Video games outsell DVD/Blu-ray for the first time

Do they take into account games that are downloaded through platforms like Steam and EA Downloader (or what ever it is called now) as well as games like WoW, which I believe can be purchased via download, as well as its subscription?

I just posted the article Video games outsell DVD/Blu-ray for the first time.

At least in terms of consumer spending, retail video games were more popular than DVD and Blu-ray discs in 2008, according to an international research group.Games accounted for 53 percent of…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15442-Video-games-outsell-DVD_Blu-ray-for-the-first-time.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15442-Video-games-outsell-DVD_Blu-ray-for-the-first-time.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

No, this report is only for "Global retail sales of packaged home entertainment ". Along with Downloadable video games; Pay per view, video on demand and other digital movie purchases are also not considered.

So … the music industry is kind-of a lost cause then :stuck_out_tongue:

Yah the music industry seems to get you the least bang for your buck. Even if no one pirated, you walk in to walmart and theres bins and bins of 5-7 dollar dvd’s. The music industry hasn’t tried to cut the price of their product in a very long time. I seldom see anything decent under 9.99, most of it 14.99. Makes other forms of entertainment seem more viable.

A video game for $60 offers infinitely more than 3 times the value of a $20 DVD, no question.
And games are only getting bigger, better, more immersive, more interactive and innovative, with bigger-than-movie budgets.

I don’t agree at all. How often does anyone watch a DVD movie compared to how often they listen to the music they buy ? I doubt its anywhere near as much. People buy music and listen to it over and over and over… and get far more use out of it than a DVD that they would watch every few months or once every year or 2 …