Video Making Problem

vbimport

I’am trying to make a video clip with the ultimate aim of uploading onto YouTube.
It’s a music video and should be quite simple. One song and one picture.
I’ve done this many times but not for a few years and consequently I’ve forgotten how to go about it.
So I went with what I could remember. I chose the ‘Make Your Own DVD-Video’ option and then ‘Make Slide-Show.’ Or alternatively I can choose ‘Make Photo-Slide Show (DVD).’ I dragged-n-dropped the picture I want to use into the project and then the song. I chose an option which makes the picture last the same length of time as the song. There is of course no point in having the picture last for 4 seconds if the song lasts for 5 and a half minutes. I hadn’t noticed this option before (in the ‘More’ section) and so in the past I had do this part manually and so I’m not sure if this change in practise (or method) has any bearing or is part of the problem I’m having.
I then burn the project onto disc. Once done I remove the disc then reinsert the disc into my PC and click on ‘explore.’
I now see the files on the disc.
Normally I would then open my ‘Any Video Converter’ program and drag-n-drop the video files (which should be Vob files) into the program and convert to Mpeg or Avi or any other format which YouTube accepts.
However, Any Video Converter could only take portions (either no audio or no video) of the files and the result was that when converted the files only lasted for fractions of a second.
I then noticed that the largest file (10.7mb) was a DVD Movie file and wondered if YouTube would accept this as it was. I then uploaded the file onto YouTube and it was accepted, one picture and one 5 and a half minute song.
This made me wonder why I had needed to convert the vob files at all when I’d uploaded to YouTube in the past, a few years ago.
I did notice however, that although the music ran the whole 5 and a half minutes, the YouTube counter stayed at 0:01 seconds and the progress bar was always at the end of the song (the right-hand side) even though the song played all the way through.
I then shared the song with Facebook but when I went back to YouTube the picture had disappeared. Now the project featured the whole song but no picture and the counter and counter bar was running the way it should but with audio only, no pic.
When I look at the file now, it’s changed to Mp3.
So, what I’m asking is, how do I make a ‘fan video’ which I can upload onto YouTube ?
I used a DVD-RW for this project but that shouldn’t have mattered one way or the other but just in case I’m wrong about that I offer the information.
My O.S. is Windows XP and I use Nero 7 Premium.
Please don’t offer or suggest alternative burning or conversion programs because I know that what I’ve got works perfectly well, it’s just that I’ve forgotten how to do it. A step-by-step guide is what I’m after if possible.
Please help.
Thank you.

@ Robert , I have Nero 7 Ultra installed on VistaHP .
I don’t know how much difference there is .

The slideshows I’ve made were done with WindowsMovieMaker which used WindowsDVDMaker . That is what I used for the only YouTube I ever did.
I only did it for the “accent” thread here at club.myce .

I can give a try with Nero.
I’m not sure which slide show function will work best with YouTube.
I would neeed to look for it but I think it was a .wmv .

[QUOTE=cholla;2694458]@ Robert , I have Nero 7 Ultra installed on VistaHP .
I don’t know how much difference there is .

The slideshows I’ve made were done with WindowsMovieMaker which used WindowsDVDMaker . That is what I used for the only YouTube I ever did.
I only did it for the “accent” thread here at club.myce .

I can give a try with Nero.
I’m not sure which slide show function will work best with YouTube.
I would neeed to look for it but I think it was a .wmv .[/QUOTE]
I used one more photo and a couple of transitions and also a DVD-R (as opposed to a DVD-RW) and everything worked fine.
But I still don’t know where I’m going wrong with regards to the original problem.
Also, I tried Windows Movie Maker (for the first time) but I can’t figure it out.

@ Robert, I was able to use one image & an audio file.

Started “StartSmart” . Photo & Video . Make A Movie.
This selects Nero Vision 4.
I used “Snapshots” in the pulldown.
Using the “Timeline” tab.
I browsed to an image a .jpg .Selected it & Opened it.
I “Browsed” for media again .
I browsed to a .mp3 .Selected it & Opened it.
Since you didn’t list the audio file extension you are using I used an .mp3 .
I " Shift" key & highlighted both then used the + sign to add them to the “Timeline”.

Right click at the right end of the video track as in the image & drag longer.
You will need to either right click & “Zoom Out” or use the little magnifying glass with the - sign.
Until you get to the end of the audio track.Like the image below.

The Nero preveiw wouldn’t work so I had to hope it was correct.
Select “Export”.
There are various formats I chose “Nero Digital” which creates an .mp4 .
There is some configuration available. I just did a Fast Encoding 1-pass .
If I wanted better quality I would have used 2-pass.
Select the output location you want.
This will be an .mp4 file on your harddrive.
It doesn’t need to be burned to a DVD.

