VIDEO_RM is driving me nuts

Hi everyone. :slight_smile:

I have been going nuts trying to do what I thought would be simple. I want to be able to rip some shows off a recorded disc, edit out the commercials and excess footage (I always start a show 2 minutes before start time to allow the recorder to turn on and get set up), remove the region code and whatever so I can burn a DVD to send to a friend overseas.

I record TV shows with my LiteON LVW-5115GHC+ using +RW or -R Maxell discs in NTSC format. I always end up with a VIDEO_RM folder. Research has said that +RW was the culprit and if I use -R there would be no VIDEO_RM. In my case there is always a VIDEO_RM.

I can watch the shows with VLC and other desk top DVD players and have no problem. I run with WIN XP SP2, P4 2.8Mhz, 2G memory. I have been told I need to use other software to be able to accomplish my goal. I prefer to use Freeware.

DVD Decrypter (DVDFAB 5) will not read the disc. It just shuts down. I have read so much that my head is spinning. Can someone help me rip the VIDEO_TS folder, edit as I previously mentioned, and then burn back to a DVD? I am a real novice in this arena so please be patient. I appreciate any assistance

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Do you also have a VIDEO_TS folder created by recorder?..Did you finalize the disc?
Can’t you just drag and drop only the VIDEO_TS folder to your PC?

You might also want to check your recorders settings. My older Pioneer gives me 2 options, the editable VR or standard DVD-VIDEO output.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2199730]Do you also have a VIDEO_TS folder created by recorder?..Did you finalize the disc?
Can’t you just drag and drop only the VIDEO_TS folder to your PC?[/QUOTE]

I have a VIDEO_TS and a VIDEO_RM. There is no AUDIO_TS. I finalized the -R and do not have to finalize the +RW. Both will not be read. I tried the creating a new folder with a blank AUDIO_TS and dragged the VIDEO_TS from the disc. Doesn’t matter. Decrypter will not read the file either.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2199743]You might also want to check your recorders settings. My older Pioneer gives me 2 options, the editable VR or standard DVD-VIDEO output.[/QUOTE]

I cannot find anything in the user guide. I will go thru it again.

Any other ideas?

ETA: My recorder is external and hooked up to my TV from Cable input. It is not a drive in my PC.

Thank you.

There is no AUDIO_TS

You don’t need it. Nero never uses one and the burns work fine.

What’s in the VIDEO_TS folder? VOBs? Can you play just those on their own?

[quote=StarDew;2199702]Hi everyone.

I have been going nuts trying to do what I thought would be simple. I want to be able to rip some shows off a recorded disc, edit out the commercials and excess footage (I always start a show 2 minutes before start time to allow the recorder to turn on and get set up), remove the region code and whatever so I can burn a DVD to send to a friend overseas.

I record TV shows with my LiteON LVW-5115GHC+ using +RW or -R Maxell discs in NTSC format. I always end up with a VIDEO_RM folder. Research has said that +RW was the culprit and if I use -R there would be no VIDEO_RM. In my case there is always a VIDEO_RM.

I can watch the shows with VLC and other desk top DVD players and have no problem. I run with WIN XP SP2, P4 2.8Mhz, 2G memory. I have been told I need to use other software to be able to accomplish my goal. I prefer to use Freeware.

DVD Decrypter (DVDFAB 5) will not read the disc. It just shuts down. I have read so much that my head is spinning. Can someone help me rip the VIDEO_TS folder, edit as I previously mentioned, and then burn back to a DVD? I am a real novice in this arena so please be patient. I appreciate any assistance

Thank you very much. [/quote]
If you use ‘DVD Decrypter’ (written by LIGHTNING UK!) rather than the different ‘DVD Fab Decrypter’, then you’ll be able to extract the MPEG2 recordings from the disc. Use it in IFO mode and pick the VTS that is the right length.

You say you want to rip the video and edit out commercials. Can we assume that you have software already to do that?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2199898]If you use ‘DVD Decrypter’ (written by LIGHTNING UK!) rather than the different ‘DVD Fab Decrypter’, then you’ll be able to extract the MPEG2 recordings from the disc. Use it in IFO mode and pick the VTS that is the right length.

You say you want to rip the video and edit out commercials. Can we assume that you have software already to do that?[/QUOTE]

I went to to d/l DVD Decrypter by Lightning and I get the following:

The installer your are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.

This could be the result of a damaged disc, a failed download or virus.

Etc.

I then went to Wiki to read about it and seems it is not something I should mess with.

As for the editting, I am not even going to venture there anymore. All I want to do now is just be able to rip the tv shows, remove region code, burn it and send it overseas. They can choose what to watch.

I did take a screencap of the VIDEO_TS folder and cropped it.

I do find this interesting. How can the date modified be 1/21/2009? It hasn’t arrived yet? I checked my PC, the DVD recorder and the cable connection and they all say 1/17/2009. I don’t understand.

