Video Size help

vbimport

I want to put 10 episodes of prison break on dvd. They are about 40 mins each and about 350 mb each. I have a 4.7gb dvd so why only two episodes can fit? Thats not even half of the season and it would require 5 dvds. How can I fit more on there since the dvds you can buy at the store can have up to 4 episodes each which is twice as much. Is there a way to fit more on there? Its only about 84 minutes of video and takes up the whole disk so whats the deal with that? I appreciate any help.

Sounds like you are converting to dvd-video, which uses mpeg2 codec and isn’t as efficient in compression. Commercial dvds use dual layers…roughly twice the size of your single layer blank dvds.

You can burn dual layer dvds and get more episodes on each disk (only use Verbatim brand DL dvds by the way). Or you can reduce the resolution size of your videos, or lower the bitrate as you convert. This could adversely affect the quality of your transcoded video however. Playing with just the bitrate, you should be able to fit 2 to 2 1/2 hrs on a single layer dvd without causing too much degradation of the video.

You don’t mention which program you are using to convert. Try using FAVC or DVDFlick, import 4 episodes to your compilation and let it reencode to fit a single layer disk. See if you like the results.

The easiest method is simply to get a dvd player that can play avi files. If the files you have now are encoded with divx or xvid codecs, many newer players can handle this format. All you have to do in that case is to burn to disk as data. You should be able to fit all 10 on a single disk.

1. How can you check if the dvd players at the store play avi files? 2)How will the quality of the episodes of prison break be as avi files on a data disk compared to regular dvd burning? I am using dvd flick to burn my movies. Thank you very much for the help already given.

You’ll just have to read up on dvd players and their capabilities. Most dvd players will list the ability to play avi files as one of their features. And many will have a Divx logo on the front of the player.
www.videohelp.com lists over 2000 dvd players that have divx/xvid compatibility.

Avi files burned as data will have no quality loss. They should be better than videos that you have converted to mpeg2/dvd-video format.

One more thing I’d like to ask is if the avi files will play on the tv full screen just like the dvd copied video. Will it be fit properly by itself or do I have to do something? Thanks in advance

Depends on your tv and the aspect ratio of the avi files. If you have a widescreen tv you probably want a 16:9 avi and common sizes for xvid encoding are 624 x 352 or 640 x 352.

Check the avi files with Gspot video utility or MediaInfo.

Ok thank you very much man. You mentioned that I should use the Verbatim brand DL dvds. 1)Is that the dual layered dvds? 2)So the way it works is that I can have one movie on one side and another on the other side? 3) Would my laptop be able to burn such discs with no special burners? 4) What should I choose DvD-R or Dvd+R, which one is better? Sorry for all the questions

You won’t need dual layer dvds if you keep them as avi. Converting to dvd-video you can fit more onto a single disk.

Dual layer dvds only have one side that is burned. It is also known as DVD-9. If you are using DVDFlick you can probably add 6 or 7 of these files into your compilation and create a dvd with menus to select each title on a dual layer dvd.

Unfortunately, there aren’t that many laptop drives that are good for burning dual layer dvds. Even Verbatim. You can try it, but DL disks are expensive for experimenting.

To know for certain if your burner is supposed to be able to burn DL media either let us know the model or use Nero InfoTool to find its capabilities.

"Converting to dvd-video you can fit more onto a single disk."
What do you mean by that? Explain that a little bit beginner style for me lol.
Also which to choose? dvd-r or dvd+r?

“Converting to dvd-video you can fit more onto a single disk.” I just meant that if you are converting the avi files to dvd-video, you can fit more of them onto a dual layer disk than a single layer. You can get about 4.3gb on a single layer, and about 7.9 on a dual layer.

• or -R doesn’t matter too much with single layer dvds, at least not with modern equipment. With dual layer, you are better off using +R.

Thanks for the help

Hey umm sorry but one more question if you have time. The dvds I got say 16x but I burn at a 4x rate so if I put it to 8x or 16x, will it be faster and same quality or will the quality get worse?

Burning speed depends on the quality of the disks, and the compatibility of those particular disks with your burner. If you are using high quality disks like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, you can normally burn at their rated speed. Using lesser quality, you should probably burn them at half their rated speed.

Even with Verbatim or TY 16x, many of us burn at 8 or 12x speed. 4x is usually not as good with modern burners and 16x media. Are you using a desktop or a laptop? Unfortunately, many laptop drives are poor dvd burners.

I have a laptop and just ordered a 100 verbatim dvd-r pack because I’m out of my old dvd’s which were memorex. So if I use verbatim discs on my laptop, what speed do you recommend I should burn at?

Laptop drives are their own special little set of nastiness…at least for us here trying to help people. Many of them are not very good. There seem to be a few from LG and Pioneer that are decent, but the Matsushita drives seem to be uniformly awful. So, without knowing which drive you have, and its capabilities, I’m a little handcuffed on trying to advise you on burning speed with it.

Nero InfoTool can tell you the capabilities of the drive…including top burning speed for each type of media.

Try it at 4x with the Verbatim first. If you feel brave, and your burning program allows it, try a test at 6x too.