Video formats and burning to dvd

vbimport

I currently use sky anytime pc whihc allows th edownloads of movies in a wmv format with drm

I use aimersoft alvideo converter to rerecord these movies into a non protected format. the video formats it records to are:

wmv using wmv1 encoder(with option of changing resolution, frame rate and bit rate) max res is 1280 X 720

mp4 using h.264 encoder (with option of changing resolution, frame rate and bit rate) max res is 1280 X 720

and also dvd format (vob file), but with resolution of 720*576 max.

I use nero 8 to burn or create dvds
therefore which is the best format to re-record these films in, so that when i use nero vision, it is high quality but also the quickest bearing in mind i;m wanting to fit one movie per one standard dvd 4.7gb disc

one of my movies is in wmv format frame width 540
frame height 432
data rate and total bitrate 1000kbps
frame rate 25fps
lenght of film 1hour 28 mins
audio bt rate 96kbps

also when i record, and if i choose to rereocrd in wmv, and i select resolution 1280x720, (that being 720p in effect) would that increase the quality of it or reduce the quality when it is eventually burned onto a dvd and played on a 1080p tv using an xbox 360 to play the dvd, and connectong the xbox using hdmi.
and if i change the audio bitrate to 128kbps would that increas eor reduce sound quality?

and finally how do you burn a single vob file of the movie into a dvd format playable on most dvds?

thanks

Ok, so lets see if I have this straight. You are starting with .wmv protected format and you convert and remove the drm with the Aimersoft program.

If your final target is a dvd-video, playable in any dvd player, then you should make this first conversion into a .vob file. You want to keep the conversions to a minimum, so if you can go straight to mpeg2 (which is the video codec used in .vob files) this is the path to take.

Your 720 x 576 is the PAL standard for dvds, so I assume you are in a country that uses PAL? The US uses NTSC standard which would be 720 x 480 for most dvd video.

Once you have this .vob file, that isn’t enough to burn to a blank disk and have it play as a dvd video. It has to be authored, and include .ifo and .bup files as well as the .vob files and be contained in a Video_TS folder. I personally gave up on Nero for making dvds…it reencodes unnecessarily sometimes when making a dvd. You can try it I suppose.

I would either change the extension of the .vob file to .mpeg and import it into an authoring program to make the dvd, or use Vob2Mpg for this process…it doesn’t reencode, it just takes the mpeg2 video out of the .vob container. Then import this mpeg file into a good authoring program like GUIforDVDAuthor, DVDAuthorGUI or DVDStlyer. If your mpeg file is compliant, any of these will produce a finished dvd ready to burn to disk.

On to other questions. Increasing resolution of your original .wmv file will not increase quality. In fact, it will almost certainly look worse. So going from 540 x 432 to 1280 x 720 is a waste of time and effort.

Resampling the audio to 128 will not help it either. You can do it if there is some absolute need for it, but I don’t see it here.

By the way, what audio codec is used in your .vob file? There are only certain types allowed in dvd video, so I hope your conversion program is using one of them…ac3, mp2 or pcm are what you normally see. All at 48khz.

yes i use pal as in uk

when removing drm, only creates one vob file and nothing else, and prefer to use nero 8

so i will ignore vob files as dont want to be installing more software etc

so, when i remove drm, am i better in rerecording in wmv at the same quality or mpg2 at the same quality or mp4 at the same quality, that being, resolution, fps, and audio bit rate?

as standard dvd is 720 * 576 for pal, does it matter that the movie is actually 540 * 432 and therefore chaning to standard dvd size would that be bad idea?

the rest are 640360 movies and again can I recrecord in a 720576 reoslutjon without loss of quality.?

below are list of what resolutuons that each format rerecords in:

wmv = 640*480 or 720 * 480 and the fps flexible (so which one)
mpg2 = 720 576 or 352288 and the fps avaiable is 25fps
mp4 = 640 * 480 or 720 * 480 and the fps flexible (so which one)

Nero 8 huh? Ok, tis your funeral.