I have recorded 5 1 hour shows with the 4th being a blank record because I forgot to leave the Cable box on. Now I am totally confused. :frowning:

Stardew wrote,

“I then went to Wiki to read about it and seems it is not something I should mess with.”…

Where the heck are you trying to DL it from?..
http://www.mrbass.org/

I’ve never had any issues with it,and I don’t know anyone else that has…

^Exactly… use [B]t0nee1[/B]'s link. It’s under ‘DVD Burning’ -> here

I Googled DVD Decrypter and found a link to Lightning and went there. I guess I made an error. I apologize. I just d/l and installed so I will play with it for a bit and let you know how I fare. Thank you for the screen cap link. :slight_smile:

ETA I went to www.dvddecrypter.org.uk hangs head in shame I will bbl after I read and work with it a bit.

StarDew ;This is what works for me.First make sure your -R is not in VR mode .With the +RW it will be in Video mode on most recorders.
The software to use is ImgBurn.There is plenty of guides for it but here is the simple method:
Use Mode/Build to build an .iso to the hard drive into it’s own folder.
Choose only the VIDEO_TS folder for the build.
Once the .iso is on your HD select Mode/Write use the .iso as the source & the destination will be your Burner.
The files on the DVD disc will be the standard DVD format.

I need to add to the above post.
You now need DVDShrink.
There are also guides for DVDShrink.
What you need to do with it is load the .iso burned with ImgBurn into DVDShrink.
Use its Re-author & Set/Start End Frames to edit out what you need to.
This is a link to a video tutorial on using DVDShrink to remove chapters.The same can be applied to remove commercials.
You neeed to drag the title over (The same title) till you have all the commercials for that title edited out.You need to do this for each section you cut.
http://www.dvdshrink.info/re-author-advanced.php
The guide shows an older version but the basics are the same.
When finished use DVDShrink to Backup to an .iso you can then write that with ImgBurn to disk.
It will still be in NTSC but DVDShrink can make it region free.
If you need to convert to PAL you will need more software.
There is a paid software DVDRedo that is supposed to be easier.I don’t have it so I can’t say how well it works.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2199898]If you use ‘DVD Decrypter’ (written by LIGHTNING UK!) rather than the different ‘DVD Fab Decrypter’, then you’ll be able to extract the MPEG2 recordings from the disc. Use it in IFO mode and pick the VTS that is the right length.

You say you want to rip the video and edit out commercials. Can we assume that you have software already to do that?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2199948]Stardew wrote,

“I then went to Wiki to read about it and seems it is not something I should mess with.”…

Where the heck are you trying to DL it from?..
http://www.mrbass.org/

I’ve never had any issues with it,and I don’t know anyone else that has…[/QUOTE]

I decided to experiment with a +RW disc that had 1 movie on it and some left over space.

I d/l the correct Decrypter.
I ran it first as the entire disc. oops
Then set mode to IFO and ran it. Couldn’t find the output. Then I ran it again in IFO. btw created a folder and empty VIDEO_TS folder for the output.
I tried to play the ripped folder in VLC and it wouldn’t work. Buffer overflow.
I thought maybe I am supposed to now run DVDFAB 5 but alas, it wouldn’t read the ripped folder. I have spent 5 hours playing with this so here I am again.

Please I ask for patience here. I don’t know if I did this correctly. Is the output folder of the Decrypter ready to play? Was I supposed to follow ISO the steps in the link that t0nee1 provided? I don’t understand how to determine the correct VTS. I am assuming it means VIDEO_TS or has it to do with the vts_01 type files?

I am nervous asking all these questions but then I am a true newbie when it comes to working with DVDs. I appreciate all the help provided and your time.

[QUOTE=cholla;2200184]StarDew ;This is what works for me.First make sure your -R is not in VR mode .With the +RW it will be in Video mode on most recorders.
The software to use is ImgBurn.There is plenty of guides for it but here is the simple method:
Use Mode/Build to build an .iso to the hard drive into it’s own folder.
Choose only the VIDEO_TS folder for the build.
Once the .iso is on your HD select Mode/Write use the .iso as the source & the destination will be your Burner.
The files on the DVD disc will be the standard DVD format.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cholla;2200313]I need to add to the above post.
You now need DVDShrink.
There are also guides for DVDShrink.
What you need to do with it is load the .iso burned with ImgBurn into DVDShrink.
Use its Re-author & Set/Start End Frames to edit out what you need to.
This is a link to a video tutorial on using DVDShrink to remove chapters.The same can be applied to remove commercials.
You neeed to drag the title over (The same title) till you have all the commercials for that title edited out.You need to do this for each section you cut.
http://www.dvdshrink.info/re-author-advanced.php
The guide shows an older version but the basics are the same.
When finished use DVDShrink to Backup to an .iso you can then write that with ImgBurn to disk.
It will still be in NTSC but DVDShrink can make it region free.
If you need to convert to PAL you will need more software.
There is a paid software DVDRedo that is supposed to be easier.I don’t have it so I can’t say how well it works.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how to make sure the -R disc is not in VR mode. I put the disc in the recorder, it preps it, I record a TV show/movie, and then try to get the region code and stuff out so I can send it to a friend overseas.

