Video Hard Drive Setup?

vbimport

What is the ideal setup for editing videos? I know RAIDs are the pretty much the way to go, but i cant convince my company to splurge for it.

I read somewhere awhile back that i should at least have 1 drive for my OS and progs and another drive for storage and editing from? Is that correct? If so, should they be separate individual drives or can they just be partitioned from 1? not quite sure how to proceed. I already have a 1TB WD Black drive waiting to go. Should my OS run from that or would that be better for stoage and editing from?

Thanks.

How much video editing are you talking about? What type of computers/OS are you using. What video software? Is this something you do professionally?

Using one drive for the OS and your storage/editing would not improve anything even if you partition the drive. To get the best speed from 2 drives I would suggest using one for your OS and the other for your storage/editing.

RM

And Raid isn’t needed unless you plan on capturing or copying copious quantities of uncompressed video. I have a 1 Tb USB drive connected to my laptop and I can stream a movie locally and one in the living room and rip a DVD at the same time without a bottleneck.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2549623]How much video editing are you talking about? What type of computers/OS are you using. What video software? Is this something you do professionally?[/QUOTE]

a pretty good amount. yes it is professionally, altho im not necessarily a “professional” editor. im using xp at the moment, but am about to build a new rig for work with win7 64 bit. i’ll be using mostly premiere/after effects cs5.

thanks

one last setup question… looks like im leaning toward having a WD Black hard drive and a WB Blue hard drive. would i benefit more from having higher 32MB CACHE on the OS drive or the media/video drive? thanks again!

anyone???

Theoretically the latter one, but you don’t know how much of that cache is REALLY used during the work…

ok thanks… thats what i figured. anyone disagree?

Yo-

Look at my signature below-

I use two computers - one for work and a dedicated burning computer which works out very well for me-eh