Video Card

vbimport

i am going to buy a Video Card for less than £150 (220 US$) . anyone have any recomendations.

i was thinking about a GeForce 4 MX440 DDr, but i am afraid it may not be able to produce top performance (ie: to allow smooth playing on GTA 3 with all the display setting on max)

suggestions welcome

Avoid MX-cards!

I suggest that you save your money till you can buy a REAL GeForce4 card

cheers m8, but xpand. whats up with the mx ones? surely they’re good for the price?

I agree. The MX cards are nothing more than Geforce 3 cards with out the infinteFX engine. the Ti 4200 is not a bad buy everything that the higher cards have just with 64megs of ddr instead of 128megs

The next doom game(to be released late this year or early next year) was demonstrated on the card that ran it best. Guess what card it was!!!

Yes ATI!!

What more do you need to know?

ATI was the best card and costs half the price…

You could get radeon 8500 cards for about $180 USD…

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]The next doom game(to be released late this year or early next year) was demonstrated on the card that ran it best. Guess what card it was!!!

Yes ATI!!

What more do you need to know?

ATI was the best card and costs half the price…

You could get radeon 8500 cards for about $180 USD… [/B]

The best that runs on Quake III is a Pentium IV with an ATI as well. That does not say a thing about ATI , that says a thing about Quake. Because sad to know , a Pentium IV with an ATI is until now the optima performa for ONLY Quake III and no other game in history.

well , i got a P3 800mhz, and i am still not convinced to not buy a nvida mx card.
@anyone
these ati radeon 8500 - what is the euivalent performance in NVIDA chipset?

eg:
Geforce 3 ti200
Geforce 4 mx 440
Geforce 4 ti 4400
Geforce 4 ti 4600

etc…

btw, if there is a Geforce 3 ti200 (for example) by Sparkle and Guillemot-prophet (for example) , is there much difference in performance.

TIA

i was thinking about a GeForce 4 MX440 DDr, but i am afraid it may not be able to produce top performance (ie: to allow smooth playing on GTA 3 with all the display setting on max)
also , will this video card do the business or not?

Originally posted by shuebhussain

btw, if there is a Geforce 3 ti200 (for example) by Sparkle and Guillemot-prophet (for example) , is there much difference in performance.

Yes there is. Not only the GPU defines the vga card. If they use crappy RAM and other crappy material the GPU will never run at optima performa. Usually every manufacturer thinks they have invented the holy grail with their cool drivers and their graphical card. Try searching to the various test websites (anandtech , tom’s hardwarepage , etc) about their differences.

ATI radeon 8500 = near same performance as GF4 Ti 4200(3dmark 2001 SE, and some game fps test). At half the price :wink:

An GF4 MX is much slower…

Here’s an idea, buy a voodoo 3 3500 and a crystal orb cooler and clock the snot out of it (works for me).

Have a Voodoo 3 running at 203 MHz with no artifacts. :cool:

whats the equivalent of a ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR in nvida language (it is more in my price range)

also, are there any ‘mx’ type versions (poorer quality versions) that i should look out for and not buy, or if i buy a ATI Radeon 8/7500 i am assured to get a good video card.

tia

GeForce4 MX 4xx is just a faster GeForce2 MX. MX is the worst crap u can buy! Go for a GeForce3 Ti 200 with 128mb DDR RAM, You can get a GeForce3 Ti200 for $150

not to be rude to the ati supporters, but ati has been known to tweak their drivers in order to benchmark better ;). look for a good, HONEST REVIEWER (nothing against tom’s hardware, but that guy will say anything for free sh*t). i’d suggest maximum pc, as they tend to go the most psycho in their testing

Yes I agree. I think a good idea would be to just use google and do a search for graphics card reviews.

You should find many, many sites that will review every card under the sun and then some.

Look for the consistently highest rated card also look for the site that do reviews like:

Best Budget
Mid-Range
Kick ass

It might be boring to go through loads of webbys but at least that way you get to know what you are buying.

Originally posted by SchiZomaGORE
GeForce4 MX 4xx is just a faster GeForce2 MX. MX is the worst crap u can buy! Go for a GeForce3 Ti 200 with 128mb DDR RAM, You can get a GeForce3 Ti200 for $150
well the cheapest gf 3 ti200 around me is about $225 (£160) and i have decided not to spend that much money.

btw, according to the specs, a GF 4 mx is about 7 times better than my currect riva TNT2 32mb!

Originally posted by shuebhussain
[B]well the cheapest gf 3 ti200 around me is about $225 (£160) and i have decided not to spend that much money.

btw, according to the specs, a GF 4 mx is about 7 times better than my currect riva TNT2 32mb! [/B]

Now THAT was expensive!!! are you really sure about that? We´re talkin about Ti200 NOT Ti500

defo ti200. dont u know us briton get ripped off and pay 2 x the price americans pay.

eg a PS2 costs £200 now here ($293 !)