Video Game Styles?

vbimport

So there I was, 2 am and I’m playing Soldier Of Fortune 2. And suddenly I start taking fire from my right, I swing around and zoom my rifle in. At 20x I can barely see my target but he has an UZI and is some how hitting me at that far of a distance! So I waste him and blood begins pouring out of his face the instant i pulled the trigger, no wind, no delay as the bullet screamed across the field, only a rapport and blood. Gouts of blood.

So I began to wonder, do people prefer the honest-to-life shooters like O:FP, any of the Rainbow Six series. Or the over-the-top-frag-a-thon of Red Faction I/II, Serious Sam I/II, Doom, Quake or UT?

Personally I love the in betweens like Counter-Strike, It’s kind of realistic (real weapons) but unrealistic damage (“HEY, I just blew your leg off with my AWP!” “Nuh Uh! I’m still running!” LAN party quotes).

Personally I don’t like any FPS, 'cause it’s so fake. You got people between the ages of 2 to 80 running around w/ a BFG, playing laser tag, giggling… so very very… nm, who gives a fsck. I prefer the EA Sports line-up, turn base strategy, and real time strategy.

I often play 3D-shooters and I like the “realistic” games more. Operation Flashpoint is my fav. Although Vietcong isn’t what I expected, it isn’t all bad either. I like it that you can only carry one weapon and that you can’t hold your gun perfectly stable when aiming.

On the other hand, if I just want some “instant killing”, I prefer games like SOF or GTA; mostly with cheats enabled :o

can i wait and decide after i play half life 2?

Me and you both, ckin.

If you want realism play GoldenEye64 on License to Kill mode. :wink:

Realism is only ever fake realism anyway - the idea of interacting thru a small screen and a keyboard / mouse combination means that you are at a disadvantage to the immersed game characters (how they must love their short existence) so you need a bit of a boost to have a chance.
Frag fest for me, as long as I’m not the one getting fragged. Pick your enemies well.:bigsmile:

A little of both worlds, Semi-realisim with aliens. Yeah, I’m happy.

Like Half Life. I can’t wait until Half Life 2 comes out :bigsmile:

one shot, one kill isn’t very realistic…but i still choose option 1’

i play…mohaa spearhead (realistic), Operation flaspoint and ghost recon

i always get bored by the allien stuff

Screw realism !

I play FPS games because i want to see death !

I want to see blood everywhere (no matter what color , as long as it’s meant as blood) and piles of bodies and rotten flesh.

The weirder the better !

Kill 'em all ! Kill kill kill ! Death death and more death !

If i wanted realism i would join the army and fight in some african country that’s in need of “release”.

Favourites :

Serious Sam I
Serious Sam II
Will Rock

Tough one… I remember playing my first FPS: Wolfenstein 3d. I found it a great game (dunno why… probably because it was a totally new concept).

After playing Wolf3d for quite some times (actually, I played it over and over) I started with Doom. Although Doom was a good game, I immediately got the feeling that I was in some kind of bad sience fiction movie. Why? Strange, kinda “worthless” aliens, horrible scenery etc etc. By then it decided, it was more fun to shoot humans… after some time, I even started to hate these aliens, as they looked kinda cheap to me. Luckiliy enough, Heretic came to my PC… giving me a good feeling of shooting un-human things…

A couple of years later, a great game was released: Duke nukem 3D. This made me like the alien-type of shooters again.

When the Return to castle Wolfenstein was released, I once again got that feeling: I really like to shoot humans… I prefer them over aliens.

And now? I still don’t know. I’ve been playing UT2003 etc and it quite great. Besides that, I played Serious Sam I and II and must say thay I really like this game… I think these two games are the best shooters I’ve ever played. The scenery is really really sweet, the monsters look nice (yeah I like colors) and Sam rocks…

Ah well… :slight_smile:

I play FPS games for the violence of it. The more violent, the more bloody and the more carnage, the better the game and the better I feel my money spent.

Perfect realism really isn’t a factor. The point of the game – or any game, for that matter – is to bring you to an alternate reality for you to indulge your primal urges and destress, basically. There is a certain balance between the unbelievable (God mode on) and the too plausible (one shot kill or severely maimed as IRL) that a game must get. Too much either way and it loses its enjoyment.

I like the sort of middle realism games, but not as much when shooting aliens.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Screw realism !

I play FPS games because i want to see death !

I want to see blood everywhere (no matter what color , as long as it’s meant as blood) and piles of bodies and rotten flesh.

The weirder the better !

Kill 'em all ! Kill kill kill ! Death death and more death !

If i wanted realism i would join the army and fight in some african country that’s in need of “release”.
[/B]

Im with Mr. B. on this one. As long as there is blood, blood, flying limbs, a chainsaw, a shotgun, and blood, Im very happy. :slight_smile:

Games: Serious Sam 1+2, SoF 1 and BloodRayne drool

Semi-realism is my favourite. But I can enjoy aliens and fountains of blood too.
Favourites: BF1942, DoD, Chaser (the glass!) are cool games.

Originally posted by Savannah
BloodRayne drool

vampires fighting nazi’s is way wierder than any alien game, but its still fun as all hell :wink:

Chaser (the glass!)

I haven’t heard much about Chaser, how is it?

It’s cool but one word of caution: leveldesign is HORRIBLE! I spend alot of time running around looking for keycards, doors, stuff that you find at once in other games (/me remebers HL) but takes ages to find in this game. That’s frustrating, but you get rewarded once you do find the item you are looking for.

And the glass! :slight_smile:
It’s the first game I’ve seen with “real” glass, it’s sooo nice to shoot it :slight_smile:
I bombed a greenhouse, glass galore :bigsmile:

Multiplayer has the usual Deathmatch/CTF styles and one “CS-mode” where you are two teams and have objectives and you buy all your weapons and stuff.

I have tried many of the games mentioned over the last few years but I always seem to uninstall them and go back to playing Tomb Raider series.

I never liked sports, TBS or RTS type of games either. Car games are fun, but only on big screen tv.

Originally posted by DawnLoader
[B]I have tried many of the games mentioned over the last few years but I always seem to uninstall them and go back to playing Tomb Raider series.

I never liked sports, TBS or RTS type of games either. Car games are fun, but only on big screen tv. [/B]

Lara Croft ? That 3d Sokoban with as much action as a pokemon card game ?

To each its own i guess :bigsmile: