Videos Won't Play!

OK a few weeks ago I had a new video card installed in my comp and a clean reinstall of XP at the same time.

Reinstalled all my software and everything works fine except for one thing…no video playback. I’ve installed all the codecs using AceMegaCodecs. MP3s play fine and DIVX seems to play fine through the Divx Player. All other video files (mpg, avi, mpeg2 DVDs and VOB) seem to freeze any media player I try.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks!

Do you have this problem when playing movies from a burned disc or also when playing from hard disc?

Both!

Often codec packs can cause problems. I suggest to install as few codecs as possible.

Try this: uninstall all codecs in your computer, and then download the portable version of VLC player (it’s free and, being portable, it doesn’t require any installation. Simply unpack the zip or 7-zip archive in any folder you like and run the executable).

VLC is already able to play most of movie types without any codec installation.

I’m not sure that it can be related, but check also if DMA is enabled (see link in my signature)

VLC doesn’t work either, guess I’ll have to take it back for a diagnostic!

Maybe another fresh install is worth a try :slight_smile:

Make it clean again is always good!

Turned out to be an Nvidia driver problem, updated it and things are now running fine!

Thanks for your suggestions!

[quote=Kyliefan001;1947624]OK a few weeks ago I had a new video card installed in my comp and a clean reinstall of XP at the same time.

Reinstalled all my software and everything works fine except for one thing…no video playback. I’ve installed all the codecs using AceMegaCodecs. MP3s play fine and DIVX seems to play fine through the Divx Player. All other video files (mpg, avi, mpeg2 DVDs and VOB) seem to freeze any media player I try.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks![/quote]
VLC VIDEO PLAYER.WORKS you may need ffd show which is free as is VLC…go to afterdawn.com
no problems works every time…