Video Convert Software

vbimport

:slight_smile: Hi all,

Thanks for letting me be as part of this group.
Yes I am newbies here. Just get the link from my friends.
I have a problem:confused: bout the quality of my video that came from my recorded Vid cam.

Why the pic quality drop so low. But when play it at my vid cam, the video is so clear and great. Hope anyone here could help me and teach me on how to do video converting. What do the people doing business in converting video to vcd, what software do they use.

Hope some here could help me coz I’m doing this for my family gathering. Hope can do the best on next family gathering this coming 1st May. Any help is mostly appreciated and thanks for viewing.

To mr admin, if i doing a wrong [post , hope you’ll forgive me. I will do the right way as you told. Thanks and thanks again all.

Try the Video Editing Forum first. And if that doesn’t help, you can always check out Doom9’s collection of video conversion guides.

It’s quite normal that there’s a difference in image quality between your vidcam and the captured movie on your harddrive. There are many reasons, but these are the most important:

*Resolution (source <-> output)
Depending on your Vidcam type, this resolution can be something like 360 x 240 (VHS), 400 x 300 (S-VHS/Hi8), 700 x 600 (DV). (these aren’t the exact values, but just to give you an idea).

Most TV-screens are only capable of VHS/S-VHS resolutions (higher resolutions like DV are “overkill” on those TV’s). The newest TV’s (HDTV) can show up to 1024x768 and more; the DV-tape and DVD neighbourhood. Off course, you can display higher resolution sources on a normal TV (but you won’t see all the details provided by the source quality).
However, the other way around; displaying a lower resolution quality on a better output, will result in “stretched” resolutions (blocks and the (ugly) artefacts mentioned above). And this is what happens on your PC-monitor (which has a resolution of somewhere 1024x768).

• Capturing device
    It’s easy to understand, that you’ll need something that can transfer your source quality to your PC in the best possible way. This means, when you have a high quality source, you’ll need high-quality transfer (or you’ll lose quality). This is actually the most important (and most budget-related) factor. Professionals use very expensive captureboards to capture analog or digital tapes (can be up to 2000$ and more; Canopus, Pinnacle DC1000/DC2000).
    I don’t think this is an option for the average family movie :slight_smile:

There’s light at the end of the tunnel though :wink: There are cheaper solutions (pfiew!) The cheapest option is:

For DV-tape source: any standard Firewire card will do; with an easy to use software package from Ulead or other packages, this is suitable for most home-usage.

For analog sources (VHS/S-VHS/Hi8): you’ll need a PCTV-card that’s capable of capturing through analog video-input. This card gives the best results in the resolution range of 300 x 240 (equals more or less the source)
I noticed loss in quality though (vague colors, dropped frames, smaller artefacts,…)
Hauppauge or Pinnacle PCTV are best known brands.

Inbetween the professional cards and the cheapest, there’s the semi-professional hardware; like the Pinnacle DV500 or EditionDV.
Those cards are capable of both analog and digital (DV) capturing and have a hardware-capture chip (high quality compression) (whereas the PCTVcards use software compression). These semi-pro cards provide a very good capture quality (sharp and clear images, true colors, no artefacts) and are best used with software like Adobe Premiere.

I hope this cleared something out for you. If you need more info, feel free to ask (but give some more information about your setup please :slight_smile: ; sourcetape, PC specs, budget you want to use,…)

If you want some tips on the capturing itself, editing the captured movies and saving the output (either back on tape or CD; with compression codecs and settings), just ask. (or read some articles on Doom9)

Thanks so much Wannes and stoner,

You done a great job.
Hope can learn more from ya all.
Best of all I really appreciate all kind of help from ya.

Thanks and thanks again.
Thanks in advance.

hi there wannez, can you help me too?, i think i have the same problem with adriana, mine’s a sony videocam, it has no usb port so it’s not that easy to transfer my video 8 to cd/dvd… does the software that you post to adriana can also applied to me? i don’t know where to start… any help will be highly appreciated.

good day adriana, i just want to know if you had any success in transferring your videocam files to cd/dvd?

Read the info in this thread Even though they talk about vhs, you can use the same cards to do 8mm footage as well. Also, this thread is from 2003. In the future start your own topic because normally people will look at the date of the thread and think it’s a dead subject and not respond.