Then “Export” again.
It will start the conversion.I didn’t see a need for an image of that screen.
This produces a playable .mp4 .
This is a .txt file of the .mp4 from MediaInfo:

I uploaded the video to YouTube as unlisted.
It didn’t need a seperate conversion software.
Like the ‘Any Video Converter’ you previously used.
That means you will need to use the link below to view it.

Nero01.txt (3.05 KB)

I realise you’re trying help with a step by step guide but you’re losing me. Right away I come across a problem, I don’t see ‘Make A Movie’ in the Photo & Video section. The closest I see to that is 'Make Your Own DVD-Video.'
I need someone to try the project the exact same way I did (not a different route to achieve the same) and then tell me where I’ve went wrong. But having said that I will try it your way even though half of what you’re saying I don’t understand. But I’ll do my best.

It was “Make Movie” I didn’t realize I added a “A”.
I will work on some more images to show you where it is on the version of Nero 7 I have. I don’t know if there is a difference between Premium & Ultra.
I decided to create the “slideshow” my way because I wasn’sure t exactly how you used to do it. Since you posted two way’s.

[QUOTE=Robert the Bruce;2694454]

So I went with what I could remember. I chose the ‘Make Your Own DVD-Video’ option and then ‘Make Slide-Show.’ Or alternatively I can choose 'Make Photo-Slide Show (DVD). [/QUOTE]

This is the way that StartSmart looks in the version of Nero& I have:

If I need to I can work up a way from the way you used to do it.
At least maybe I can.

This is the way to do this:
Open Nero StartSmart
Photo & Video
Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)

Make sure you are on the “Timeline” tab(second).
You need to do this in the correct order.
1.Use “Snapshots” in pulldown.
Browse for a photo & an audio file (Lower left Blue button).
Highlight & open each one.
2.Select the “More” button.
3.Add the Audio file first. (This makes the " Fit slide show duration to audio duration"
available to check).Check it .Use the Blue + button lower right to add files.
4.Add the photo.

1. Video Options / DVD-Video tab
    I chose LCPM for Audio. For better quality you can use 2-pass.
    Select “OK” button.

6.Now “Next” button in the first image.

7.“Next” button. Again.Should say “DVD” in pulldown.

1. Choose “Do not create a menu”

9.“Next” button.

10.“Next” button.Again.

1. Choose " Write to Hard Disk Folder" & use a folder you have already
    created or create a folder.

12 Select “Write” button.

I used Nero Recode for the conversion to an .mp4.
I didn’t do a test post on YouTube with this conversion but I think it would work.
Since it has worked before your ‘Any Video Converter’ program you posted in the first post will probably do a good conversion.

This should be the way you have done this in the past. It is as close as I can come to it.

This is the one I did with the second method.
I had to change to a different song because I got a copyright warning.
Not a official one but YouTube has an Audio button that will tell you this.
Since the YouTubes I have done are unlisted & I removed the videos as soon as I checked . I doubt I will ever hear anything from YouTube.
I did read some of the YouTube information & apparently they give “strikes” for copyrighted material being used. I would think that is when they have to take it down.
Anyway if I hear anything from YouTube I will post that.

BTW i stopped the song right before a lot of applause since it was live.

cholla - your first screenshot shows four tabs above the ‘Snapshots’ option. I’m trying to follow your instructions but I only see two tabs - ‘Display Transitions’ and 'Display Pictures.'
Also, I don’t know what you mean by ‘Make sure you are on the “Timeline” tab(second).’ I don’t see a ‘Timeline tab’ anywhere, all I see (below the small screen/window) are tabs for ‘Show Pictures’ and 'Show Audio.'
Also, you say "2.Select the “More” button.
3.Add the Audio file first. (This makes the " Fit slide show duration to audio duration"
available to check).Check it .Use the Blue + button lower right to add files."
Well, when I click the ‘More’ button I see no way whatsoever to add the audio file first (or at all) from the window which opens after clicking the ‘More’ button.
I added the photo and the audio but could not follow your instructions to the letter but I stuck to it as close as I could. The pic lasts for the full duration of the song DESPITE the duration (in what I think is the timeline) saying that it lasts for 4 seconds only.
Also in Attachment 260401 I do not see (on the left hand side of the screen) Text, Effects, Video Tracks, Audio 1, Audio 2 or the Plus and minus zoom in and zoom out options although I have seen that before (the Timeline ?) many times but can’t find a way to get it to appear this time.
Also, this didn’t happen as you say 7.“Next” button. Again. Should say “DVD” in pulldown. Although I did see a pulldown with options 'DVD-1 (8 cm,) DVD and DVD-9. Is that what you mean ? Also I saw from 3 options near the top right of the screen ‘do not create menu’ which I chose.
I then followed your instructions as best as I could and finally uploaded the finished article (DVD Movie format) onto YouTube. But once it was uploaded there was audio but no picture. Just a blank screen.

