Video card upgrade

vbimport

I currently have two GeForce 7800-GT video cards in SLI. What current video card would increase my gaming performance but at a reasonable price ($100-$150)? I play first person shooter games and I’m wanting to be able to play Duke Nukem Forever.

My system is old.
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
Athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+
2GB RAM
600 watt OCZ power supply

The motherboard has 2 PCI Express x16 slots.

Thanks

How about something along these lines for the replacement cards

GeForce GTX 460

or maybe 2 of these

GeForce GTX 550

a lot of them are within the price range you specified if the price is ($100-$150) per card
and do not need over a 600 watt PS most only need a 400+ watt PS. :iagree:

Thanks getit. I was thinking of just getting one card that would be much better than the two I have now. I haven’t had much luck finding any comparison charts that show cards like mine against newer cards.

[QUOTE=RichMan;2591214]Thanks getit. I was thinking of just getting one card that would be much better than the two I have now. I haven’t had much luck finding any comparison charts that show cards like mine against newer cards.[/QUOTE]

you won’t be able to directly compare your current SLI setup but you could download the benchmarks they run and compare your own system to the numbers in the charts :slight_smile:

Also just wanted to point out that your CPU may be the bottle neck on some of these games/benchmarks if you upgrade the GPU.

If you are not overclocking the 3800, you may want to consider upgrading the CPU as well (you can get chips cheap on ebay)

Or, maybe just get a whole new rig and sell your current one to help fund it.

Thanks for the link. I’ve not run a benchmark for years. It’s a good idea.

I think I’m maxed out on the CPU options for this motherboard. I don’t overclock.

Getting a whole new system is out of my budget right now. Hopefully I can put a few more band-aids on this one. I started with only one 7800 GT and eventually bought another one off Ebay.

A GTX460 1GB card would be a good one to get: Stay away from the “SE” versions. A 768MB version is okay to get too, but there are fewer of them available (1GB is better anyway).

EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $135 after rebate.

You can then use this card later down the road when you build a new system.

Thanks Eric. Any idea if my motherboard is PCIe 2.0 or 2.1? My guess is it is 2.0 (if even that). I was unable to find an answer on the MSI site.

Next I need to see how much money the wife will let me spend… :frowning: I think I can squeeze out $150-$200 if I talk nicely and do some laundry or dishes.

The x16 slot is backwards compatible.

My concern would be is it forward compatible. I see some of the video cards saying PCI-E 2.1. What if my motherboard is 2.0?

fully compatible :iagree:

RichMan, I found some great motherboard/cpu combo deals…http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Thanks for confirming Eric and thanks Airbud for the suggestion. I only have about $150 to work with at this point though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591
this rocks! easily OCs +25% $129.00 after MIR.

Thanks James. The link didn’t work but I think you are talking about this:

Eric said stay away from the SE versions. What’s that about?

I just need to convince the wife that I ‘need’ the upgrade.

I truly appreciate all the advice.

[QUOTE=RichMan;2591590]Thanks James. The link didn’t work but I think you are talking about this:

Eric said stay away from the SE versions. What’s that about?

I just need to convince the wife that I ‘need’ the upgrade.

I truly appreciate all the advice.[/QUOTE]
Not sure, feedback seems positive. I am a rookie on hardware so I am sure eric has a good reason. I have been using this card for 4 months with no problems. Very quiet @100% fan speed. SE might be a power hog.

SE has a lot less cores that the regular version has.

The SE 460 version has 288 Processor Cores where as the
regular 460 version has 336 Processor Cores.

Why not an AMD/ATI card? The AMD 6850’s will end up around the budget price sometime this year…may not be as good as the 5850s of last year, but they consume less power too, however probably still room to spare over nvidia’s product equalents.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=radeon+hd+6850

Thanks folks, for the clarification and the suggestion.

I have not ruled out Radeon cards. I just don’t know how to compare what is available to what I currently have. I guess I should run some benchmarks and then compare results found from other cards.

My guess is that a single $150 card from today will be better than my current two card SLI setup. I would just like to be sure so I don’t waste money.