As I said before, [B]if your final target is a dvd-video[/B], capable of playing on a regular dvd player, you should convert to mpeg2 to make this dvd. You will have to reencode it to get to 720 x 576…there are only certain resolutions that are allowed in dvd video so this is a necessity. See these specifications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_video Keep it at 25fps. And you have to use ac3, mp2 or pcm audio at 48khz.

The main point is not to reencode twice. Which is why I don’t like Nero for this job. It may very well take the output from your Aimersoft conversion and reencode it as it makes your dvd-video…even if the input files are [B]already compliant[/B] to dvd specifications. I don’t know for certain that it will, but Nero Vision has a rep for doing this in the past.

Good luck.

ok so mpeg2 is the best to retain quality to turn into a dvd, so from a protected wmv to unprotected mpeg2 file

which is the best dvd program to convert from mpeg2 to dvd format, without having to pay for programs as dvdgui thingy not picking any vob or mpeg2 files up

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2136955]Nero 8 huh? Ok, tis your funeral.

As I said before, [B]if your final target is a dvd-video[/B], capable of playing on a regular dvd player, you should convert to mpeg2 to make this dvd. You will have to reencode it to get to 720 x 576…there are only certain resolutions that are allowed in dvd video so this is a necessity. See these specifications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_video Keep it at 25fps. And you have to use ac3, mp2 or pcm audio at 48khz.

The main point is not to reencode twice. Which is why I don’t like Nero for this job. It may very well take the output from your Aimersoft conversion and reencode it as it makes your dvd-video. Even if the input files are already compliant to dvd specifications. I don’t know for certain that it will, but Nero Vision has a rep for doing this in the past.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

and also which is the best audio encoder to use?

Once you have it in mpeg2 format, with everything compliant to dvd-video specifications, all you need at that point is an authoring program. The three I listed before are all free to download and use: DVDStyler, DVDAuthorGUI and GUIforDVDAuthor.

The one I use is commercial, much more complex and far more capable in making menus, but does have a free trial if you want to look at it. DVDLab Pro.

Edit: as far as the audio…you will have to rely on your conversion program to produce the correct audio. Mpeg2 is combined audio and video streams. MP2 is very common on PAL dvds, and should be fine for your purposes, so I suspect that is what it will produce.

i have dvdfab platinun though dont thing that allows the use of mpeg2

and which is the best audio encoder?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2136960]Once you have it in mpeg2 format, with everything compliant to dvd-video specifications, all you need at that point is an authoring program. The three I listed before are all free to download and use: DVDStyler, DVDAuthorGUI and GUIforDVDAuthor.

The one I use is commercial, much more complex and far more capable in making menus, but does have a free trial if you want to look at it. DVDLab Pro.[/QUOTE]

well the aimersoft software gives me the choice of selecting the audio encoder for when i select mpeg2 for the viedo side of things

Well, AC3 is Dolby digital stereo and what is normally used on commercial dvds over here in the US. MP2 is another common format in PAL dvds. PCM is uncompressed and takes up a lot of room, so it isn’t often used, but it is compliant to dvd specs if you need to use that format.

ok, so summarise,

convert from protected drm wmv into mpg2 using dvd specs
then use dvdstyler etc to put as a dvd,

just a question do u kno any programs that are good at and quick at rerecording wmv drm protected movies to unprotected wmv?

[quote=matty69er2k6;2136971]ok, so summarise,

convert from protected drm wmv into mpg2 using dvd specs
then use dvdstyler etc to put as a dvd,

just a question do u kno any programs that are good at and quick at rerecording wmv drm protected movies to unprotected wmv?[/quote]

Sorry. I don’t. Not something I run into.

problem, when i put wmv into mpeg2, and then use dvdstyler to brun as dvd format, leaves a black border all way round

so how do i get out of this?

That is a harder problem. I don’t know your Aimersoft program, so I don’t know the crop features in it, if it has any at all. Do the mpeg2 files have this border before importing to DVDStyler?

yes it does, and alvideo converter is the program i use, if u could look n find out for me

No adjustment for that in your program that I could see. But didn’t really expect it.