@ Robert ,I will try to make the instructions clearer .
Unless you are going to use “Make Movie” disregard the first set of instructions for that .

[QUOTE=Robert the Bruce;2694618] cholla - your first screenshot shows four tabs above the ‘Snapshots’ option. I’m trying to follow your instructions but I only see two tabs - ‘Display Transitions’ and ‘Display Pictures.’ [/QUOTE]
This is the easy question . If you select “Make Movie” you get 4 Tabs.
If you select “Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)” you get 2 tabs.

[QUOTE=Robert the Bruce;2694618]
Also, I don’t know what you mean by ‘Make sure you are on the “Timeline” tab(second).’ I don’t see a ‘Timeline tab’ anywhere, all I see (below the small screen/window) are tabs for ‘Show Pictures’ and
’Show Audio.’
[/QUOTE]

Robert , I didn’t check the difference on these 2 tabs when I switched from “Make Movie” to “Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)” .
With “Make Movie” it is "Show Timeline"
With “Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)” it is “Show Audio”.
I thought that would be the same on naming since the Nero Vision screens look the same in this area.
“Show Audio” is the correct one to use .

Also, you say "2.Select the “More” button.
available to check).Check it .Use the Blue + button lower right to add files."
Well, when I click the ‘More’ button I see no way whatsoever to add the audio file first (or at all) from the window which opens after clicking the ‘More’ button. [/QUOTE]

This shows the “Fit slide show duration to audio duration” before the Audio is Added:

The image below shows the “Fit slide show duration to audio duration” available after the Audio is Added: [B]You need to check it.[/B]
The ADD button is not in the “More” section .
This also shows the location of the Add button:

I added the photo and the audio but could not follow your instructions to the letter but I stuck to it as close as I could. The pic lasts for the full duration of the song DESPITE the duration (in what I think is the timeline) saying that it lasts for 4 seconds only.
Also in Attachment 260401 I do not see (on the left hand side of the screen) Text, Effects, Video Tracks, Audio 1, Audio 2 or the Plus and minus zoom in and zoom out options although I have seen that before (the Timeline ?) many times but can’t find a way to get it to appear this time.
[/QUOTE]
This is from the first set of instructions . It is only there if you use :
"Make Movie"
The set you wanted are the second set for:
“Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)”

Also, this didn’t happen as you say 7.“Next” button. Again. Should say “DVD” in pulldown. Although I did see a pulldown with options 'DVD-1 (8 cm,) DVD and DVD-9. Is that what you mean ? [/QUOTE]
Yes . Since you want to create a DVD . This is just to make sure it is not set on one of the other options.

Also I saw from 3 options near the top right of the screen ‘do not create menu’ which I chose.
[/QUOTE]
That is so you don’t get a Menu created by Nero .
Since you are going to use a conversion program to convert the DVD Folder & files to a .mp4 . The conversion wouldn’t have a menu.
So no need to create one.

I then followed your instructions as best as I could and finally uploaded the finished article (DVD Movie format) onto YouTube. But once it was uploaded there was audio but no picture. Just a blank screen. [/QUOTE]
I’m a bit confused with :
"uploaded the finished article (DVD Movie format) onto YouTube"
I don’t think that will work .
You need to convert to a format that YouTube accepts.
I used Nero Recode for the conversion .
You said you had used & planned to use ‘Any Video Converter’ .
If that is correct then you need to use it to create an .mp4 audio/video file.

Did you test the “(DVD Movie format)” in any Media Player you have before you tried to upload it to YouTube ?
I always check any A/V I create with a Media Player .
The reason is ; If it doesn’t work on your OS Medi Player like you expect. It isn’t going to work on YouTube.

So Open the (DVD Movie format) in a Media Player & see if it works as expected.
If it does then you probably just need to convert it to .mp4 .
If not something went wrong.
So start over with the second set of instructions.

[QUOTE=cholla;2694647]@ Robert ,I will try to make the instructions clearer .
Unless you are going to use “Make Movie” disregard the first set of instructions for that .

This is the easy question . If you select “Make Movie” you get 4 Tabs.
If you select “Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)” you get 2 tabs.

Robert , I didn’t check the difference on these 2 tabs when I switched from “Make Movie” to “Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)” .
With “Make Movie” it is "Show Timeline"
With “Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)” it is “Show Audio”.
I thought that would be the same on naming since the Nero Vision screens look the same in this area.
“Show Audio” is the correct one to use .

This shows the “Fit slide show duration to audio duration” before the Audio is Added:

The image below shows the “Fit slide show duration to audio duration” available after the Audio is Added: [B]You need to check it.[/B]
The ADD button is not in the “More” section .
This also shows the location of the Add button:

This is from the first set of instructions . It is only there if you use :
"Make Movie"
The set you wanted are the second set for:
“Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)”

Yes . Since you want to create a DVD . This is just to make sure it is not set on one of the other options.

