Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T02]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

heres the topic for debate why is a FUJI TYG02 better than a staples disc if it has the same dye? in otherwords, the page that comes up in videohelp through dvdidentifier says discs of different BRANDS with the same media code (and same manufacturing plant) have different ratings, if a ritekg05 is the worst of the bunch, shouldnt all the ratings be bad, bad, bad…as opposed to some brands being rated higher? in if its a true ty, then why woud the brand differnece change the rating? to get a clearer picture here is the actual link DVDID brings up, note how the FUJIS rate so much higher than the other discs that are the same.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?UDI=[DVD%2BR%3AYUDEN000-T02-000]

Most of those discs aren’t actually made by Taiyo Yuden; they’re discs made by low tier manufacturers who stamp the YUDEN000T02 code on their discs to “improve compatibility” with burners because their discs either aren’t supported at all in drives’ firmwares or not supported well (i.e. an 8x but max speed is 4x). Only trusted brands like Fujifilm, TDK, Sony, Verbatim, and Plextor are actually discs made by TY in Japan.

To reply to your other question, discs with the same mediacode sold under different brands can actually be of different quality. Any production line gives products with varying quality, sort out by quality control, and some brands/companies buy the premium stuff, while others buy the lesser (because cheaper) stuff.

Soemetimes the difference can be quite dramatic, like the G05s you mention. Goes from very good to utter crap depending on the sources (and it’s a real mess, believe me :bigsmile: ).

Two I have yet to get a TY verbatim, as the ones available here are MCC, MIT ones. Do Verb actually still use TY as a source?

That depends on where “here” is. TY Verbatim is only for the European market.

Not even “Pastels” in the USA?

Correct, no Pastels in the USA.

Thanks :slight_smile: - I have difficulties sometimes to gather (and remember :bigsmile: ) all the info about what’s available where:doh:

Sorry I thought it was under my user name. I am part of the European market as I am in the UK and have never had a TY Verbatim.

From what I read in your printer thread, I guess you don’t shop online? I got a spindle of 25 Verbatim YUDEN000 T02s from www.svp.co.uk awhile back - I still have half of them, I don’t want to use them all up, LOL. :bigsmile:

I must admit, that’s the only place I’ve seen a TY Verb, either online or B&M shops!

www.digitalpromo.co.uk also offered TY Verbs recently, didn’t check if they still do. They probably still carry the Pastels (always TY) anyway.

Nope don’t shop online, I can’t as I don’t have a bank account.

Why buy Verb TYs online when in the same places you can buy TY branded discs?

There are no “TY branded” discs. I guess you meant “unbranded”…?

Why? Price (they’re cheaper), or personal preference, or the lifetetime warranty, or the smaller spindles (unbranded must be bought in 100-discs spindles), or the writing surface… you name it.

You mean TY UNbranded…hehe, what can I say, I’d never ordered TY online before, so I tried the Verb ones. Now I do buy unbranded TY from them, but so far it’s only been for CDRs. :slight_smile:

My logic works differently. If they come direct from manufacturer without third party branding for example Verb, then they are branded as the manufacturers own brand, much like Tesco own brand, oh well I am strange at times. :slight_smile:

Mmmh… different definitions of “branded” again. What I call “branded” discs are discs with a clear, indentifiable brand name, clearly visible on the packaging of the product, or on the product itself, and in the case of optical media, accompanied with a model name.

Even if it’s not the exact definition of branding, I think it’s what most people will have in mind with the word “branded”. So if they read “TY-branded” discs and don’t know about them, they will be confused when meeting the actual product (“there’s no brand on this package! It’s not what I’m looking for, someone told me to buy TY-branded discs, these are unbranded, I don’t want them”). I think that’s why most members here refer to these as “unbranded TY discs”. :wink:

BTW TY does have its own “brand”, That’s, that can’t be found outside Asia (AFAIK).