Video card makers

vbimport

which is the best? i am getting the GF4 mx440 ddr but i dont know which make. i want a comprimise between cost and performance.

suggestions please eg: guillemot, hercules, sparkle, creative labs...

cost/performance = ATI do always win :stuck_out_tongue:

But that was not your question. I’ve rather bad experience with Creative. Hercules have always been very high quality for me.

The others I don’t know…

When it comes to cards using the GPU from a manufacturer like Nvidia or 3Dfx (out of buisness), I have bought the cheapest ones. You can use the generic drivers from Nvidia most of the time.
I have an el-cheapo GF 2MX made by Cardexpert, it works just fine, and the speed is on par with the more expensive ones.
Be sure that the specs are the same though. Ram speed, etc.

Hercules are known for quality, but my experience is a little different, since it was faulty from factory…
I think Creative are good, my GTA3 mate (he solved the stutter now BTW:)) have a 4600 and it’s kick a**!

If you want to waste money, ASUS or ELSA (but they are bankrupt so I don’t know if they’re avalible) are nice… :slight_smile:

But for a MX I say go for the cheapest, as they are very much the same all of them…

watch for hercules as they don’t update their drivers too often (Might just be UK)

Originally posted by OC-Freak
cost/performance = ATI do always win :stuck_out_tongue:
Different makes make ATI card, dont they (i have seen a hercules 1). which is gooD?

what should i be paying for a ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR orATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR? when i look at those price comparision sites, they all say more than i can get it for :confused:

i have seen:
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR £103($150)
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR £178 ($260)

now i am sure i will get either my friend’s gf4 mx440; ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR or ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR :slight_smile:

Your choice of Video Card depends on what your main usage is.

If you use your computer mostly for work, get a card that is stable and gives accurate rendering in 2D such as the Matrox cards.

Last year I bough a G400 second hand from a friend and loved it so much I replaced my MOBO shortly thereafter to take full advantage of all its possibilities (I used to run an old LX board).

I’ve been able to take full advantage of my 19" Hansol Monitor since, which seems even sharper now running at 1600x1200 than it was at 1280x1024 on the old card!

As a matter of fact, I can even run the thing at 1920x1440 and it’s still sharp (running at 60HZ, though, because higher pushes the clock rate too close to the limit of the monitor) but unfortunately too small for my aging eyes…

Anyway, it’s just my $0.02. Dunno much about newer cards, anyhow my buddy Pierre, who builds computers for a living, swears by the GeForce series.

HTH…

Originally posted by shuebhussain
[B]which is the best? i am getting the GF4 mx440 ddr but i dont know which make. i want a comprimise between cost and performance.

suggestions please eg: guillemot, hercules, sparkle, creative labs… [/B]

I’m going to buy a G4 4400, so I had to look a lot for different makers also… and as for me, it’s either Gainward (golden chip series has very good “performance margin” :stuck_out_tongue: ), Abit (nothing special, standard Nvidia design, but usually well cheaper), and Leadtek, my personal favorite with very good cooling solutions (good stability and still cheaper than most others).

Chaintech is also on the cheaper side than Asus and Creative, but their design tends to be more on the “show” side than the usefull one.

Leadtek video cards are for me the best!
I/ve got a gf3 ti200 and i overcloched it to a gf3 classic and it is not to hot!
And is cost was not to expensive!
It’s a gf3 but for the gf4 I know that Leadtek make ever good cards!