That is so you don’t get a Menu created by Nero .
Since you are going to use a conversion program to convert the DVD Folder & files to a .mp4 . The conversion wouldn’t have a menu.
So no need to create one.

I’m a bit confused with :
"uploaded the finished article (DVD Movie format) onto YouTube"
I don’t think that will work .
You need to convert to a format that YouTube accepts.
I used Nero Recode for the conversion .
You said you had used & planned to use ‘Any Video Converter’ .
If that is correct then you need to use it to create an .mp4 audio/video file.

Did you test the “(DVD Movie format)” in any Media Player you have before you tried to upload it to YouTube ?
I always check any A/V I create with a Media Player .
The reason is ; If it doesn’t work on your OS Medi Player like you expect. It isn’t going to work on YouTube.

So Open the (DVD Movie format) in a Media Player & see if it works as expected.
If it does then you probably just need to convert it to .mp4 .
If not something went wrong.
So start over with the second set of instructions.[/QUOTE]
I’m not trying to create an mp4 file, I’m trying to create an Mpeg 1 file.
When I use Any Video Converter I always convert to Mpeg 1 or Mpeg II
After I ‘burn’ (or save) by using the ‘Write To Hard Disk Folder’ I then locate the file and the format says ‘DVD Movie.’ By right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties or just hovering the mouse over the file I see ‘DVD-Movie.’ As far as I’m aware YouTube does not accept this format (I could be wrong about that) that is why I have to use Any Video Converter.

[QUOTE=Robert the Bruce;2694671]I’m not trying to create an mp4 file, I’m trying to create an Mpeg 1 file.
When I use Any Video Converter I always convert to Mpeg 1 or Mpeg II
After I ‘burn’ (or save) by using the ‘Write To Hard Disk Folder’ I then locate the file and the format says ‘DVD Movie.’ By right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties or just hovering the mouse over the file I see ‘DVD-Movie.’ As far as I’m aware YouTube does not accept this format (I could be wrong about that) that is why I have to use Any Video Converter.[/QUOTE]
So, what is the best method to use ? Make a Slide-Show or Make Your Own DVD-Video ? Remember, I don’t have a ‘Make A Movie’ option (as seen on post No.7 screenshot) until I actually open the program and then I can see ‘Make Movie’ (as seen in post No. 8 screenshot 6)

Can you open Nero Vision with :
Start/Programs/Nero 7 Premium Edition/Photo and Video/Nero Vision ?
The first method.
"Make Movie"
Requires less steps & you get an .mp4 ready to go .
The audio in the .mp4 is not controlable on bitrate.

The second method:
"Make Photo Slide Show (DVD)"
Produces a DVD Folder & file set.
Nero Recode has a lot more control of the .mp4 created .
Including the Audio.
I think this will have a better result for a YouTube upload.

Does your Nero & version have Nero Recode ?

Yes, it has Nero Recode.

If you can select Nero Vision like this

Then Select:
“Make Slide Show” / “DVD-Video”

“Import Files” will bring up the “Import Title” screen.
Browse to the DVDFolder Nero Vision created.
Select “Add Title” the “Close”.

Set the Audio Settings & the Nero Digital Category:
Then Next.

Set Burn options like inmage.

Nero digital settings:
Set as in images.Leave the other settings as they are.

Then select Burn .
You should get this:

This is the MediaInfo from the .mp4 created with Nero Recode:

NERO7 Title 1.txt (3.06 KB)

OK, I’ll try that and I’ll also try the other methods. Experiment. But remember, I have Nero 7 which (when looking at the screenshots) is a bit different to yours.:slight_smile:

Mine is also Nero 7 . Mine is Nero 7 Ultra.
The Nero Vision 4 it has is Version 4.9.5.7
The Nero Recode 2 it has is Version 2.5.2.0
So check & see if those are the same or similar to your Nero versions.

I have VistaHP SP2 & I use Windows Classic for my display .
That is what part of the difference you see is.

[QUOTE=cholla;2694699]Mine is also Nero 7 . Mine is Nero 7 Ultra.
The Nero Vision 4 it has is Version 4.9.5.7
The Nero Recode 2 it has is Version 2.5.2.0
So check & see if those are the same or similar to your Nero versions.

I have VistaHP SP2 & I use Windows Classic for my display .
That is what part of the difference you see is.[/QUOTE]
Mine is Nero 7 Premium (Reloaded) I don’t what version of Nero Vision 4 or Nero Recode 2 it is and don’t know how to find out.
My OS is Windows XP and I use ‘Category View’ for my display, if I’ve got that right.