Let me see if I understand you.

Use Imgburn selecting mode -> build.
Select the VIDEO_TS folder as the source and create a new folder for the target.
When complete change mode to write and use new folder as source and burn a DVD.

I will save your instructions to a file for future reference. NTSC/PAL I don’t know. My friend is going to play the disc on a PC so I think that it doesn’t matter at this point.

Thank you and now I am going to make some dinner and try to digest my meal and all the assistance from this forum. I really like this place. The people are fabulous.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

[quote=StarDew;2200713]I decided to experiment with a +RW disc that had 1 movie on it and some left over space.

I d/l the correct Decrypter.
I ran it first as the entire disc. oops
Then set mode to IFO and ran it. Couldn’t find the output. Then I ran it again in IFO. btw created a folder and empty VIDEO_TS folder for the output.
I tried to play the ripped folder in VLC and it wouldn’t work. Buffer overflow.
I thought maybe I am supposed to now run DVDFAB 5 but alas, it wouldn’t read the ripped folder. I have spent 5 hours playing with this so here I am again.

Please I ask for patience here. I don’t know if I did this correctly. Is the output folder of the Decrypter ready to play? Was I supposed to follow ISO the steps in the link that t0nee1 provided? I don’t understand how to determine the correct VTS. I am assuming it means VIDEO_TS or has it to do with the vts_01 type files?

I am nervous asking all these questions but then I am a true newbie when it comes to working with DVDs. I appreciate all the help provided and your time.[/quote]No problem: this is the Newbie forum and I’m sure we’ll get you there :wink:

Below is the window from DVD Decrypter, set in IFO mode and reading a +VR disc in my machine. On the right-hand side, upper window you can see the main video title in the first video title set (VTS 1) is PGC 1; highlighted and being of length 1hr 17 min 37 sec (the fact that it appears twice - also at PGC 3 - is a quirk of VR and represents the edited version).

On the left-hand side halfway down, under ‘Destination’ is the folder where the ripped video will be stored. You can change that by clicking the folder symbol slightly to the right and choosing a different location. You can see I’ve chosen C: emp.

Clicking the big DVD -> Disk symbol starts the rip. The files will be named something like ‘VTS_01_1.VOB’ and ‘VTS_01_1.IFO’. The IFO file is there just for completeness and you can probably forget it.

Rename the VTS_01_1.VOB to something meaningful, and change the file extension from .vob to .mpg.

Now try playing the ripped .mpg file in VLC.

I have a silly question. How do I change the file extension?

Right click myfile.[B]vob[/B] and choose ‘Rename’ now type myfile.[B]mpg[/B]

I can only change the filename not the extension. :frowning:

ETA: I had to change a setting for the folder via Control Panel. Did that, renamed file, got the are you sure message and tried to play in VLC and same thing, PTS out of range buffer overflow. :frowning:

I think you are probably in Regular Video mode.
If it played on a PC in a foreign country it shouldn’t matter about
NTSC/PAL .
One possible problem could be the region code .In the US yours should be 1.
I use AnyDVD to make my discs region free but it’s not freeware.
DVDShrink has a region free setting for its Re-author backup.
You understood the simple instructions for ImgBurn if you do it that way there will be no RM folder.
All my settop DVD recorders put in the RM folder so I have used ImgBurn for this.
What you will have is a VIDEO_TS folder with files in it & an empty AUDIO_TS folder .
The build will create 2 files 1 .mds & 1 .iso all you need as the source is the .mds file.The way I understand it is the .mds is an information file & loads the .iso.
It will usually work with just the .iso .
If you do decide to edit DVDShrink will do this for you.It just takes a lot of time.
Here is a user manual for your unit:

http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/DC/Series%20Manual%20LVW-5115GDL+/user_manual/en_us/LVW-5115GHC+%20English%20For%20US.zip

[QUOTE=cholla;2200785]I think you are probably in Regular Video mode.
If it played on a PC in a foreign country it shouldn’t matter about
NTSC/PAL .
One possible problem could be the region code .In the US yours should be 1.
I use AnyDVD to make my discs region free but it’s not freeware.
DVDShrink has a region free setting for its Re-author backup.
You understood the simple instructions for ImgBurn if you do it that way there will be no RM folder.
All my settop DVD recorders put in the RM folder so I have used ImgBurn for this.
What you will have is a VIDEO_TS folder with files in it & an empty AUDIO_TS folder .
The build will create 2 files 1 .mds & 1 .iso all you need as the source is the .mds file.The way I understand it is the .mds is an information file & loads the .iso.
It will usually work with just the .iso .
If you do decide to edit DVDShrink will do this for you.It just takes a lot of time.
Here is a user manual for your unit:

http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/DC/Series%20Manual%20LVW-5115GDL+/user_manual/en_us/LVW-5115GHC+%20English%20For%20US.zip[/QUOTE]

Page not found. I have the user manual that came with my unit. I can find nothing in there to help me. :frowning: