Video enhansers

vbimport

Has anyone had any experience with video enhancer software? If so, what product is recommended. I have a 6 hour dvd that was transferred from a VHS tape. It’s watchable but I’d like to improve the quality.
thanks, Jin

[QUOTE=foghat;2568153]Has anyone had any experience with video enhancer software? If so, what product is recommended. I have a 6 hour dvd that was transferred from a VHS tape. It’s watchable but I’d like to improve the quality.
thanks, Jin[/QUOTE]

That depends alot on the Quality of the VHS itself first? If the tape is of high Q then the conversion should be good but if the tape been over played and used alot then I can say the quality conversion would not be the best and transferring to DVD would cost quite a bit because of the time it would take to edit and improve on the quality to cd/dvd media. I gotten a transfer of the animation Light Years that was on VHS to DVD and it was very good but I don’t know how it was made but it does play and sound very good.

Mpeg2 seen in dvd-video is not the best format for editing or in this case, applying filters to improve the quality. Normally if you know beforehand that the video needs to be adjusted, you would capture as an avi file, preferably with a codec that has little or no compression, like HuffyUV. Then use the appropriate filters in AviSynth, or VirtualDub or even AviDemux. After applying the filters, you convert to dvd-video. That would be the best path.

If all you have at this point is the dvd-video, you can try applying filters to your movie with something like Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD, since it can output as a finished dvd-video again and not make you go through an extra step to re-author. Using filters will mean re-encoding the entire movie, and each re-encode can cause a small amount of quality deterioration in itself. You’ll just have to experiment and see if the results are worth the effort.

The Womble program does have a free, fully functional trial you can download. http://www.womble.com/products/index.html

You can also play it in VLC or Media Player Classic and apply various filters to the playback to see if it’s improvable through the use of filters. If you can make it ‘better enough’ then go ahead and re-encode it.

Thanks for all the replies, however using a dial-up isn’t a good way to download some of these programs. Can someone
recommend a professional service that can do this for me?
thank’s, Jim