reason that I have been unable to determine or remedy. I wasted my money on the program and have not been able to use it.

I still welcome recommendations for any other reasonably priced (under $100) authoring app that has a jogwheel and will allow me to create manual chapter points and choose my own thumbnails for them. I have been unable to find such a program.

[QUOTE=reynald;2272833]I just tried this – indicated in the project settings that a file I captured from VHS is MPEG-1. VideoStudio still sees the file as twice its actual size and says it won’t fit on even a DL disc.

Six months have passed since the last activity in this thread, but unfortunately, I have made no further progress on solving this problem. As I mentioned, when I contacted VideoStudio support about the doubling of the file size, they said it’s because you need to have at least twice the available file size on your hard disc in order for it to do the burn, but that’s obviously not the problem since I have enough HD space. VideoStudio is doubling the file size for some reason that I have been unable to determine or remedy. I wasted my money on the program and have not been able to use it.

I still welcome recommendations for any other reasonably priced (under $100) authoring app that has a jogwheel and will allow me to create manual chapter points and choose my own thumbnails for them. I have been unable to find such a program.[/QUOTE]

The problem is the bitrate detection of VideoStudio. It detects much more bitrate than the real one (perhaps the max bitrate versus the average). That’s why it says it cannot fit 3.96 Gb of MPEG2 data into a DVD (yes, I said MPEG2, not MPEG1, it does not depend on VHS or whatever). You can fix the problem when using DVD-5 discs by just selecting a DVD-9 disc in VideoStudio and creating DVD folders (not a disc or burning directly). However, there is no fix if you want to fill a DVD-9. We will require a patch to avoid VideoStudio using a maximum size for DVDs.

I will have to look on Video Studio. I have mada a couple of dvd videos using Studio 11, and I didn’t have any issues with size restrictions. I believe that I put about 4.1gb on one of the dvd’s, but I can’t remember for sure.

[QUOTE=reynald;2272833]
I still welcome recommendations for any other reasonably priced (under $100) authoring app that has a jogwheel and will allow me to create manual chapter points and choose my own thumbnails for them. I have been unable to find such a program.[/QUOTE]

You can try DVD Lab Standard.
I use Pro, but either one has 30 day try, so you can see if you like it.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2273600]You can try DVD Lab Standard.
I use Pro, but either one has 30 day try, so you can see if you like it.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread (which I realize has been going a while!), DVD Lab Standard’s base cost of $99 doesn’t include DVD-9 DL support (add $26). I’m looking for something under $100.

Just to follow up my own post, I see Pegasus currently has a competitive upgrade offer for TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4. Cost is $100; they toss in a $20 Amazon gift card and a template pack. Perhaps I’ll give that a try.